What's the most ridiculous horsepower story you've ever heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
Ok, I know every one of you out there has met people like this.... You might be at a parts store, hanging at a party, maybe a sports bar, or anywhere having a conversation about engine mods and horsepower when some moron chimes in and tells you a story about how he gained 50 horsepower just by putting in a K&N filter, or how his honda civic with just an exhaust smoked a corvette one time, or blah blah, etc. etc.

For example- recently I got into an argument with some dope at work who told me that I could easily gain 5-10 rwhp just by switching motor oils. He also informed me that in addition to getting the magical horsepower-increasing oil that I should put a wing on my truck, which would greatly improve my 0-60seconds time. Wow, thanks buddy!!!

Anyway, all this got me to wondering. I want to hear the most ridiculous stories that you guys have ever heard regarding horsepower, engine mods, cars, trucks, etc.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I used to work at Autozone and had a guy come in to buy blue headlights for his beat up 95ish grand am. In the process of me finding his light number he was telling me how he wanted to get a turbo on his 4 banger and run it down into the 7's in the quarter. That shocked me of course and I asked him if he was sure about that. He said "Yeah, I've seen lots of guys do it."

Oooookkkaaaaay.... :rolleyes: :loser: :kaboom: :bs:

EDIT: In all fairness he was a pretty cool guy and really like my Cobra and asked me lots of questions about it. I figure he just had the wrong friends who were idiot ricers.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
MoneyPit said:
For example- recently I got into an argument with some dope at work who told me that I could easily gain 5-10 rwhp just by switching motor oils. He also informed me that in addition to getting the magical horsepower-increasing oil that I should put a wing on my truck, which would greatly improve my 0-60seconds time. Wow, thanks buddy!!!
Actually there are proven dyno results on that.
It was more than motor oil though.

Motor oil, rear end, tranny fluid and P/S fluid all switched to synthetic. Picked up a solid 5rwhp every pull.

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
one time i was riding with my friend in his V6 mustang and he was revving at this chick in a LS1 SS (yea he is a ricer lol) trying to get her to bite but she ignored us. about 10 seconds later this guy drives up next to us with his window down and was like "were you trying to race that SS camaro?? you know those thing run the quarter mile in 8-9 seconds." i just looked at him like i was impressed with his fun fact.

but i already knew thats what they run, i mean come on its an LS1. :D

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
when u said "chick in the LS1 SS" it reminded me of that chick who was on these boards... used to fight with elise on the boards haha

UCBeau

dorkyls1chick

she and elise hated each other..and i guess she and leeann hate each other too

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
SanDiego01Snake said:
dorkyls1chick

she and elise hated each other..and i guess she and leeann hate each other too
I kinda miss Leeann sometimes, anyone heard or hears from her?

loudpipes

Cheating Death Since '81
Established Member
I had this retard at the DMV tell me he could coax 900hp out of a freaking Cobalt SS. I said, "Well with enough money you can do anything."

Then he said he could do it for "around 2-3 grand." I scoffed and ask him how (with a 'are you freaking mental'?? look on my face.

He said "exhaust, intake, headers, cam, heads, a new blower, and stroke the motor." I asked him (barely containing laughter) "you really expect all that to just cost between 2 and 3 grand???"

He said, "oh you'll see! just wait til I see you in your vette!"

Thank God my number was called shortly after that and I told him "Good luck with your "project"."

I don't think he appreciated the the sarcasm, hahah!

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
My buddy had a 82 GMC single cab truck. It had a 454. He told me it had 600+ HP and ran high 11's/low 12's. It was stock except for exhaust.

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
loudpipes said:
I had this retard at the DMV tell me he could coax 900hp out of a freaking Cobalt SS.

That's hilarious :-D :-D

You should have played along and told him to get an aftermarket wing. You know those are worth an extra 25-50 rwhp easy :D

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
Actually there are proven dyno results on that.
It was more than motor oil though.

Motor oil, rear end, tranny fluid and P/S fluid all switched to synthetic. Picked up a solid 5rwhp every pull.

+1. ive seen those reasults aswell. less frictions they say frees up that 5hp right

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Not a horsepower number, but nothing I've seen or heard has beat the Prius owner claming to have killed a Viper.

(someone linked it here a couple months ago, it was on a Prius-owner's forum)

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
or i was recently at a car show in reno and this guy in a mystic vert parked next to me and was tellin everyone he has 525 rwhp. so i look at his car to see what he had becasue i have 520 myself and he strts tellin me things he has... header, i take a look and stock manifolds. pulley swap.. he has a stock pulley. everything there was stock down to havin a stock intake not even a cold air or anything. only thing other than sound system that looked like it was not stock was a catback. and he told every single person he had 525rwhp with out them askin , he would jump out and say yeah im putting down 525.

Last edited:

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
04cobra408 said:
+1. ive seen those reasults aswell. less frictions they say frees up that 5hp right

In theory I can understand the increased hp claims. Added friction modifiers/less detergents = more ponies. I can maybe see a couple added hp here or there, but also figure that as you drive over time your oil breaks down so the whatever you gain initially I don't see it sustaining through until the next oil change.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
My cousin argued with me that a 98 civic with just intake and exaust and rear seats and passenger seat, beat a 2004 z06 in the 1/4.....

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I had one kid tell me his cousin had a AWD Roush Mustang. It also had 300rwhp and 410fwhp. Not really sure how it worked. That might explain why he never made it passed the 10th grade.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
A guy with a 91 integra that used to work for me used to say he'd wax my car until I told him what I ran the first time I went to an 1/8th mile track. Needless to say they were shocked at my pathetic 9.5 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread