Whats up w all the HUMVs showing up on TV in Iraq/Seria

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I know there a few Military guys on here. WTF is up with all the US Military gear (Like HUMVs) being driven around by isis loosers?

Did we really leave that much gear over there?

Why wouldnt we blow that $h1t up on the way out?

Dont we at least have some sort of milspec Lojack on them that would be a great target for a Predator?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
We gave most of that stuff to the new Iraqi armed forces. And when ISIS started to move into Iraq a vast majority including 16 M1A1 tanks was abandoned when the Iraqi army retreated from around Mosul and northern Iraq.

So yes the M-16's, M249's, M2 HB HMG's, Humv's, M1 Abrams was given as military aid to the fledgling Iraqi nation

OhIIICobra

Established Member
The American taxpayer wouldn't like the logistics bill associated with moving all of it back to the states. Obama already has us racked up to $18.2T in debt and people would bitch that police and other government agencies shouldn't have a "scary" vehicle in their inventory.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The American taxpayer wouldn't like the logistics bill associated with moving all of it back to the states. Obama already has us racked up to $18.2T in debt and people would bitch that police and other government agencies shouldn't have a "scary" vehicle in their inventory.

this!!! We can take solace in the fact...That without routine maintenance, parts and the know-how....they won't be using it for long.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Dont we at least have some sort of milspec Lojack on them that would be a great target for a Predator?

Also a cost prohibitive option since Hellfire's go for $110K a pop and keeping a Reaper airborne cost about $5K per hour and you'd be risking a $16M asset to go after a dogged out Humvee.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
We gave most of that stuff to the new Iraqi armed forces. And when ISIS started to move into Iraq a vast majority including 16 M1A1 tanks was abandoned when the Iraqi army retreated from around Mosul and northern Iraq.

So yes the M-16's, M249's, M2 HB HMG's, Humv's, M1 Abrams was given as military aid to the fledgling Iraqi nation

M1 Abrams?... Please tell me we did not seriously give those ****ing raghead terrorist assholes multi multi million dollar tanks?...

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member

Ok.. I have to call BS on this comment. My Brother is an M1 technitian and was in Iraq 3x. They rotate all their gear back with their unit. So we are paying the freight both ways on most of this stuff anyway. It sounds like most of this gear was abandoned by the Iraqi Defence Forces, which is just very sad.

I also don't buy that these Humvs will be decrepid and out of service in short order. History has shown people to be resourcefull enough to keep them running. The M1s are a bit different. Turbine engines electronics etc. I bet these have been sold off to the Chinese already. Don't be surprised if the next gen Chinese Tank will be a reverse enginered knock off of an M1.

truefiveo

Established Member
I know there a few Military guys on here. WTF is up with all the US Military gear (Like HUMVs) being driven around by isis loosers?

Man you have no idea, the shitty logistics involved with closing a FOB/COB.
It would disgust you on where your tax dollars go over there, as many out of work Americans who could really use just one of those Vans, tow trucks, buses, equipment we left to the Afghanis/Iraqis.

I speak from 12 years of experience in both Afghanistan and Iraq as a civilian and US troop

Last edited:

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Ok.. I have to call BS on this comment. My Brother is an M1 technitian and was in Iraq 3x. They rotate all their gear back with their unit. So we are paying the freight both ways on most of this stuff anyway. It sounds like most of this gear was abandoned by the Iraqi Defence Forces, which is just very sad.

I also don't buy that these Humvs will be decrepid and out of service in short order. History has shown people to be resourcefull enough to keep them running. The M1s are a bit different. Turbine engines electronics etc. I bet these have been sold off to the Chinese already. Don't be surprised if the next gen Chinese Tank will be a reverse enginered knock off of an M1.

Why are you on SVTP asking questions then if your brother told you?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5e260a-1bde-11e3-b4fb-944b778463f5_story.html

It is a fact that rotating military gear back from these theaters is cost prohibitive. You gonna tell me that it cost the same in 2014 to ship an M-1 back that was sent in 2004. LOL.

The Iraqis actually purchased a shit load of high dollar gear like the M-1 Abrams for a discounted rate and are in the process of buying 175 more.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Why are you on SVTP asking questions then if your brother told you?

Well, for reason not very relavent, I don't chat with my brother that often. I was under the impression (from a past conversation with him) that his unit shipped all their vehicle over from Ft Hood, and then brought them all back when their deployment was over. Maybe this not done 100% of the time? I would be the first to say I don't know how these logistics are handled all the time. My original question was based on this assumption that units brought there gear back with them.

Somebody please clarify, but I doubt we had M1 tanks shipped over there in '04 that were still in service for the whole duration til '13. I have seen shows where the M1s get stripped down and refurbished to be put back into service, so I am pretty sure they got rotated back with some regularity.

oldmodman

Established Member
My biggest worry is that we abandoned Stinger ground to air missiles and launchers.

With those they can bring down civilian aircraft from two miles away.

