Whats needed for C head swap

Saleen_1977

Established Member
Yes. Depending on which ones you go with, you may need new valve springs as well. Its up to you to decide if the cost is worth it. They arent cheap.

Yes, I got the 04 Cobra heads coming with stock cams. So I am assuming the 04 cobra head stock cams out perform the 96-98 but the comp stage 3 destroys them all?

nomoretickets

Established Member
Yes, I got the 04 Cobra heads coming with stock cams. So I am assuming the 04 cobra head stock cams out perform the 96-98 but the comp stage 3 destroys them all?
Actually no. The 96-98 cams will produce better numbers than the 03-04 cobra cams. Comp Stage 3 will outperform the 96-98 cams, but idk if I would use the term "destroy" to describe the bump.

98-svt-stang

Established Member
I just finished a c head swap on my 1998 cobra. It took me awhile but im going to get it dyno tuned in a few days.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-2E438492-598E-4E3D-B111-F744F32C7106.JPG
    RenderedContent-2E438492-598E-4E3D-B111-F744F32C7106.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 238

Saleen_1977

Established Member
I just finished a c head swap on my 1998 cobra. It took me awhile but im going to get it dyno tuned in a few days.

Nice. Im looking forward to the results. If they are good enough I may not opt for the stage 3 comp cams and just stick with my 96 cams.

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
Yeah lol, tons of questions, but I'll just ask the main ones.

Been following this thread, and other c head swap threads, as this may be something I'd be interested in doing. Currently have '97 cobra

1. Did you ever take a baseline dyno, to see what the bump was after switching heads? Any other major mods you have done, or just bolt ons?

2. Do you still have the c lower - b upper adapter plate I saw in another post of yours?

3. What all is needed for basic swap? I saw in this thread someone had a spreadsheet of all the parts they gathered, but they were also doing a full rebuild. At very least i know you need:
a. c heads (wanting to grab some out of wrecked '03 or '04 Mach 1)
b. c lower intake
c. c lower to b upper adapter plate
d. ???

4. If using b upper intake, do I need a different crossover coolant tube, or do I need to modify existing crossover tube (will c heads get in the way of crossover)?

5. If using b upper, do I need a different hood, or will it all fit under '97 cobra hood?

6. If using b upper and c lower, what happens to the IMRC's?

7. Using b cams, with c heads, is the best combination, correct?

8. Can the new c heads, be installed with the engine still in car, or do you have to drop the motor for proper installation?

There's a Mustang salvage yard in Georgia, that has a good number of wrecked late model stangs. Several '03 and '04 Mach 1's, that I wanted to grab their heads and c lower intake from. While I was there, I was also going to grab b cams (intake) out of a 96-98 cobra to have an extra set.

A local buddy of mine builds engines and custom intake/exhaust/turbo/head parts, so my thoughts were to drop off the c heads with him, the b cams (intake), and get all new springs, lifters, valves, seats, etc., and let him port and polish c head, install all new internals, and install b cams (intake).

My cobra is my DD, so thats why I thought about collecting all the parts and letting him slowly rebuild the heads with these new parts, and then installing everything down the road.

I assume a basic swap, with what I mentioned above, would run me $1k-$1500. Would you agree?

98-svt-stang

Established Member
Yeah lol, tons of questions, but I'll just ask the main ones.

Been following this thread, and other c head swap threads, as this may be something I'd be interested in doing. Currently have '97 cobra

1. Did you ever take a baseline dyno, to see what the bump was after switching heads? Any other major mods you have done, or just bolt ons?

2. Do you still have the c lower - b upper adapter plate I saw in another post of yours?

3. What all is needed for basic swap? I saw in this thread someone had a spreadsheet of all the parts they gathered, but they were also doing a full rebuild. At very least i know you need:
a. c heads (wanting to grab some out of wrecked '03 or '04 Mach 1)
b. c lower intake
c. c lower to b upper adapter plate
d. ???

4. If using b upper intake, do I need a different crossover coolant tube, or do I need to modify existing crossover tube (will c heads get in the way of crossover)?

5. If using b upper, do I need a different hood, or will it all fit under '97 cobra hood?

6. If using b upper and c lower, what happens to the IMRC's?

7. Using b cams, with c heads, is the best combination, correct?

8. Can the new c heads, be installed with the engine still in car, or do you have to drop the motor for proper installation?

There's a Mustang salvage yard in Georgia, that has a good number of wrecked late model stangs. Several '03 and '04 Mach 1's, that I wanted to grab their heads and c lower intake from. While I was there, I was also going to grab b cams (intake) out of a 96-98 cobra to have an extra set.

A local buddy of mine builds engines and custom intake/exhaust/turbo/head parts, so my thoughts were to drop off the c heads with him, the b cams (intake), and get all new springs, lifters, valves, seats, etc., and let him port and polish c head, install all new internals, and install b cams (intake).

My cobra is my DD, so thats why I thought about collecting all the parts and letting him slowly rebuild the heads with these new parts, and then installing everything down the road.

I assume a basic swap, with what I mentioned above, would run me $1k-$1500. Would you agree?

1. I never took a baseline dyno. From everything I have read I should have been around 270 rwhp. I have mid length headers catted x pipe and a cat back. I made 305 with the c head swab but you can tell it has way more low end and midrange power too.

2. Yes I still have the adapter plate. If your serious about the c head swap I would sell it. If I were to do it again I would have used it. I bought it after I already had most of the parts.

3. Ill have to look through everything and get back to you. You should only need the heads, lower intake, adapter plate, head gaskets, and head studs. You can modify you coolant crossover and fuel rails as long as you have the ability.

4. The coolant crossover attaches to the lower intake so you have to relocate the mounting tabs or buy a 99-01 crossover and weld a coolant sensor bung in.

5. Im almost positive you will be able to keep the stock hood if you use the adapter.

6. You will no longer have the imrc plates. The connecter is sitting under my intake. I had them shut off by my tuner so there is no check engine light.

7. As far as stock cams go b cams are the best option. Now a set of aftermarket cams will be better but you will spend upwards of $2,000 on cams, springs, and retainers.

8. Its possible to do it in the car, but with that being said pull the engine. Its not that hard and you will make the whole job easier. I took the engine and transmission out with a cherry picker and a load leveler.

I think you could do it under $1,500 if you get all the parts for the right price and the bare minimum of head work done. But it always ends up costing a little more than you would expect. And unless you plan on going turbo c heads are the way to go.

Wingless Cobra

Established Member
Awesome, thank you brother.

I don't want to go force injection for multiple reasons... there's something sexy about pushing these 4v's N/A.

I plan on going to that salvage yard in Georgia the first weekend of March. They are only open one Saturday a month which sucks.

Once I go get the heads I'll message you about arrangements for the adapter plate.

Thanks again for your knowledge and help man.

Users who are viewing this thread