whats the deal...

Presteige

Established Member
I have read on multiple fourms about the oil seperators...

I have an oil seperator on the Driver side and JLT breather on passenger side.
Is this wrong? I have 4-5 local friends who run ther systems this way and when I had it tuned the tuner said nothing about it. But I was told on here its the wrong way to do it.

Should I have oil seperators on both sides?
Does it even matter?

cobracide

Established Member
I have the JLT pre-filter on both sides. This is GOOD because it keeps the oil out of the intake system.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
so your saying its better to have two filters going back into the system and no breathers?

What I'm saying is breather and/or oil separator is better than stock setup. You can delete the whole pcv system if you want. I figured the oil seperators were the easiest and best way.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This thread is quite confusing. Op are you talking about running an open style breather? Cobracide uses the prefilter made by JLT which is a closed style filter which only prevents oil from getting sucked into the inlet tube and the the blower. Thats why he's running them on both sides. I use the JLT oil separator on the driverside which in turn is suppose to help keep oil out of the blower. My passenger side is stock yet.

I would NOT run a open style breather on my car such as a k&n or moroso which goes right on top of the valvecover, which can create un-metered air some will say.

cobracide

Established Member
This thread is quite confusing. Op are you talking about running an open style breather? Cobracide uses the prefilter made by JLT which is a closed style filter which only prevents oil from getting sucked into the inlet tube and the the blower. Thats why he's running them on both sides. I use the JLT oil separator on the driverside which in turn is suppose to help keep oil out of the blower. My passenger side is stock yet.

I would NOT run a open style breather on my car such as a k&n or moroso which goes right on top of the valvecover, which can create un-metered air some will say.

Yeah, I think he has one side breather and the other an oil separator. Your right - that doesn't make sense to me either. I wanted to keep my pcv system sealed.

cobracide

Established Member
I'm not sure of the implications of deleting the pcv system on our cars specifically. That's why I kept the system sealed. I do know some some people have pulled the entire pcv system off and have dual breathers.

Presteige

Established Member
It will be easier to just remove breather and reseal passenger side rather than removing blower to delete pcv.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It will be easier to just remove breather and reseal passenger side rather than removing blower to delete pcv.

Yes and you can put a JLT pre filter on the passenger side if you want. I may end up doing this at some point. Mainly just to keep oil out of the intake tube and possibly entering the throttlebody.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The passenger side is the inlet side.
The only time oil vapor comes out that side is at WOT, it is at that point that there is enough blow by that the PCV can't handle it all.
It then comes out BOTH sides.

That's why some of us put something on both sides.

IMHO if you are going to put a open breather on the passenger side, you might as well go ahead and do it on both sides.
Effectively eliminating the PCV completely.

At that point however it is not much different than a full blown race car, and may not pass a visual emission inspection in certain locations.

Digital

Established Member
I'm not sure of the implications of deleting the pcv system on our cars specifically. That's why I kept the system sealed. I do know some some people have pulled the entire pcv system off and have dual breathers.
That's what I have. Duel breathers. That shit is entirely gone lol. You should do that and then have it tuned as it can effect your tune.
I will say ahead of time that shit gets your entire bay all types of dirty.

066-1.jpg

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
That's what I have. Duel breathers. That shit is entirely gone lol. You should do that and then have it tuned as it can effect your tune.
I will say ahead of time that shit gets your entire bay all types of dirty.

066-1.jpg

No thanks - Just don't want to deal with cleaning the engine bay. Sealed is the way to go for me. I'll forfeit a few horses on that. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me with a pcv system.

mrose75

Established Member
I'm so confused. Initially I'm wondering, "wouldn't Ford have figured this out, why change it?". But the. I realized we aren't talking about the stock set up anymore either. So I guess I need an education on PVC, breathers, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

stal94gt

Established Member
venting the pcv does not vent metered air. the reason ford has the pcv and the other breather going into the intake is to meet smog regulations. i am a fan of keeping some vac on the crank case with one side venting atmospheric. this ensure you dont build pressure in the crank case which will rob hp. the pcv valve is nothing but a check valve to prevent pressure going into the crank case. many run both breathers into a vented oil catch can to keep the engine bay clean.

cobracide

Established Member
There is more to it than just smog emissions. Adding one or more breathers can throw off your fuel trims, increase oil contaminants and change your air/fuel ratio among other things. I have installed the two oil separators and am leaving the pcv system intact, thx. If anyone is considering changing or deleting the pcv system, it would be wise to research the issue so they know the implications. modularfords.com have a few threads on this that are informative.

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I had duel breathers on my last 4v mustang but it was turbo. Had it dyno tuned and never had a problem.

I did it to get rid of the whole pcv system to make the engine bay look less busy but yes you do have to clean the engine often.

I'm still researching this topic for my 03 to see what direction I want to go as well, but there is a lot of info out there on this topic

stal94gt

Established Member
There is more to it than just smog emissions. Adding one or more breathers can throw off your fuel trims, increase oil contaminants and change your air/fuel ratio among other things. I have installed the two oil separators and am leaving the pcv system intact, thx. If anyone is considering changing or deleting the pcv system, it would be wise to research the issue so they know the implications. modularfords.com have a few threads on this that are informative.

most people who mod cobras should be getting a dyno tune to correct fuel trims when pulleys are swapped so adding a vented catch can or filters is fine. the stock tune is written to compinsate for the air being passed threw the vents. all pcv and the passenger side vent does is release what little blow by gets past the pistons and the windage. i have run vented catch cans and filters on my prior cars with out a problems after a tune. now i do agree that the system should have a vacume on it so a oil air sep, or draft tube are both good setups. anyone who trust a can tune for long term has bigger problems than running a catch can.

GodStang

Established Member
I had one vent and one oil separator. I am about to run the oil separator to both.

Users who are viewing this thread