Whats considered a built motor?

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
I have been looking to find what makes a "built motor"? These stock 03-04 motors are making 700-750RWHP so at what point do you need to start getting into the internals? Say you change the pistons out to some CP's or what have you (because the pistons seem to be the weak point on these motors) now is that a built motor? You have a steel crank, H-beam rods, and now some good pistons.....oh and don't forget the ARP main studs, 2000 rod bolt, and head studs. So what else do you need to have a "built motor"? Keep in mind my fellow friends that this is just the short block that I am referring to.
Thanks in advanced
:beer:

tommygun

Established Member
crank is fine, rods and piston change as well as balancing makes it a "built motor"

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
So the rods are weak as well? I was under the assumption that the rods were good rods and they could hold some good HP?

torchanniv03

Established Member
^^ thats kinda what im thinking too. the crank and rods are good.... i would say change the pistons and rings, and it should hold everything MOST people are going to throw at it IMO. there are some who want to go over 1k hp, so obviously if you want the motor to last, you would make more changes, but 600-700 range, i would just change pistons and rip on it!

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
^^ thats kinda what im thinking too. The crank and rods are good.... I would say change the pistons and rings, and it should hold everything most people are going to throw at it imo. There are some who want to go over 1k hp, so obviously if you want the motor to last, you would make more changes, but 600-700 range, i would just change pistons and rip on it!

+1!

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
So can someone tell me what Pistons/rods that I would need to last at 1000+HP? I am looking to do heads and cams and i figured if I were to get Pistons/rods that can handle those kind of #'s then I should be good with anything below that.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
The crank and rods are rated to handle 900+HP. The pistons are the weak link.

My 03 was built because the old motor got smoked boosting in 6th, blew a vacuum and burnt 2 pistons. Went back with New block .20 over, stock Manley forged crank and rods (balanced of course), forged JE .20 pistons, ARP hardware, etc. Also ported a set of 04 heads and did some valvetrain work, cool mod, etc. Portwork dropped compression which lowered my numbers compared to my stock shortblock but that was expected.

Just means its ready for some massive boost now! just waiting on my TS and ill be well in the 650's RW range!!

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
To make 1000+ hp you need to have the teksid block for the 4-bolt mains.
The stock crank will do 1500hp so keep that. Get some billet rods from Oliver or one of those guys.
Obviously you needs ARP Main studs, head studs, and ARP2000's. Diamond or CP pistons would handle it. Get the side skirts ceramic coated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread