What Would You Buy?

xenodragon

Established Member
Personally I am getting tired of my 04 cobra. I will never get rid of it, but I am (like probably alot of people) itching to get something new. I still think its a great car, but I really want something updated with a nice interior and upgrades. I will probably throw a whipple on the car and call it done. Then start saving for a used 2011 GT500 or an 03 - 06 Viper

Like someone else said, if you plan on modding the car alot get the Cobra...if you plan on just driving it and leaving it mostly stock get the '11 GT

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Neither. There's a reason I sold my Mustang - it was missing all the new amenities that new cars have, and it was old and clunky. And how I feel about the exterior not withstanding, I just don't think the 2011 will be mod friendly.
Like the '10 Camaro is any different......:poke::lol1::beer:
Remember Kat, those are all opinions. There are people (including myself) who hate the new Mustang's exterior look, new one's are a bit better but I still think the NE Mustang's (especially the Termi) are the nicest one's of the bunch. Some people dont care as much for the interior, to me Vette's (even the new one's) look to plain and dull and the car is not fun for DD (IMO) but people still buy them. Im not expecting Mustang's to have a Navi system, heated seats or anything like that. If I wanted a car with all the nice amenities, I wouldve boughten a luxury car and NOT a sports car.

Black Sex

Established Member
The 2011 GT looks badass. The mod list for the Cobras are huge. They are similar in power but when you start adding mods the cobra responds very well. Im sure the GT will respond well also but already being 11:1 compression, then no power adders unless you run race gas. The GT is slightly lighter. The thing that does it for me is they only made the Cobra for 2yrs. Not everyone is going to have one. Every year that number gets less. Howmany GT's are they making the 1st year? I could really careless about the Nav, and the backup camera. I like my stuff plain and simple....then it's less likely to fail. Look out for that drive by wire, it might take off on you ;-)

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Fully depends on what you want to do.

Want a daily driver with a warranty that you can slap on an intake/exhaust/tune and just drive around? Or do you want a used car out of warranty that has a tried-and-true, "Sky's the limit" potential?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Like the '10 Camaro is any different......:poke::lol1::beer:
Remember Kat, those are all opinions. There are people (including myself) who hate the new Mustang's exterior look, new one's are a bit better but I still think the NE Mustang's (especially the Termi) are the nicest one's of the bunch. Some people dont care as much for the interior, to me Vette's (even the new one's) look to plain and dull and the car is not fun for DD (IMO) but people still buy them. Im not expecting Mustang's to have a Navi system, heated seats or anything like that. If I wanted a car with all the nice amenities, I wouldve boughten a luxury car and NOT a sports car.

Which is why I said my opinion on the looks not withstanding...:poke: Interior or exterior, looks are all personal choice. The OP brought up all the nifty new do-dads (nav etc) so those things are at least somewhat on his mind, and for me those played a major role in my selling my 00 - I could put ~6-7k in the Mustang and make it blazing fast, but still rough riding and uncomfortable to DD, or put that in the Camaro and have something comfortable, chock full of amenities, and well, faster. As for my thoughts on the 2011 modability - the 2010 Camaro has been proven to pick up 60+ HP with just a cold air and exhaust, do you honestly think the 2011 Mustang has that much room to grow? I seriously don't. I could be wrong, but looking at the compression, power per CI, and the fact that it already has nice factory headers, I just don't see it.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Do you plan on making a monster out of it? If you're wanting to make 550+ to the wheels I'd take the 03/04.
If you're just going to do the basics and be happy I'd do the '11.

Either on will be a heck of a car. Just depends on your plans for the car.

This^

To blindly say which to get without knowing plans would be foolish.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Which is why I said my opinion on the looks not withstanding...:poke: Interior or exterior, looks are all personal choice. The OP brought up all the nifty new do-dads (nav etc) so those things are at least somewhat on his mind, and for me those played a major role in my selling my 00 - I could put ~6-7k in the Mustang and make it blazing fast, but still rough riding and uncomfortable to DD, or put that in the Camaro and have something comfortable, chock full of amenities, and well, faster. As for my thoughts on the 2011 modability - the 2010 Camaro has been proven to pick up 60+ HP with just a cold air and exhaust, do you honestly think the 2011 Mustang has that much room to grow? I seriously don't. I could be wrong, but looking at the compression, power per CI, and the fact that it already has nice factory headers, I just don't see it.

I wouldnt say with just cold air and exhaust, you forgot the tune and the LT's (unless the LT's were part of the exhaust statment). I know what the LS3 is capable, my brother owns an LS3 Vette ;-) :beer: They are all sweet car's but I would agree with what jerrad said, depends on what he wants to do to said car's.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
They are similar in power but when you start adding mods the cobra responds very well. Im sure the GT will respond well also but already being 11:1 compression, then no power adders unless you run race gas.

I wouldn't bet on that, with variable cam timing and the oil squirters cooling the pistons, the new 4v is much less prone to detonation.

8 lbs of boost should be easily achievable on pump gas and that should get you to 600 hp at the crank. The big question mark will be how well the connecting rods can hold up, while they are powdered metal, it is a new design and process that is supposed to be both lighter and stronger.

I'm betting new threshold for the short block will be in the 550 rwhp range.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
well, for starters, one will cost $35k OTD while one will be $20-25k OTD.

One features a low compression factory forged rotating assembly and motor that need'nt be touched from oil pan to valve cover, and can handle upwards of 600+whp with blowers and 800+whp with snails. The other is a higher compression non-forged rotating assembly capable of maybe 500-550, if that, before giving up on life.

one is factory supercharged, so bolt on horsepower is easily and mostly cheaply attained. The other is naturally aspirated, with decent displacement, however nobody knows quite how well it will take to boltons.

One car the mod path is tried and true and has already been proven by many. The other is still pure speculation at this point.

One features a modern day rigid chassis, while the other is loosely built upon a old fairmont chassis and needs aftermarket support to make it more rigid.

Users who are viewing this thread