Whats the pros and cons to changing timing? Opinions?

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
You can see my setup below that im running currently, stock upper/4lb lower= 12.5psi boost. Im going to a steggy stage VI port, keeping my 4lb lower, and adding 2.93 upper.

I know from looking at the Eaton pulley chart a stock eaton with this combo should be about 16 psi max boost. Granted that should increase with the port, not sure what it will end up being but reading on here it looks to be 17 lbs with that combo and a ported Eaton.

I run stock timing because i know its safe. Should i increase my timing to get a few more hp out of it. Is it worth it?

I know how timing affects on 60's muscle. Has anyone messed with timing while using Eatons ported or not? How much HP does it really gain? Is the added stress worth it and whats the dangers with the DOHC 4.6's? Prob and cons and anyones personal experiences both good and bad would be very helpful! Thank You!

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
You can see my setup below that im running currently, stock upper/4lb lower= 12.5psi boost. Im going to a steggy stage VI port, keeping my 4lb lower, and adding 2.93 upper.

I know from looking at the Eaton pulley chart a stock eaton with this combo should be about 16 psi max boost. Granted that should increase with the port, not sure what it will end up being but reading on here it looks to be 17 lbs with that combo and a ported Eaton.
Why Stage 6? Seems excessive. 16psi is just about the max you want to run. Boost should drop when porting the Eaton

Who dyno tuned your car? Doing those mods will require much more than timing adjustments. It needs a new professional tune. You're also going to need fuel mods to run that much psi

Intervention302

Established Member
As stated... you'll need fuel mods and a real tune.

Although fwiw, I think you can run around 17-19* timing around 17psi. I'm no tuner though and there's many other aspects

Cbarr300

Established Member
Fuel mods and protune ftw. Btw, when you notice your boost drop, don't think of that as less power. The better an engine flows, the less boost you'll see.

Increased timing will increase your power...but there's a happy medium with it.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Where in PA are you? Contact Kevin Hand at Wicked Motorsports in NJ. He will steer you In the right direction with your supporting mods and give you a great tune to finish your mods. No other tuner touches my cars.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Go get a real tune instead of blowing it up yourself

Why Stage 6? Seems excessive. 16psi is just about the max you want to run. Boost should drop when porting the Eaton

Who dyno tuned your car? Doing those mods will require much more than timing adjustments. It needs a new professional tune. You're also going to need fuel mods to run that much psi

Fuel mods and protune ftw. Btw, when you notice your boost drop, don't think of that as less power. The better an engine flows, the less boost you'll see.

Increased timing will increase your power...but there's a happy medium with it.

Where in PA are you? Contact Kevin Hand at Wicked Motorsports in NJ. He will steer you In the right direction with your supporting mods and give you a great tune to finish your mods. No other tuner touches my cars.

Intervention, Dont worry im not tuning it myself. I leave that to the pros. I get BBR (Booze Brothers Racing) for anyone who follows NHRA esp the street classes they should sound familiar. Charlie and Bryan as good guys esp when it comes to fords and mustangs :)

Jefe, i dont have any plans on a TVS or Whipple for AWHILE so while its getting ported might as well get it done completly. I also like the "stock" look when you open the hood. I want to get as much out of it as i can, while still being safe and with limited risk of hurting the motor.

Im tracking on the supporting mods, BAP, 60's, retune just for starters. Im debating on changing timing. Im familiar with timing on 60's carb cars just not as familiar with DOHC Cobras when it comes to timing. Im afraid of opening pandoras box if i start messing with timing on these cars. ALOT more computers and what not then what im used to and i wanna be safe with it if i decide to adjust it. Thats why i have stuck with stock timing, i know its safe lol.

cbar, that makes sense with it being more efficent and what not. Not sure where the happy med is. Was hoping some of you guy have messed with timing and have found where the happy med is on your car.

Blueline, I about an hr south of harrisburg out in the mountains.

Thanks for all of yall's imput!

Last edited:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I doubt you will see 17psi but if you get to 15-16psi you could run 19* tops you can push it a degree at the track but keep in eye on that A/F. At 14psi I ran 21* DD and 22* at the track in my old upper only ported Cobra.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
I doubt you will see 17psi but if you get to 15-16psi you could run 19* tops you can push it a degree at the track but keep in eye on that A/F. At 14psi I ran 21* DD and 22* at the track in my old upper only ported Cobra.

Thank you for the info. I forget what stock timing is, if i remember right it was 15*. If so i dont think i want to go over 19* like you said. My setup 2.93/4lb lower i think i might start with stock timing and see what she puts down then go from there. Im more conservative when it comes to timing and A/F, i would rather not risk hurting the motor.

Last edited:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
If you have access to E85, you can bump your timing up to 23° or so.

Each car is different. On the dyno, Lee adds timing, but if it doesn't make anymore at 23° than it does at 22°, it gets left at 22°.
I've heard stories of cars that can handle crazy timing, but mine doesn't need it. All my peak power was at 22°.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Last edited:

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
If you have access to E85, you can bump your timing up to 23° or so.

Each car is different. On the dyno, Lee adds timing, but if it doesn't make anymore at 23° than it does at 22°, it gets left at 22°.
I've heard stories of cars that can handle crazy timing, but mine doesn't need it. All my peak power was at 22°.

Gotcha, not sure about E85 here im at in PA. Any changes needed to go from 93 to E85?

Last edited:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
You need to be able to provide about 30% more fuel to the engine. I'm sure of what fuel mods you have now, but that's the just of it.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
You need to be able to provide about 30% more fuel to the engine. I'm sure of what fuel mods you have now, but that's the just of it.

None at the moment, all stock. With going to a streggy ported blower with a 2.93 upper im going with 60's and BAP and i should be good with that. So with E85 fuel upgrades and a retune? Thats something i will have to look into. My cobra doesnt get driven a whole lot... less than 1,500 miles a year i would say.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread