What would you do???

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hey gang,

Figured i'd check in here and get some opinions from fellow gear heads...

Back in mid april I ordered a header and mid pipe system for my motorcycle. The guy that builds them is out of New Zealand. He has a good reputation (from what I could tell) on the motorcycle forum I found him on. The system cost nearly 1600 bucks, but I wanted the best and from all my research this was the guy to get the system from.

During the sales process he was emailing me back within minutes. He promised me a system in 6-8 weeks and he told me he would split the payments in 3. First payment to place order, second payment once exhaust was complete and on the way to get ceramic coated and third charge the day it ships. Perfect...

Once I ordered the system things of course changed. I guess you can say he went saleen on me...lol. After about 5 weeks of not hearing anything I checked in on him and asked if my system would be ready in the next few weeks...no response for several days so I resent the email. He replies finally that he is backed up but he will working on my system soon...without getting into every detail, he played this game with me UNTIL LAST WEEK! I had to literally threaten to cancel my order and call my bank for him to respond the last few weeks and then he got agitated and was calling me all sorts of names in the emails. I probably sent 7-10 emails that were never answered during this time frame...

I ordered the system on April 14th. That means I should have had it latest mid june. I received it August 21. So instead of the promised 6-8 weeks I got in in 19 weeks! Keep in mind the riding season where I live is not exactly long, which is why I ordered it in April.

Now on to phase 2...system finally arrived and I went ahead and installed it that night. Very nice looking system BUT it didn't fit exactly as it should have and even with new header gaskets and me checking everything 10 times THE HEADERS WERE LEAKING really badly.

Anyways, needing a custom tune for my new setup I went ahead and told the tuner that I needed the headers sealed before my new tune. He told me not a problem and would ensure they are sealed before he tunes the bike. He called me the same day I dropped the bike off and told me that the headers needed to completely come off the bike again and they needed to use double the gaskets (2 copper gaskets stacked on top of one another on all three pipes) plus silicone to seal the headers! He said the headers were nice but didn't fit as they should. This cost me several hundred dollars in labor.

Now on to phase 3...bike is ready to tune. Tuner calls me up and tells me the bike gained great power BUT the headers are so hot, there is ZERO chance I can ride the bike without a shield or header wrap. He took a heat gun to them and they were 806 degrees at the hottest point, which goes inches from your calf while your riding. He also informed me that he tuned it slightly rich to help with the heat but it didn't do much. Again, this was another disappointment considering the guy advertised these headers as running cooler than stock headers and they are ceramic coated to help with the heat.

I picked the bike up and decided to see how it was for myself...I rode home about 15 miles and barely made it. My calf and lower leg were roasting!!!! Literally roasting. I pulled my jeans up and had a huge 1st degree burn all over my inner calf! Now I had to make a choice...either wrap these headers, or get a custom heat shield done for it. Both options I did not want to use. I bought the header because of how good it looked in pics and was told by the company that these run cooler than stock etc etc.

So instead I went out and bought a 400 dollar pair of BMW riding boots that go up to my knee under my jeans...problem solved. Again, this cost me money that I feel like I should not have had to spend.

At this point I was pretty upset but being a small business owner myself I didn't want to cause any drama. So I went on the forum and guess what I find!!! A brand new thread titled "header heat" from another one of his customers!!!! This guy had gotten his system several weeks before me and his header got so hot it roasted his brake fluid (which runs near the header). This customer has literally spent thousands trying to figure out what the problem is. The company told him his tune was way off, so he had it tuned at several places, then they told him his coolant system was off, so he had his coolant system inspected and replaced a few components...after lots of digging he found out the ceramic coating this company was using, was not up to snuff AND didn't apply a thick enough coating to help with header heat!

So here is my dilemma...what would you do...I am tempted to call my bank and do a chargeback on 2 out of the 3 charges considering what I have been through. I feel like I am owed money in a big way at this point. Please let me know your thoughts. Here are some pics...

21032666_10155037766731775_6050783455801810277_n.jpg

20992582_10155037766746775_601070511965256288_n.jpg

20992645_10155037766741775_1377222724193736320_n.jpg

20954050_10155037766836775_5216875490206832194_n.jpg

21105542_10155045748091775_4184294253529267660_n.jpg

ArabianOak

Established Member
Trying not to sound like a dick, but......you actually believed that some random dude out of New Zealand builds the best exhaust system?

You should probably chalk it up as a lesson learned, and move on.

He's done hundreds of these systems apparently. Again, there's not a huge aftermarket for my bike so options are limited. I did do my research though.

sleek98

Established Member
That does look good. You could take it off and have it blasted and recoated by someone else. But to be honest I dont think it will help that much.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If you can't gain any traction with a charge back, you might be better off, to find it within yourself, to let that shit go. The cost and aggravation to pursue any legal action will be far greater than what you've already incurred.

Coiled03

Established Member
He's done hundreds of these systems apparently. Again, there's not a huge aftermarket for my bike so options are limited. I did do my research though.

What kind of bike do you have? Doesn't look like anything terribly out of the ordinary.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
In your position, what would really like to do since he was being an asshole on top of all your troubles, is melt that system down into the shape of a stainless **** and mail it back to him..

But, If I'm honest.. most likely would accept them as is. If you gained some good power from them, think I'd accept that as worth the $ and now if heat is the only issue, probably wrap them and hope to warm up to the look. I actually think wrapped headers look killer when done nicely. Or, Maybe a custom heat shield where needed ?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's a tough pill to swallow, but you have to beware that shit. If I can't drive to someone to punch them in the head if they treat me wrong, I'm not buying from them. It's an easy rule to live by..

I would give him a chance to either send another set, pay for a recoating, or burn the guy down on the forum about it. If he is a douche then just blow him up on the internet which isn't hard to do and then have the headers recoated.

Zemedici

Established Member
Boggles the mind that in this day and age with all of the upper quality manufacturers, that you'd still use a random guy out of New Zealand. Was it an actual business, or just one of those 'hey email this guy' type deals?

What response has he given to the poor fitment and exorbitant heat?

If it were me, I would take them off and throw them in the trash. Riding is hot enough as it is with an engine between your legs. I do NOT want to put my legs next to primaries that are 800 degrees.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
In your position, what would really like to do since he was being an asshole on top of all your troubles, is melt that system down into the shape of a stainless **** and mail it back to him..

But, If I'm honest.. most likely would accept them as is. If you gained some good power from them, think I'd accept that as worth the $ and now if heat is the only issue, probably wrap them and hope to warm up to the look. I actually think wrapped headers look killer when done nicely. Or, Maybe a custom heat shield where needed ?

I like the header wrap idea as well, get some wrap in black or titanium color, will look killer and use stainless zip ties.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Boggles the mind that in this day and age with all of the upper quality manufacturers, that you'd still use a random guy out of New Zealand. Was it an actual business, or just one of those 'hey email this guy' type deals?

What response has he given to the poor fitment and exorbitant heat?

If it were me, I would take them off and throw them in the trash. Riding is hot enough as it is with an engine between your legs. I do NOT want to put my legs next to primaries that are 800 degrees.

He's got a website and everything, also very well know in the Triumph community.

His response has been blame game...your bikes cooling system isn't right, your bikes tune isn't right...etc etc. My bike is brand new and was perfect before his headers.

Zemedici

Established Member
He's got a website and everything, also very well know in the Triumph community.

His response has been blame game...your bikes cooling system isn't right, your bikes tune isn't right...etc etc. My bike is brand new and was perfect before his headers.

So how can he say the cooling system isn't right when it's a brand new bike? You've been on these forums awhile, and all you have is 'nice' stuff.

Will he give you a partial refund to send them back?

ArabianOak

Established Member
So how can he say the cooling system isn't right when it's a brand new bike? You've been on these forums awhile, and all you have is 'nice' stuff.

Will he give you a partial refund to send them back?

He won't do anything. I called and contested 2 of the 3 charges today with the bank. I figure I owe him 1/3 at this point.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a tangled web. Well, you've decided to contest 2 of the 3 charges so let us know how that pans out. You know he's going to fight it.

What was his explanation for the headers leaking and requiring double the gasket plus sealer? That alone cost you several hundred dollars to fix.

Coiled03

Established Member
Got a hard time believing the usual suspects (V&H, etc.) don't offer a system for a Triumph. But I'll take your word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread