What's everyones favorite shifter?

f2hatch

Established Member
I have the tri-ax and I enjoy it, Im going to switch to the mgw just because of the raving I have heard about it.

Save the money. I did this swap barley notice the difference. I should of just kept the Steeda and spent the money on the MGW dress up parts for the inside of the car and engine. It is less notchy then the Steeda but notchy was never a concern to me i kind of liked it. Just my $0.02

dsfelton

KB Powered!
Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 and like it allot. I went with pro 5.0 becuase that is what I also had previously on my other mustangs. Allot of people on here really like MGW, but I don't see any reason to switch because I have had zero issues with my current setup. You didn't make a bad decision in my opinion.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 and like it allot. I went with pro 5.0 becuase that is what I also had previously on my other mustangs. Allot of people on here really like MGW, but I don't see any reason to switch because I have had zero issues with my current setup. You didn't make a bad decision in my opinion.

I love my pro5.0. A little notchy but i like that...

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
I have an MGW in my cobra but I almost want to try either a pro 5.0 or tri-ax. I have had my mgw for about 1 1/2yrs. For everyone with the MGW, does yours take alot of effort to get into gear? Mine seems to take a little more effort then it should. I know I installed everything correct.

Also for the people that have tried both, what do you like about your pro 5.0 or triax over the mgw?

Jroc

Established Member
Also for the people that have tried both, what do you like about your pro 5.0 or triax over the mgw?

Here's my opinion between the shifters.(I have not personnally driven a 6speed Mustang with a Pro 5.0, but that has always been my favorite shifter on other Mustangs and is what I use to buy)

The MGW cars I have driven were very smooth and quiet compared to the other two, but they also feel more vague when banging gears. While Pro 5.0's and Tri-Ax's feel more notchy(more like a traditional shifter to be honest) they do a better job of going in the next gear when slamming them, and I like the notchiness as it is very communitive with your hand, and makes it easier to tell when its in gear. The shifter in notchy because it made to put it directly into the next gear when shifting.

JMO, but I feel that a Pro 5.0, with a Tri-Ax handle is the best shifter setup for 79-04 Mustangs. I still love my Tri-Ax though, and it was one of the few mods on my car when I bought it, and I haven't felt the need to change it.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
Steeda Tri Ax is dope... but the Saleen shifter is awesome... there's MAYBE an inch of travel between the 1-2 gate and the 5-reverse gate... 1st, 3rd, and 5th look pretty much the same... and the centering spring in strong for the 2nd-3rd shift

svt99rag

Established Member
I have an MGW in my cobra but I almost want to try either a pro 5.0 or tri-ax. I have had my mgw for about 1 1/2yrs. For everyone with the MGW, does yours take alot of effort to get into gear? Mine seems to take a little more effort then it should. I know I installed everything correct.

I have owned the Pro50, Hurst and MGW. My favorite is the MGW but the Pro50 is a great shifter too. I have driven cars with the Triax and personally would never buy one. My MGW seemed to have a break in period, it went into gear ok but powershifting was a little hard, but now its great.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I have owned the Pro50, Hurst and MGW. My favorite is the MGW but the Pro50 is a great shifter too. I have driven cars with the Triax and personally would never buy one. My MGW seemed to have a break in period, it went into gear ok but powershifting was a little hard, but now its great.

I still love my pro 5.0. Wouldnt mind changing the handle alone for something a little more cruise friendly since the pro5.0 is straight up and down almost. Something angled toward the driver would be nicer in town but to bang gears... shorter the better! :rockon:

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
What handle on the MGW is best to have? I like mine as short as possible considering im used to the pro5.0. I would like a little more adjustment but not if its going to make my handle and throw longer...

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
What handle on the MGW is best to have? I like mine as short as possible considering im used to the pro5.0. I would like a little more adjustment but not if its going to make my handle and throw longer...

Get the Orange handle.

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Here's my opinion between the shifters.(I have not personnally driven a 6speed Mustang with a Pro 5.0, but that has always been my favorite shifter on other Mustangs and is what I use to buy)

The MGW cars I have driven were very smooth and quiet compared to the other two, but they also feel more vague when banging gears. While Pro 5.0's and Tri-Ax's feel more notchy(more like a traditional shifter to be honest) they do a better job of going in the next gear when slamming them, and I like the notchiness as it is very communitive with your hand, and makes it easier to tell when its in gear. The shifter in notchy because it made to put it directly into the next gear when shifting.

JMO, but I feel that a Pro 5.0, with a Tri-Ax handle is the best shifter setup for 79-04 Mustangs. I still love my Tri-Ax though, and it was one of the few mods on my car when I bought it, and I haven't felt the need to change it.
I to like the notchy feel. I had a hurst in my S197 and I love it! I loved how it kinda clicked when it was in the next gear. I hate trying to slam gears in with the mgw. It is almost like 2 smooth, Idk how to describe it.

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Question for the guys with a tri-ax and pro 5.0:

Does you shifter sit higher then an mgw? I imagine this has to do with how tall the handle is? I think the main thing I don't like about my mgw is how low it sits.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well i can finally see what the fuss is about with these aftermarket shifters :beer:

i just took a test drive after installing my mgw and it sure is a quality piece!

it sure is a nice upgrade to have a short throw and positive clicking engagement

i have been daily driving a mustang since '96 (prior to july it was my only vehicle) and always been on the stock shifter

wudy

Established Member
I have the pro 5.0, and find it rather short. My problem with the shifter is, because its short im having a hard time hitting 3rd and 5th gear especially when my foot is on the floor. Being over 6 foot tall, I have to sit all the way back, so its a long throw to 3 &5. I built my own adaptor plate that moves the handle 2 inches towards me. That really helped. I will be ordering an MGW sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

pony23

Established Member
I have the pro50 with the Steeda Tri-ax handle. Makes it an awesome shifter. The pro50 handle sucks. It is just straight and is way to far forward

moot09

Established Member
Ive never really like shorter handles. Makes me have to lean forward to shift. On my gt I had a pro 5.0 with a triax handle and loved it. I have a pro 5.0 on my cobra and am wanting to swap the handle on it.

Users who are viewing this thread