Dex V what Ford runs correct?
amsoil syn ATF
GM syncomesh

Or anything else?
I want nice smooth shifting u know?

Thanks

rtvickers

Established Member
I use Royal Purple syncro. I may switch to Amsoil. Just because I use it in my motor. I have a few extra quarts of Syncro laying around if you decide to go that way.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
GM Syncromesh in my Cobra since Day 1, almost 10 years ago now....52k miles, 500+ passes on the strip. Shifts like butter....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle)...

I love this stuff! It is basically a very high film strength version of our MaxATF product with added protection and our proprietary Synerlec additive.

I have had it in my T56 since 2005 and in my SVT Focus 6 speed since Dec 2011, works great, smoother shifts and quieter operation.

Mystic03

Established Member
royal purple synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle)...

I love this stuff! It is basically a very high film strength version of our maxatf product with added protection and our proprietary synerlec additive.

I have had it in my t56 since 2005 and in my svt focus 6 speed since dec 2011, works great, smoother shifts and quieter operation.

+1

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Amsoil Synthetic ATF

Everyone who drove my GT500 that was still using standard Mercon V was in love with the difference, and my car still had the stock shifter. They all thought I had installed a new shifter.

Wut he said!! I had Royal Purple Syncomesh in my T56 Magnum.. Good stuff no doubt.. I thought it was the best.. Then I switched to the above stuff with Troy and there was a significant difference in smoothness and cold fluid shifting!!

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
Do any of the chainstores sell theamsoil or RoyalP? I just did the clutch and drained the fluid...I used the run of the mill autozone dex.. what a step back.. I don't know what was in it before;but it Sufis now!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Do any of the chainstores sell theamsoil or RoyalP? I just did the clutch and drained the fluid...I used the run of the mill autozone dex.. what a step back.. I don't know what was in it before;but it Sufis now!

You can find Royal Purple at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, and other large retailers in the auto parts business.

Amsoil is a bit more exclusive where it's found on the shelf. A search on AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases can tell you if any are in your area.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Unleashed-I run amsoil sig in engine but still run dexron III in t-56. What would you put in the trany amsoil ATF or MTF? cars about 650 RWHP,some track time.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Haven't tried the Royal Purple yet.

I have tried the GM Sycromesh, Amsoil ATF, Valvoline non syn ATF, Mobil1 non syn ATF and Mobil1 Full Syn ATF. I have found the Mobil1 full syn worked best in all conditions.

I get fluids very cheap, some free. (BMW Master Tech)

Next up is Royal Purple but since the Full Syn has done so good and I get it for -5 bucks a quart. I think I will stay with it.

y2kpony

Established Member
I don't mean to thread jack but I have 17,000 original miles on my cobra and the shifter, trans, clutch etc. is still stock and as far as I know has original trans fluid. Should I change it just due to the age of the fluid that's in there?

Users who are viewing this thread