And all they have to do is FedEx them to somewhere here in America.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Well, for reason not very relavent, I don't chat with my brother that often. I was under the impression (from a past conversation with him) that his unit shipped all their vehicle over from Ft Hood, and then brought them all back when their deployment was over. Maybe this not done 100% of the time? I would be the first to say I don't know how these logistics are handled all the time. My original question was based on this assumption that units brought there gear back with them.

Somebody please clarify, but I doubt we had M1 tanks shipped over there in '04 that were still in service for the whole duration til '13. I have seen shows where the M1s get stripped down and refurbished to be put back into service, so I am pretty sure they got rotated back with some regularity.

Yes and no. We shipped 12 CH-47D's to Bagram, flew them there and brought them all back. However, there were also aircraft there that had been there for several rotations. I saw MRAP's being loaded into C-5's that were stateside bound, and I also saw them getting holes plasma torched into certain areas to make them unserviceable. Most of the stuff that was left there had been there for many years, while most of the stuff that I saw being sent back had only been there for a rotation, or possibly two.

OhIIICobra

Established Member

Firstly I didn’t bring up the M1 Abrams issue, but it is indeed fact several were gifted and several were sold to the Iraqi government.
You inquired why stuff was left over there and I explained...you called BS. It is purely a budget issue like I said and showed in the links. When you are allotted $6B to get out of town, you prioritize and take the best bang for the buck from a logistics standpoint. Heavy armored vehicles aren’t always the best choice when you are loading up a C-17 at $15,000 per ton in costs to taxpayers. Driving convoys to a port isn't always feasible either. This is why our government sells items that are impractical to ship to the host nation to recoup whatever they can, even in the form of scrap metal.

Inflation, shipping and fuels costs are/were astronomically higher than they were at the beginning of OIF/OEF and $6B only gets a small percentage of your best gear back. The Soviets went through the same shit and you can see how it devastated them economically.

I’ve been part of BRAC’s and experienced bare base and other logistics planning for OIF/OEF support in addition to a few other operations before those.

OhIIICobra

Established Member

It is cost prohibitive to ship it all back CONUS.

Yes, it is cost prohibitive to ship it all back CONUS.

It would be cost prohibitive and a waste of costly munitions.

No & no, again cost prohibitive and a waste of resources.

Your profile says you are a Lean Six Sigma Blackbelt. Did they not cover Lean Logistics at all in any of your training?:idea:

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Your profile says you are a Lean Six Sigma Blackbelt. Did they not cover Lean Logistics at all in any of your training?:idea:

Of course. I have worked many logistics projects and have over $20MM in savings to my credit over the last 15 years. I should have not used the "BS" comment, as that was way to harsh. (sorry)

I am actually a little surprised to hear there was actually some significant cost savings, logistics that played into our decisions as we were managing our withdrawl in '13.

I also think that future risk and liability would play into this. Just the thought that future US forces might actually have to go out against our own armor and weapons would have made us put more effort NOT leaving anything usefull behind.

Anyhow.. It just drives me nuts to see our equipment being driven around on TV by terrorists and potentially being used against our own brave soldiers that are likely to be back over there soon.

And, lots of things play into logistics. Many make the mistake of considerring only known options such as A or B type decisions. We still have bases in Italy, and Soudi and Jordan are at least friendlier than the locals. I bet there were better options to get that gear out of there.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Of course. I have worked many logistics projects and have over $20MM in savings to my credit over the last 15 years. I should have not used the "BS" comment, as that was way to harsh. (sorry)

I am actually a little surprised to hear there was actually some significant cost savings, logistics that played into our decisions as we were managing our withdrawl in '13.

I also think that future risk and liability would play into this. Just the thought that future US forces might actually have to go out against our own armor and weapons would have made us put more effort NOT leaving anything usefull behind.

Anyhow.. It just drives me nuts to see our equipment being driven around on TV by terrorists and potentially being used against our own brave soldiers that are likely to be back over there soon.

And, lots of things play into logistics. Many make the mistake of considerring only known options such as A or B type decisions. We still have bases in Italy, and Soudi and Jordan are at least friendlier than the locals. I bet there were better options to get that gear out of there.

Here is a simplistic example of budget constraints since you seem to be missing that element entirely which honestly baffles me given your credentials as a Six Sigma Black belt:

Your mom gives you her last $6.00 to buy 15 pounds of apples. Apples cost $1.58 per pound. They also cost $1.58 per pound at three competing grocery stores in your neighboring towns as well. How many pounds of apples do you think you’re gonna bring home to mom? (Hint: 15 pounds is incorrect regardless of how friendly you think the cashier is.)

Additionally, ISIS in an M1 Abrams is the equivalent of my 4 year old nephew hoped up on Pepsi in a Bugatti Veyron with a naked and horny Kate Upton. Sure he can fumble around and annoy her but that’s about it.

snakedoctor

Established Member
Additionally, ISIS in an M1 Abrams is the equivalent of my 4 year old nephew hoped up on Pepsi in a Bugatti Veyron with a naked and horny Kate Upton. Sure he can fumble around and annoy her but that’s about it.[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

Users who are viewing this thread