What's it worth in a year or two-Opinions

JeremyR

Established Member
I think it depends on what the next svt mustang is. If its less powerful then the current 13/14 then that would put more demand on them in the future. If theres a new model thats faster and better then obviously that will hurt the value of these cars. Thats just my opinion.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
5-8k per year in depreciation has always been my rule of thumb with cars. Some makes tank much quicker though

That's a little too strong.

Take an 08 GT500 for example.

$46k new- $32k current value.

$14k in 7 model years.

I paid $31k in 2011 and sold it for 32k in 2012.

Some cars, specifically sports cars, plateau.

1 and 2 year depreciation can be rapid, though.

Mapdog

Established Member
I know this is very general, but I was wondering what others think a loaded 2014 GT500 would be worth in about 2 year with let's say 18K miles on it? Let's assume that Ford doesn't build a monster like the 13/14 Shelby for a while. What do you think the bottom would be for these cars in the future? Keep in mind I'm talking about one with most options.

One or two years will be one thing and it may drop substantially in value. In the longer haul the value will come back but I think a lot of options include things that people are not going to want. The NAV and electronics (IMHO) will not be desirable because they are likely to not work (or be severely outdated). 821a, Track, and Recaros are what I think people will want.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
Here is what my crystal ball is telling me.

Using past model years is not a good tool for the 13-14. First, this is the last model Shelby himself had a hand in developing. Secondly, we all agree that by far this is the best GT500 ever produced with the highest HP so far. The next generation seems to be a GT350 however if have yet to see anything that confirms it will have the "Shelby" name. I have also heard that Ford is considering another "Cobra" run with the new body style.

Lastly, people who have to for various reason quickly "unload" their cars and take them to dealers will cause the "book" values to drop as dealers see these as just another car and are in business to make money so typically they lowball trades and when people accept that alone drops the value.

I traded a rather rare Roush in for my 14 Shelby as I do feel these cars will be the most desired Shelby's made and will hold their values more than the previous model years.

Just my opinion.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
That's a little too strong.

Take an 08 GT500 for example.

$46k new- $32k current value.

$14k in 7 model years.

I paid $31k in 2011 and sold it for 32k in 2012.

Some cars, specifically sports cars, plateau.

1 and 2 year depreciation can be rapid, though.

Like Chris's example, I think 13/14's will be $30k car depending on condition/miles. Maybe do a comparison with 03/04? That was top dog, now it isn't. Prices for a clean low mile 03/04 car are still in the upper teens/ low 20'sI think?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Like Chris's example, I think 13/14's will be $30k car depending on condition/miles. Maybe do a comparison with 03/04? That was top dog, now it isn't. Prices for a clean low mile 03/04 car are still in the upper teens/ low 20'sI think?

I don't see the 13/14s dipping into the 30s anytime soon.

I think in 5 years it'll still be a car in the 40s.

Where the 11/12s will be 30s, and the 07-09s will be high 20s

That's the trend we're seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread