Whats needed for C head swap

srtlat

Established Member
I found a thread a while back that someone listed all items for the c head swap.....

Can anyone lead me in the right direction that would be awesome

I found a great deal on some 99 cobra heads w/ the cams included. Would i need to get them cleaned up and a port and polish?

Anything else (motor wise) needed before i go pick these heads up?

Thanks

96dreamer

Established Member
This will get you a very good start, its the list I made as i was doing my c head swap/full rebuild. You can just disregard and lower end stuff. I also used the b upper to c lower intake adapter instead of using the c upper and sourcing new throttle cables which are outrageously expensive.

Attachments

• build list.PNG
    build list.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 442

Saleen_1977

Established Member
Let me ask you this, if I get a 5.0 stroker kit with higher compression pistons and comp stage 3 cams, how much more benefits will I get with going with C heads/intake and not staying with my B's? Will the car still be much improved without the transfer?

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
First a question for you. Why are you dead set on C heads? B heads get a bad rap but they are not a bad head. Some would argue they are better than the C's. John Mihovetz loves the B heads. For starters they have better spark plug threads. Ever hear of a B head blowing a plug? They have better cooling than the C's, unless you find some revised heads. Then you better be ready to pay some coin. They have better flow than the C's in stock form and still flow more when both series heads are ported. Their downfall is the poor cylinder fill (low air velocity) due to the dual intake ports. This kills the off idle torque and makes it feel like a dog on the street. But give the car some shorter gears, bolt on a power adder and the infamous B headed car becomes a beast on top end.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
First a question for you. Why are you dead set on C heads? B heads get a bad rap but they are not a bad head. Some would argue they are better than the C's. John Mihovetz loves the B heads. For starters they have better spark plug threads. Ever hear of a B head blowing a plug? They have better cooling than the C's, unless you find some revised heads. Then you better be ready to pay some coin. They have better flow than the C's in stock form and still flow more when both series heads are ported. Their downfall is the poor cylinder fill (low air velocity) due to the dual intake ports. This kills the off idle torque and makes it feel like a dog on the street. But give the car some shorter gears, bolt on a power adder and the infamous B headed car becomes a beast on top end.

I have 4.56 already, longtubes, CAI, and an aluminum driveshaft. With the cams and stroker it should make up for the off the idle torque loss?

Saleen_1977

Established Member
no, naturally aspirated. I already have a 16 GT with a blower and all the other goodies. I want that NA street fun sleeper type Cobra. I want to do a stroker kit on it and comp cams.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
no, naturally aspirated. I already have a 16 GT with a blower and all the other goodies. I want that NA street fun sleeper type Cobra. I want to do a stroker kit on it and comp cams.

In that case I would go ahead with your C head swap as you planned. When it comes to all out street fun, the C head is hard to beat.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member

In the abstract, from a pure flow perspective, sure the B heads can outflow the C's. But in virtually every respect short of all out max HP racecar, C-Heads are a better bet, ESPECIALLY when staying n/a. The cost benefit analysis not always there for swapping, especially if just doing a mild centri street car.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
In the abstract, from a pure flow perspective, sure the B heads can outflow the C's. But in virtually every respect short of all out max HP racecar, C-Heads are a better bet, ESPECIALLY when staying n/a. The cost benefit analysis not always there for swapping, especially if just doing a mild centri street car.

I agree. Thats why I told him to go for the C head swap after he mentioned he was staying NA and a street car. But he mentioned a 5.0 stroker with high compression. I just assumed a power adder was gonna be involved and some track racing.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
I agree. Thats why I told him to go for the C head swap after he mentioned he was staying NA and a street car. But he mentioned a 5.0 stroker with high compression. I just assumed a power adder was gonna be involved and some track racing.

Yea, higher compression is not good for boost. But, stroker internals and more stroke couldn't hurt when Erving up the 4v. But thanks, I'm going to go ahead and do the swap. Let me see if this link leads to the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread