What's the big deal with the name "Shelby"?

Vett-Klr

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Did you get the z51 option? Those are nice numbers in your sig. I could find myself in a C6 if the prices stay over msrp on the gt500.
anyway, nice vette :beer:

Thanks, the C6 is way better than the C6, the way it drives, handles, looks, etc. I was worried about getting one but I couldn't be happier now.
I did not get the Z51 option, I opted for the F55 version. I had hoped to break into the 11's before the cam but my patience is wearing thin. The C6's can't achieve a decent 60 foot time.
The same mods on my C5 Z06 ran 11.72. People claim there no Torque Managment on the mn6 cars, they are wrong.

I'd love a Shelby, but anything more than MSRP is a no for me. The same reason I did not get a new Z06. It's all about principles.

chuckstang

Established Member
Im not familiar with c6 options, what entails a F55 option?
What mods do you have?
I think 12 flat is pretty dam impressive for a basically stock 400 hp car
thx for the info

Vett-Klr

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Im not familiar with c6 options, what entails a F55 option?
What mods do you have?
I think 12 flat is pretty dam impressive for a basically stock 400 hp car
thx for the info

Oh, sorry about that. F55 is the magnetic selective ride control. You have 2 settings, sport or touring. I drive to the track on touring and the car absorbs the bumps on the road, then I switch to sport for the harsh bumpy, sporty ride at the track. It works very well on the C6.
I have a cold air intake and headers, stock mufflers.

drmustang

Banned
12 flat in an F55 C6 coupe with only headers and an air intake is excellent.
There is a debate ongoing as to whether or not there is some form of torque management, performance reducing software at work on these cars. From what I have seen, felt, and read there is. There are some tuning packages that claim to significantly reduce this factory gremlin.

Vett-Klr

Established Member
drmustang said:
There is a debate ongoing as to whether or not there is some form of torque management, performance reducing software at work on these cars.

I think there is...
I base my opinion on the fact I can run barely .1 quicker with with ET Streets over the runflats.
I ran 12.1's with the runflats and 12.0's with ET Streets. Something doesn't make sense. Every time the the car bites hard on the launch it dies. the best launches contain some amount of wheelspin.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Man if there was ever a group that I thought to be bashing Shelby I never would have guessed it to be a Mustang crowd. I don't think I need to go into a history lesson, either you are up on your past and present muscle car knowledge and can respect those who did so much or you aren't...not much else to it. If you don't like Shelby that is fine, don't bitch and complain about how he has had no involvement...the man made the Mustang what it is. I think most will agree with me in saying while his experience with this car might have been limited it was well deserved as a tribute. Think of it as more than just a look back but as an homage and a way to make a mends with a man who put the Mustang where it is today.

Randy Fontenot said:
AS far as COCo,with GM., What has he done lately-with GM.

COPO 9561 or your high po 427 Camaro of 1969. This project was made possible by a man named Vince Piggins he is to Camaro what Shelby was to Ford. Men like Don Yenko, Dick Harrell, Fred Gibb, as well as dealerships such as Dana, Nickey, Baldwin Motion and Berger are all names in that respect that you should look forward to seeing in the future. GM has just as deep and rich of a racing history here, just because Shelby hasn't worked with them doesn't make them any less competitive.

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
No Carrol Shelby bashing here. Most Fordaholics are well aware of his colorfull career and achievements.

Pasting the S H E L B Y on the back of the latest SVT/Special Edition Mustang would be no different than GM offering a Camaro and slapping YENKO on it. Both actions would generate interest but have no meaning in regards to the design and development of the current vehicle.

No bashing, just the reality.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
grimreefer said:
I'm going to put C O L E T T I across the back of my duck tail. :pepper:

I do have to agree with this. Even though he had no real hands on with this car, they did take from what he was able to accomplish, and without him the mustang, or at least the SUPERSTANG (COBRA, GT500) would be dead by now. We owe Coletti more credit than he will ever get.
I would love to just shake his hand

-Jeff

stang22

Established Member
drmustang said:
No Carrol Shelby bashing here. Most Fordaholics are well aware of his colorfull career and achievements.

