what's the best marine corps base in the states?

03cobrah

Established Member
so far i've been to the navy base in pensacola, really nice liked the food there as a student. then i went to another navy base whidbey island, in washington really good food there from time to time, nice scenery liked it a lot.

obviously marine corps bases aren't going to be that great compared to the other services, but i've been hearing good things about mcas miramar. have yet to go there.

Last edited:

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
depends what you like bud. I just left MCAS Beaufort it wasnt to bad Savannah 45 mins south and Charleston 45 mins north. MCAS New river is a shit hole lol but great if your young and like to party bars and strip clubs EVERYWHERE that was my first base I was stationed and it was a great time.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
None of the bases are nice, its the areas they're in you wanna look at.

Miramar is nice from what i've heard.

Quantico or Arlington aint bad either.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Whidbey Island isn't bad cause I'm from Wa and know the area and what there is to do in the state, but other people hate it. Probably the most fun I've had was when I was out at Pendleton. Haven't been stationed there yet, but when I was training there it was cool.

03cobrah

Established Member
Whidbey Island isn't bad cause I'm from Wa and know the area and what there is to do in the state, but other people hate it. Probably the most fun I've had was when I was out at Pendleton. Haven't been stationed there yet, but when I was training there it was cool.

yah trained there too, actually had 2 buddies that had family down, the best time i've had in the marine corps so far. went to bellingham..

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I like Camp Pendleton. I went to field medical service school out there in the early 00's. The weather isnt bad. It's huge with a lot fo camp grounds and a couple of recreational beaches on base. It's only a half hour north of San Diego. It used to be somewhat safe to go to Tijuana, although since I went to school there I think its become a lot more dangerous or possibly off limits for all I know.
Outside of Camp Pendleton, when you are off base, you are off base. Unlike some places I've been to where you leave base and you still have ****ers sizing you up and getting in your business. (camp lejeune-jacksonville). I got the impression that the CA bases/commands seem more relaxed in some ways.
I'd say disadvantages of Pendleton is that the base is big and depending on your units location, you could be burning a lot of gas and waking up early to get to work. There is always a lot of sand in the air that lands on your car, so you clean it more often.

Miramar is nice too. I have only been there a few times to pick people up or use the PX. I'm a corpsman and I've never heard anyone say they didnt like it there.

All the other bases I like are also in CA but they are not Marine bases.

BlwnSn8k

S/C Whine = Smile on Face
Established Member
I would have to agree that Quantico is by far the nicest actual Marine base I have been too. I was stationed at PI for 3 years. Being from the Savannah area, it wasn't bad. During my time and the few years after they did a lot of rebuilding on the base. It is actually really nice now. Just have to deal with families and traffic on Thursday's and Friday's.

Like SLOW95 said, 45 minutes from Savannah and 45 minutes from Charleston; you always have some place to go and have a good time. I can't speak for out west since I was never stationed or traveled out there.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Camp Lejeune is a nice base. But the climate sucks and the city of Jacksonville is even worse. Although, it is close to nicer cities like Raleigh, Wilmington, etc. So on weekends you can go elsewhere.

I've been to 29 Palms in CA, but that was for Mojave Viper. So I didn't really get to experience normal life over there.

Sounds like you're an air winger though. I've heard good things about Cherry Point.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
Camp Lejeune is a nice base. But the climate sucks and the city of Jacksonville is even worse. Although, it is close to nicer cities like Raleigh, Wilmington, etc. So on weekends you can go elsewhere.

I've been to 29 Palms in CA, but that was for Mojave Viper. So I didn't really get to experience normal life over there.

Sounds like you're an air winger though. I've heard good things about Cherry Point.

:lol: cherry point. sure if you want NOTHING to do. at least down at new river/lejuene you have stuff to do off base. here the only thing, and I do mean the only thing to do off base is go to walmart. there are no restaurants, no clubs, and one shitty run down movie theater. to do anything you have to drive to morehead (nothing there other then restaurants and the beach), new bern (nothing there but restaurants), or jacksonville.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
If you go to NC you'll have The Driftwood, a fine classy establishment. That is if it is still there, since the last time I was down that way was 2006.

Yup it is still there and that one shit hole right outside of new river is still there too lol.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
lol, those places will never close cause there is nothing else to do in the area! in fact I laughed cause I heard a driftwood comercial on the radio about an hour ago.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
depends what you like bud. I just left MCAS Beaufort it wasnt to bad Savannah 45 mins south and Charleston 45 mins north. MCAS New river is a shit hole lol but great if your young and like to party bars and strip clubs EVERYWHERE that was my first base I was stationed and it was a great time.

Exactly.... if you don't have kids and love outdoor activities then I'd say SoCal, Oki, or Hawaii. There is almost ALWAYS something to do no matter what time of day or year. Not real kid friendly IMO though. (except Oki is real kid friendly)

CLNC is one of my FAV's. Great schools @ every level. The downside is you have to drive an hour to do things (although Cali has the same drawback). The other "downside" if you can call it that, is there are a LOT of "ooh-rah" types around. And it is about the most Marine town in the Corps. Jacksonville's residents are almost all Marines, Retired Marines, Marine dependents, or Civilian/Gov't Contractors. But the base itself is beautiful.

If you like more "laid back" here is a list.
- K-Bay
- Blount Island
- MCLB Albany
- Cherry Point
- MCAS Mirimar
- Iwakuni

"Moto" bases
- CLNC
- CPen
- Oki (Camp Schwab or Hansen are prolly the worst in that regard)

But they closed the 2 BEST in the Corps in the late 90's. El Toro and Tustin were the bomb. They were small, in OC, ALWAYS something to do. GREAT Women. Surfing, Skiing, Clubbing, A MILLION colleges it seemed like, there weren't a gazillion Marines around. It had it all.... Damn- those were the days:rockon:

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
"Moto" bases
- CLNC
- CPen
- Oki (Camp Schwab or Hansen are prolly the worst in that regard)

I was on Hansen for a few years. Definitely very tight leash when it comes to everything. I remember walking all the way to the gate with a group of guys (because the retarded liberty policy in Okinawa) and not being let out the gate because I wasn't wearing a belt and everyone had to turn back around so I could get one. The gate guards on Hansen were the most "by the book" liberty policy ones compared to the other bases. The dress policies seem to be the most strongly enforced there out of anywhere I've been. Expect to dress like Steve Urcle in order to go anywhere on that base. My barracks on Hansen was a dry barracks, no alcohol regardless of age.
The MP's rove Kin Town during peak liberty hours right outside of Hansen like you're living in a police state or something. This isnt nearly as common right outside the other Okinawa bases.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
The one in my rearview mirror........

j/k...

Camp Pendleton...for being an Army guy and seeing that place, they really got it going on. And everything from San Diego to LA is in very short driving distance. I dont know what its like to work there, but the base is nice, and the surronding area is good 2 go

Users who are viewing this thread