Whats the pros and cons to changing timing? Opinions?

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
You can see my setup below that im running currently, stock upper/4lb lower= 12.5psi boost. Im going to a steggy stage VI port, keeping my 4lb lower, and adding 2.93 upper.

I know from looking at the Eaton pulley chart a stock eaton with this combo should be about 16 psi max boost. Granted that should increase with the port, not sure what it will end up being but reading on here it looks to be 17 lbs with that combo and a ported Eaton.

I run stock timing because i know its safe. Should i increase my timing to get a few more hp out of it. Is it worth it? :shrug:

I know how timing affects on 60's muscle. Has anyone messed with timing while using Eatons ported or not? How much HP does it really gain? Is the added stress worth it and whats the dangers with the DOHC 4.6's? Prob and cons and anyones personal experiences both good and bad would be very helpful! Thank You!

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Are you tuning the car yourself? If not are you sure your car is running bone stock timing tables? You should let your tuner figure out timing as a lot goes into it.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Are you tuning the car yourself? If not are you sure your car is running bone stock timing tables? You should let your tuner figure out timing as a lot goes into it.

I dont tune it myself, i let that up to the professionals lol. I get BBR (booze borthers racing)to do all of my tuning. If you follow NHRA drag esp street classes they should sound familiar :) I told them i wanted to keep stock timing untill i research it more. I will talk to them about more when i get it retuned after i port my blower. I was wondering if anyone has messed with timing on our Cobras and if its a good idea, horror stories, and what not.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The short version is don't play with the timing yourself. Let a tuner who is familiar adjust your timing. You need a dyno to see where the gains are as simply adding timing past a certain point does not always make power. Also the tuner needs to be monitoring for knock and make sure you don't surpass the limits of your fuel.

ctgreddy

Established Member
What is stock timing? I know on the majority of eaton cars, regaurdless of port/pulley combos many people like to run 21/22 degrees. I run 19 and spray a 70 shot with that. This spring I'll be tuning it myself and will make 2 tunes one with 21*'s and one with 17/18 for nitrous since I'm gonna up the shot a little. I have no clue what stock timing is, but I'd just let the professionals do what they usually do for your setup. a ported eaton/16-17lbs is a common setup so I'm sure every tuner has done a few of those.

Users who are viewing this thread