Pasting the S H E L B Y on the back of the latest SVT/Special Edition Mustang would be no different than GM offering a Camaro and slapping YENKO on it. Both actions would generate interest but have no meaning in regards to the design and development of the current vehicle.

No bashing, just the reality.
Wait until next years model,..you'll forget about the rest! ;-)

No not really,next year models will sell as this years models. I agree you may see John Coletti in the future again involved with the mustang. Lets not forget the Boss429,I think thats what he pulled out some years back verses the Big-Block Camero. Who knows he just may get involved with the rummors about the future Boss thats being talked about after the Shelby Gt500-run for 2 years. Remember the next generation body style is not too far away.I also would like to shake Mr. John Colotti hand,but I guess his Autograph on my 2003 S281Cobra#97,will be sufficent enough along with Steve Saleen Autograph.It's a first time ever that these two men autograph the same unit. Mr. coletti signed mt radiator shroud 9/27/02,if i remember correct .I really need to pop up my hood to be accurate,and steve saleen signed it in the left corner glove-box,color coded door panell passenger side and under the hood of the car in the center,with offical documents to verify there signature from both corporate offices SVT/Saleen.Believe me its a miriacle that they took time from the busy schedule to do this for me.I really appreciate it.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Randy Fontenot said:
No not really,next year models will sell as this years models. I agree you may see John Coletti in the future again involved with the mustang. Lets not forget the Boss429,I think thats what he pulled out some years back verses the Big-Block Camero.

Uh no, he was still in college when the Boss 9 came to power. Coletti was credited with the saving of the Mustang back in the early 90's when Ford was going to give it the ax. He is very much like GM's Scott Settlemire, truely a very influencial and important guy in the Mustang history.

chuckstang

Established Member
Vett-Klr said:
Oh, sorry about that. F55 is the magnetic selective ride control. You have 2 settings, sport or touring. I drive to the track on touring and the car absorbs the bumps on the road, then I switch to sport for the harsh bumpy, sporty ride at the track. It works very well on the C6.
I have a cold air intake and headers, stock mufflers.
Cool thanks. I imagine you switch it to touring for drag racing

chuckstang

Established Member
Whitten said:
Uh no, he was still in college when the Boss 9 came to power. Coletti was credited with the saving of the Mustang back in the early 90's when Ford was going to give it the ax. He is very much like GM's Scott Settlemire, truely a very influencial and important guy in the Mustang history.

Coletti was involved in the modern day 429 which was an orange and black 95 coupe I believe. It was down right nasty, made about 800 hp and hit 60 in just a few ticks. I still have the mag article somewhere. IT WAS BADASS

stang22

Established Member
I think people will be pleasantly surprised when next years production shelby(hello!! that means an '08 model) :rolleyes: that all the Shelby bashing will stop,..and it'll be 3 notches better than the svt version! Mark my words,..watch! ;-) Only drawback however will be a more costly car but it'll have alot cooler looks,performance,..and probably reduced weight!

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
chuckstang said:
Coletti was involved in the modern day 429 which was an orange and black 95 coupe I believe. It was down right nasty, made about 800 hp and hit 60 in just a few ticks. I still have the mag article somewhere. IT WAS BADASS

I was refering to cars that actually were made, I didn't even think of that SVO car that they built. Yes it was bad ass. I have seen the motor out of the car and on an engine dyno as well. 800 hp...ahaha it had more in her when I saw her of coarse they had tuned on it alot. I am sure that we will see colleti again some day. I was hoping he would take over the CEO function at Ford seeing as how he would be a great advocate for all of us gear heads...alas that will more then likely not happen any time soon.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
chuckstang said:

You're refering to the Boss 10.0 Cobra. I remember when that car beat GM's top Camaro concept which also had as much hp. :D

Last edited:

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
i think its cool having the name Shelby on the car and i think he is a legend, but really all this guy was doing was expressing his opinion. everyone has one......some are cool and some are crap. CWCobra's opinion of the name Shelby, to me, is crap but its CWCobra's crap not mine.

mrGT

Established Member
BOSS 10.0
PicFetch

LINK TO SPECS

Users who are viewing this thread