What would you do? (Shop issue)

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
So not a performance shop issue, an oil change shop issue...Long story short I told my wife to take her XSport to the dealer to get the oil changed and she decided to go to a small drive in oil change place. Fast forward a couple days and I notice a burning oil smell, lack of power, and smoke coming from the engine compartment. So off to the dealer it went, as I thought it was a turbo issue (still under warranty).

Took the dealer about a week to get to it and they come back with the oil drain plug was loose and the bottom of the vehicle slicked in oil. I authorized them to tighten and clean it up at $260 (includes diag time, etc).

I go back to the oil change place and they point to their “warranty” that if you take it somewhere else their warranty is void. I argue with them that, had I thought it to be as simple as the oil drain plug and not the turbo I would have brought it back (or hell even done it myself). Their response was basically that I shouldn’t have authorized the “repair” and brought it back to them. They offered a free oil change. I denied that because I don’t trust their quality of work and that I wanted to be reimbursed the $260. They said to talk to the owner.

Talked to the owner after multiple times of him “playing hard to get”, he kept the same stance. We agreed that there would not be an amicable conclusion to this and that I would be posting a review of the shop on google and the like. He then threatened to contact my commander for “attempting to blackmail him”, and I let him know to go ahead with that.

So this is just a gee whiz, what would you have done? And yes I realize changing my own oil is the best answer...just didn’t have the time.

Side note: While I was at the shop I witnessed the manager tell a lady that her window regulator was broke and that they had the part in stock and would take about an hour and a half to fix. 30 minutes later I was in the back office while he was calling around to different parts suppliers trying to locate said regulator...yeah sure these guys are very trustworthy.

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Probably nothing you can do other than write some bad reviews and hope people read it in the future.

Can't trust those oil shop places when you have someone making minimum wage who doesnt give a damn about your car working there.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Nail his ass to the wall with as many facts as possible. Does your town have a local site? I’d post it there and anywhere else you can think of.

I personally never take a personal vehicle to one of those hack shops. They are worthless and do more harm than good, even when you’re sitting there watching them they screw things up.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would post a bad review on every review site possible. I would tell about the woman and the threat to go to your CO too. If it is a chain I would send a link to every review to the chains owner. Then I would give the wife a choice, a butt beating or a session of PIIHB.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Probably nothing you can do other than write some bad reviews and hope people read it in the future.

Can't trust those oil shop places when you have someone making minimum wage who doesnt give a damn about your car working there.
This is not true. I had a store manager tell my wife in my absense that one customer one way or the other made no difference. A couple weeks later at a regional meeting of store management they discussed a very unflattering article that appeared in the Washington post and he was told publicaly that another stunt like that and he was gone. One customer does matter and can make a difference. All you have to do is know your options or be willing to find options

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I think the state attorney general usually likes looking into these things as well. When I had an issue with a Ford dealer in California I got directed to the AG and they opened a file on the dealer as they were scamming me, active duty at the time. Something to look into and while it most likely wont pan out with them, no business owner wants to hear the AG is looking into their business.

Coiled03

Established Member
If it's a chain, get in touch with their corporate office ASAP and let them know if it's not resolved to your satisfaction, negative reviews will be posted on every review site they know of, and probably some they don't.

If it's a local shop, tell them you'll contact the local news station and give them the story to investigate, with all the facts and data you have available.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
They are worthless .Mineke is probably the worst of the bunch. Went there one time to have the brakes flushed. So did the job no problem. Came back again to see about a oil change and the tell me that I need the brakes flushed. So I tell them no I don't you just did that recently. Probply walked out never to return again. I am sure everyone has a horror story about those. As for what to do just post a bad revue in as many places as you can, BBB, yelp, etc. $260 would not enough to waste my time going to court over and and maybe losing.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
11105 Westwood Loop, San Antonio, TX 78253
(210) 688-0323
Google Maps

So this is the place. Any of you with better google-fu able to say whether or not this is franchised?

BRNG ITT

Established Member
What place was this so I can make sure everyone I know avoids it like the plague?

Coiled03

Established Member
Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
11105 Westwood Loop, San Antonio, TX 78253
(210) 688-0323
Google Maps

So this is the place. Any of you with better google-fu able to say whether or not this is franchised?

Is this the place? Looks like there's a customer service phone number, and e-mail contact form:

Contact | Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers

Definitely a franchise, BTW. HQ is in Hoover, AL if this is the same company.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
If it's a chain, get in touch with their corporate office ASAP and let them know if it's not resolved to your satisfaction, negative reviews will be posted on every review site they know of, and probably some they don't.

If it's a local shop, tell them you'll contact the local news station and give them the story to investigate, with all the facts and data you have available.

This.

Wife had a similar experience with an alignment. Shop messed it up so bad she had to fight to keep the car on the road. The manager stonewalled me when asking for a refund so I called their corporate office and had the issue resolved in 10 minutes.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Ask them on a monthly basis what is the number of engine replacements they are forced to replace under their warranty. No less than one a week is my guess

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Small claims.

A warranty does not supersede liability.

In other words a warranty does not waive liability.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
What would I do? Take the ass whooping and bitch about it to my friends because you’re wasting more time than $260 is worth. Sadly not much to do, people will still go there for the $25 oil change special.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Small claims.

A warranty does not supersede liability.

In other words a warranty does not waive liability.

What would I do? Take the ass whooping and bitch about it to my friends because you’re wasting more time than $260 is worth. Sadly not much to do, people will still go there for the $25 oil change special.
yeah going to court isn’t an option I’m considering. Now had I lost the engine, that would be a different argument.

Going to corporate is probably my best option besides reviews. Especially considering he threatened to contact my employer.

Users who are viewing this thread