What would you change on your turbo car? (starting my build)

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I am about to order a single hellion Kit for my 03. I wanted to see what you guys would have changed when you did your turbo kits.

I am going to trade my blower parts to a guy with a mach 1 for his upper and lower and few other parts i will need. Is this a fair trade?

Would you spend the 1k to upgrade to the MM stuff? After reading up on some of it, most people say it is not worth it.

What upgrades would you do to the kit if any? I am looking for a mean street car. I dont go to the track but maybe once a year. I am wanting around 700 to the tire. Not sure what numbers i will be seeing.

Should i buy a meth kit? if so which ones have you guys had the best luck out of? Would be nice to be able to run the washer fluid so it is easy to get.

I am going with the lethal budget return fuel kit and 80 pound injectors. I have the factory 03 long block and will prob not push it past its limits. There is no where around here to get E85. so will be running on 93.

I am going with a 26 spline input shaft and mccloud clutch and fly wheel. thoughts on this set up?

Thanks for the help. If there is anything you guys can suggest it would be great.

Joyrider564

Established Member
I have a solid rear with coil overs and I am happy with it. It does have a 3.55 gear and I kind of want to go to a 3.27. This is with a T-56 as well.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have been debating on swapping from the irs too. Want to keep the t56 in mine as well. More of a street car.

f2hatch

Established Member
I want to go auto. And I really don't care for the eBoost2

Joyrider564

Established Member
I have an AEM TruBoost, and I kind of want to switch to an AMS-500, possibly with co2.

Also traction is an issue, then again I am on a NT05, not an R. Thinking about a hoosier, or an NT05r. All this is on an 18" rim as well which may be the problem.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I have an AEM TruBoost, and I kind of want to switch to an AMS-500, possibly with co2.

Also traction is an issue, then again I am on a NT05, not an R. Thinking about a hoosier, or an NT05r. All this is on an 18" rim as well which may be the problem.

I also had the nt05, it was a joke. NT01 has been awesome for me.

On the other hand, I too, would have done higher compression. Maybe 10:1-10.5:1

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I would say with almost 700 to the ground any tire is going to have trouble holding on.

How about the IRS? Half shafts snap yet? Was debating on doing the swap for a solid before i explode the irs.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
going blow thru instead of the hellion draw thru setup for starters.

also hellion needs to get their intercooler centered. its so annoying that it does not sit centered in the bumper.

f2hatch

Established Member
going blow thru instead of the hellion draw thru setup for starters.

also hellion needs to get their intercooler centered. its so annoying that it does not sit centered in the bumper.

+1 Drives me crazy

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
At the time of my build (over 3 years ago), there were not as many choices in fuel system setups.
I went with a popular-at-the-time sumped factory tank with a Pro series Aeromotive pump/filters and big lines.
It has been flawless and made great power and still handles daily driving.

Only drawback is the pump is loud as hell.

I plan to update my fuel system with an 03/04 cobra tank and some of the newer 400+lph intank pumps.

Oh yeah - I would have put an auto in my car in the beginning instead of waiting 2.5 years and breaking 2 T56 trans like toothpicks.

Ryan

Wratchet

HP+RacingXMods/Pay=Broke
Established Member
would have went with a slot style MAF, would have went with intank fuel pump instead of external A1000 to keep fuel temps down

fangs99

Established Member
When you order your kit.... Upgrade to the Precision 7675 turbo..... Also switch to a slot style MAF ( I run a SCT BA5000)...... YES get a Meth kit. I would go with AIS or ALKY Control...... On your Swap There should be some $$$$ on the mach1's end at least for the heaton and all the IC stuff. Oh, on the K member the UPR is fine.... But on the Front coilovers ask for 225 lb springs 175's are to soft for a street car.

My opinion on your setup is that out of boost your car will be a dog with that low of compression. And the turbo won't spool as fast as it should. the T-56 is alot of fun on the street I ran a V spec t-56 with my 3.73's and love it.....car runs good out of boost.... Spins the NTO5's to 100mph even with a roll in to 3rd at 60-70 mph.
Good Luck OP and keep us posted.

Last edited:

fangs99

Established Member
I too went way too big on my fuel system.... I started with a Aeromotive Eleminator return style setup..... Now..... The tank side is a Glens Perf. Back half kit.... I run 2 GS342's externally mounted and they are wisper quiet and still support 1000 hp.

fangs99

Established Member
Here's my combo
10.0:1 short block
MHS stage 1 ported heads and cams
Stock 99 intake w/ 1/2 spacer and accufab tb

Custom single turbo kit with Precision 7675 billet wheel turbo
3 1/2 inch downpipe 2/12 inch Magnapack CB
AIS meth kit dual nozzle.

Viper spec t-56 w/ McCloud RXT clutch
SRA swap with 3.73's

702 rwhp 670 rwtq on 15.5 lbs of boost and 17 degrees of timing.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Thank you for all the good info. Why run the slot maf? What will i gain on the precision turbo?

Wratchet

HP+RacingXMods/Pay=Broke
Established Member
The slot style can be put in larger diameter piping and tuned to increase the range to support higher horsepower. I ran out of range on my sct BA3000 or I would have put down more than 820 to the wheels. If you plan on staying around the 800 mark than the SCT BA3000 should be fine. If you plan on shooting for higher, the slot would be the way to go. Just depends on your piping setup and how high you want to go. Also should try to keep reducers and bends away from the MAF meter as they can cause feedback in the sensor. Just my .02 cents for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread