What would you do? (Shop issue)

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'm surprised no one asked wife the wasn't in the kitchen...

All kidding aside, leave the review and move on. When my wife and I lived in an apartment, she took her car to Jiffy Lube because I didn't have time and we were going on a road trip. Shortly after, we bought a house and it was time for an oil change again.

I'm guessing the Hulk was working that day because I broke 2 sockets trying to get the drain plug off. Bought a hardened socket set to remove the drain plug and had to buy a filter wrench as well because the filter was so f'ing tight. Neither of which I've used in the last 9 years because I've been doing the oil changes myself.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
My old dealership was charging me less to change my oil than I was able to do it myself.

I would leave the review and chalk it up to a lesson learned

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Sorry about your dealings with the lube shop, we've all been there (usually involves the wife's vehicle lol)

… what is up with the dealer charging you $260 for a loose drain plug... seems like you got f'd twice.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know about Texas, but in Michigan you have to give the original company first shot at fixing the problem. This applies to all of the trades. In Michigan, if you don't take it back to the original shop, they don't have to reimburse you. Also, any reimbursment that a shop gives can be used against them in court to show that they knew they were negligent. No shop owner in his right mind would set himself up that way.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know about Texas, but in Michigan you have to give the original company first shot at fixing the problem. This applies to all of the trades. In Michigan, if you don't take it back to the original shop, they don't have to reimburse you. Also, any reimbursment that a shop gives can be used against them in court to show that they knew they were negligent. No shop owner in his right mind would set himself up that way.
I didn’t take the vehicle to the dealer for a loose drain plug. So are you saying you wouldn’t have authorized the dealer to fix it and taken it to the other shop? Mind you the oil shop kept saying “Well we can’t verify that was actually the problem”.

So if discount tire doesn’t tighten your lug nuts and a wheel comes off in the middle of a road trip, you have it fixed while away from home, discount tire is off the hook?

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I didn’t take the vehicle to the dealer for a loose drain plug. So are you saying you wouldn’t have authorized the dealer to fix it and taken it to the other shop? Mind you the oil shop kept saying “Well we can’t verify that was actually the problem”.

So if discount tire doesn’t tighten your lug nuts and a wheel comes off in the middle of a road trip, you have it fixed while away from home, discount tire is off the hook?

I think he’s right. No offense, but i hope you dont trust discount with that Raptor. I stand right there when getting mine done because Ive seen it ****ed up. I double check the work for my own safety

Bronze123

Established Member

Been doing service and tire sales for ten years. If this company isn’t willing to make you satisfied with a $260, they’re idiots. Could of easily turned out a lot worse, and a lot more costly, so 260 is getting off cheap. If I was in your shoes, I would try a corporate number. Explain you had no visible leaks or signs of their poor work. But the symptoms was above their head and seems unrelated to their work. You made the choice to trust a dealer to perform the work. You know it was done right, and if any future problems arise, it was well documented by a professional of that car. Very least they owe you the cost of cleaning, & oil change. Your choice to see a dealer, that diag fee would be on you. If that all fails, chalk it up as a lesson.

And sometimes you have no option but to see another shop. The discount tire example. If lugnuts are loose, and let’s say the vehicle is shaking at higher speeds. You certainly cant drive it more to get it back to the original service facility. Or say it’s sunday and you need the vehicle back on the road. I would document everything, save old parts, pay cost up front. And ask the location to pay for their mistake. I live in Michigan and never heard of the vehicle must return to the original shop

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
There are allowances in the law to protect people on a road trip, or if the new water heater springs a leak and the original installer is unavailable. But you will still have to go to court and prove that it was impractical to go to the original facility if they refuse to pay. In your case I can see where you would not have thought it was a problem from the oil change and we would have covered your costs. A corporate shop has much stricter guidlines and will stick to the letter of the law.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
When something like this happens to me I tell the Manager I am giving them a chance to make it right before I start posting my social media reviews (Google, BBB.org, FaceBook, Yelp, Angies List, local forums, etc.).

I tell him if he feels he has no obligation to do the right thing, my social medial reviews and word of mouth will cost him much more business then what it would cost to rectify the situation. It is his choice.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a slightly similar issue with a small oil change shop, the minimum wage knucklehead never completely tightened the oil filter and I had a small leak. I went to the dealer for an unrelated issue and the tech informed me what the leak was. Had I not gone to the dealer or got on my lazy ass to check it would have turn into a big issue.

Users who are viewing this thread