What's the best thing you've done to trick you significant other???

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
I promise this isn't as sketchy as it sounds... But I am working on convincing my wife that the cost of some shiny new TF wheels and maybe a TVS are good investments for the winter build. Working on it but with little to no luck. Which is to be expected honestly. HAHA. This got me thinking.

What is the best lines/tricks/lies/etc you have used to convince your significant other that a not really necessary parts purchase, car purchase, or any purchase really is a good decision and that she/he should support it? I'm sure there are some good ones out there. So let's here them!

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Wilmington, eh? I'll be there at Buccaneer Gun Club for the monthly IDPA match Saturday.

As for tricks, the only thing I've got is what I tell mine about firearms sales, trades and purchases. I tell her every time I sell or trade a gun. I NEVER tell her when I buy one.

And yes, to all those here who tell their wives everything, I did too for many years ... until I didn't. ;)

Not sure how to apply this sage wisdom to your situation, but that's the best I got.

Last edited:

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Nice! I haven't been to Buccaneer in a couple years. i had to get out of IDPA matches. Spending too much on cars and guns. I still have all the goodies but shoot way less now. And I also never mentioned firearm purchases. They would just appear and we would both act surprised. HA

04dreamcobra

Established Member
As long as i don't have to sing it. She may tell me to just buy it and quit singing. Seeing as i cant even carry a tune in a bucket.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I worship the ground my queen walks on but I have been a little inaccurate with the price of some of my firearms.

Also I convinced her that a Dodge Challenger scat pack is one hell of a winter//daily driver due to its weight and all. It’s too big and heavy to slide on snow.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
The older I get, the more sneaky and conniving I get, and for two reasons. My memory sorta sucks, so I can't remember what lie I told to cover the lie before that, while my younger wife can remember. I figure the less I say, the better off I am.

The second reason is you reach a point in life where you're usually in trouble with the spouse anyway, so it's just easier to go ahead and do whatever it is, and deal with the consequences later. She doesn't know what I've done about 75% of the time anyway, so I'm not in any more trouble than usual.

ron-swanson-i-can-do-what-i-want.png

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If you have that kind of cash to throw around, ask her what it is that she really wants, then get it for her. Most women always want something, and you, being the great guy that you are, provide it for her. Now you are free to buy whatever you need. If this doesn't work, you need a new woman.

Rare40th

Established Member
Open a credit card without her knowing. Use credit card for purchases of TF wheels and TVS with supporting mods. Then sell a few dime bags on the streets and pay off said credit card before she finds out. In the mean time buy her something nice.......like a candle and an I love you card lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
only thing I can think of is I damned sure buried the receipt for my motor in the car receipts pile. She hasnt asked and I havent volunteered, I think she knows better on that one.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
In the past, I just sort of got what I wanted (needed) and took the ass chewing. I'd say something along the lines of "I needed it, so I got it. I am sorry, but I don't know what else to say." Nowadays, I have abandoned that mindset, but apply light, steady pressure over a period of time (days, weeks, months) and she will cave.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
... but apply light, steady pressure over a period of time (days, weeks, months) and she will cave.

This is a fact, and a strategy I've used when it involves the purchase of an entire vehicle, which can't be hidden in the gun safe or workshop.

I took this from my kid's playbook many years ago.

Daddy!
Daddy!
Daddy!
Daddy!
Daddy!
Daddy!
Daddy!
WHAT???!!!??!!!!
**and then give them what they want so they'll just shut up.

08mojo

Established Member
Easy: the wife and I keep our finances completely separate. I don't get mad when she buys expensive girly things (shoes, purses, etc...) and she doesn't get mad when I buy stupid guy things (car parts, bike parts, etc...).

We have common 'investments' together such as the house, retirement plans and savings--as long as those are paid into as expected, we are free to spend the rest of our money (that we each earn) how we please. I never understood why people do joint checking/spending accounts. I don't want someone looking over all of my purchases, because what's important to me, may not be important to someone else--all that can do is lead to disagreements.

lilcoop03

Established Member
Easy: the wife and I keep our finances completely separate. I don't get mad when she buys expensive girly things (shoes, purses, etc...) and she doesn't get mad when I buy stupid guy things (car parts, bike parts, etc...).

We have common 'investments' together such as the house, retirement plans and savings--as long as those are paid into as expected, we are free to spend the rest of our money (that we each earn) how we please. I never understood why people do joint checking/spending accounts. I don't want someone looking over all of my purchases, because what's important to me, may not be important to someone else--all that can do is lead to disagreements.

THIS A MILLION TIMES. She has her money and I have mine.

Very well said. It mirrors exactly what I wanted to say.

Users who are viewing this thread