what's the word on toluene?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
So after talking with some old schoolers this weekend- they suggested running toluene instead of torco or other kinds of octane boosters. as I understand it -toluene is paint thinner you can buy in the can at lowes or other home improvement stores. any thoughts or experiences with this- cause it seems a little too good to be true.

Teej281

Established Member
Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees Celsius (Honda accomplished this in their Formula 1 cars by routing the fuel lines through the muffler system to heat the fuel). Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties as standard gasoline does, which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear.

Just took that off Wikipedia, so take it for what its worth.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
wonder if the whole eating fuel pumps and lines thing is true- kinda similar to the whole E85 will destroy your engine propaganda (not true at all btw if you're reading this)

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The problem with Toluene is that you would have to run a large amount to have any benefit to increase octane enough to warrant the cost.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I thought it was like 10 bucks a gallon? where as torco is more expensive. I just need to figure something out that is economical-cause NC doesn't really carry E85- you would think E15 would be more available but it ain't-race gas is totally out of the question, and torco is a fortune to maintain all the time

Satyr

Established Member
I thought it was like 10 bucks a gallon? where as torco is more expensive. I just need to figure something out that is economical-cause NC doesn't really carry E85- you would think E15 would be more available but it ain't-race gas is totally out of the question, and torco is a fortune to maintain all the time

Why not just get two tunes, one for the street and one for the track and buy some Torco to keep around when you want to run the track tune? Pulley swap and upload new tune, throw in some Torco and you're ready to roll.

oldmodman

Established Member

I've been buying it in 5 gallon drums at Sherwin Williams Paints. Last time I bought any (10 drums) it was 26.63 for five gallons. Or $5.32 per gallon. I still have lots left.
My reason for buying it is to get my crappy California gas up to 94 octane. E-85 is not available within one tanks range for another fill-up.

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Why not just get two tunes, one for the street and one for the track and buy some Torco to keep around when you want to run the track tune? Pulley swap and upload new tune, throw in some Torco and you're ready to roll.

^THIS!!

Ill be running a 3.5 (stock upper) on my 2.9 whipple on 93 only and a Reichard 3.2" upper on 93+Torco. Thats what Jon Lund recommended I do since I wanted more power, but didnt want to pay for torco to run full time and only 4-5 E85 stations in the SATX area... I'd look into doing something like that OP.

Satyr

Established Member
I've been buying it in 5 gallon drums at Sherwin Williams Paints. Last time I bought any (10 drums) it was 26.63 for five gallons. Or $5.32 per gallon. I still have lots left.
My reason for buying it is to get my crappy California gas up to 94 octane. E-85 is not available within one tanks range for another fill-up.

What volume do you use per tank to raise the octane to 94?
I am only curious because if it is feasible I may throw some in when I head to the track just to keep things safe during the WOT runs.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread