What's the best catback for me - Bassani of Magnaflow?

Given these choices - what's the better CB (no other exhaust mods)

• Magnaflow

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Bassani Quiet Thunder

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Bassani Street Comp

Votes: 58 35.2%

• Total voters

sjw985

Established Member
What's the best catback for me - Bassani or Magnaflow?

I'll preface this with the obligatory "yes I searched" - this site, other sites, and have been reading the retrieved posts voraciously for about 5 days now. :read:

And I still don't know what to do.

I want a catback, and just a catback. No x-pipe, catted or otherwise, or any other exhaust modification (headers, etc) at least until I'm out of warranty. Stock H stays.

I don't want something ricey or obnoxiously loud (I need to talk on my cell alot in the car). That seems to rule out Stingers (loud) and Flowmaster (drone - had them on my 99).

I have pretty much narrowed it down to Bassani (probably QT) or Magnaflow. Again, catback only.

Unfortunately, none of the clips I can find (mustangexhaust.com, magnaflow.com, etc) have ONLY the CB. They all have other exhaust mods, so I can't do a direct comparison.

So of the two above.... given a desire for a louder-than-stock, not obnoxius at cruise, deeper tone preferred, but no gravel/popping/echoing/rasping/droning permitted etc, and forget about the $$ difference:

1) Which would you prefer for sound,
2) Which has been shown to provide the best power gains in conjunction with a CAI, understanding that without a high flow cat or o/r X it won't be all that much?
3) On the Bassani, I have seen differing opinions on the real difference between SC and QT versions. What's the real scoop on what makes the QuietThunder quieter? Both come with baffles in the SS version, right?
4) Other pros and cons?

Thanks for the feedback - I'm a generally decisive person who's unable to make a decision, and it's driving me nuts!

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I have never heard the maggie without an x-pipe, so I don't know of the sould level...but with the x-pipe its really loud. I have heard the Bassani without a midpipe, and I couldn't even tell that the exhaust is on the car...its really quiet.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm very satisfied with the Magnaflow, but have the X-pipe as well. Bassanni is usually considered a little more aggressive sound wise and is significantly more expensive, but you indicated cost is not an issue. Performance characteristics are probably too close to call. Both excellent products IMO.

Kobraah

Established Member
I've got the Bassani QT for the same reasons you describe. I didn't find sound files to be of much help. On steady highway or freeway speeds with my vert, phone calls are no problem, even if the top is down, so your coupe should be no problem there.

I'm not knocking maggies, just a comment from a Bassani owner who went through the same decision process and is happy with the result. Bassani quality is top drawer, and the sound is throaty, deep, but not obnoxious.

04torchred

Established Member
You can use the ****ing cell phone in the car with the Stingers! If you are cruising in 6th at highways speeds they are not that bad. Everyone makes them out to be so damn loud(they are if you are getting on it good, but most exhaust are then). My "little" S-15 sounded like a monster truck compared to the Stingers. I would get them if you don't want to do any other mods to the exhaust. I can try and make you a clip this weekend and email it to you, but I got a Fluid Mechanics midterm tomorrow so I don't have time tonight. PM me if you would like a clip and let me know how you want the clip done. Drive-by, in car, etc.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
sjw985 said:
...I want a catback, and just a catback.
...louder-than-stock, not obnoxius at cruise
...deeper tone preferred, but no gravel/.../rasping/droning
You may want to consider a Borla 14858 or Steeda catback. Read all about them HERE

If you're just getting a catback, don't get bogged down into which one gives the most power gain. They're all pretty close. Choose it for the sound you like.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
i am in the same boat. I am going with maggies because their tips (not the prettiest cut I'm told) will accept bassani baffles. I figured this would be a little extra insurance in case it was too loud. Once I get it and if the sound quality is fine then I may replace the tips with a rolled version.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
Neither! Go with the Borla Stingers! I'm in love!! But if you have to choose between the two, the Bassani is probably your best bet.

-Mike

Cheapspeed

Established Member
I recently bought my 03 which already had magnaflows, and it sounds great. Quite at idle/cruising speeds, and ''what the heck was that'' at WOT. Either way you can't go wrong.

sjw985

Established Member
Wow... talk about raising a thread from the dead.

8 months later I still haven't chosen a catback. I was signed on the the Amazon signature, but since that has fallen through I decided to wait until at least spring. Leaning toward the Stingers but that could change.

TayWolf55

Established Member
I'm researching stuff for my dad's cobra. I'm thinking about the bassani quiet thunder catback. Though I dont understand why it has to be so dang expensive!

Fallguy

Established Member
The Bassani QT is only avail. on a special order and not mass produced anymore, but they will make you one. The street comp. is the main one now.

I went back and forth and fianlly decided on a Magnaflow. I had one on my GT it was real nice and excellent quality & tone. I wanted to try something different such as a Borla / Steeda CB , but that just did'nt work out.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I too am looking for a little help on sound clips. I have a maggie catback, I love it. Its deep and loud at WOT but not while cruising. Sounds healthy... Ex-girlfriend says it sounds like a ROCKET when I stomp on it. She digs it.

However, I'm looking for a matching mid-pipe to go along with it. Prochamber or x?

For you I suggest the maggie set up. I've heard bassani and it was loud, but extremely poppy... To each their own though.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
OH3Cobra said:
i am in the same boat. I am going with maggies because their tips (not the prettiest cut I'm told) will accept bassani baffles. I figured this would be a little extra insurance in case it was too loud. Once I get it and if the sound quality is fine then I may replace the tips with a rolled version.

Bassani Baffles, is it in the tip of the exhaust because I would like to quiet my car down a little. Magna Cat Back w/ Bassani X sans cats. It's loud, baffles would help I'm sure.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Bassani Baffles, is it in the tip of the exhaust because I would like to quiet my car down a little. Magna Cat Back w/ Bassani X sans cats. It's loud, baffles would help I'm sure.

Ya the Bassani Baffles will fit in your maggies.

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
here's mine on the dyno, sorry no blower whine, but I have the Magnaflow Catback, stock-H

when you are just cruising it is fine, I also talk alot for work while driving, even with the earpiece it is fine.

Magnaflow catback dyno run WMV Format Video

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
BASSANI KICKS ASS!!! do it these guys are smokin dust if they say it sounds stock still, i got it and threw the baffles in the trash and it sounds great not to loud but deep and angry!

Users who are viewing this thread