What would cause rim dmage like this?

04YellowGT

Established Member
I bought a set of rims from a guy. I'm currently working on getting refunded and shipping the rims back. He claims he had these on his wife's truck for about 3000 miles and took them off be cause she didn't like the looks of them. He said he had the tires swapped on to the new rims and the shop packaged up the stock rims I bought and he shipped them to me.

He said he never looked at the rims after the shop took the tires off. Is this damage from the removing the tires?? I first thought it was but the more I look at the pictures the harder it is to believe but I'm not sure.

There are nasty gouges, scratches and severe marring on the face of each rim.

IMG_1109_zpsquwrtdrw.gif

IMG_1104_zpsluph7enk.gif

IMG_1105_zpsk2mjhjew.gif

IMG_1102_zps3kafh6z8.gif

IMG_1106_zpsvnhvdser.gif

IMG_1101_zpsvlthflnm.gif

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Looks like damaged incurred by a careless worker taking the tires off the rims to me.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I used to work for a tire shop years ago, you can really f up some wheels if you don't know what you're doing or you are just careless. That being said there are plenty of companies that fix wheels for a reasonable price. Maybe just ask for a partial refund from seller?

04YellowGT

Established Member
He offered to pay to fix them but frankly I don't want them. I don't trust rim repair shops here as I've seen clear coat and finish chip/peel off over time on repaired rims. There are some really nasty gouges in a few spots that I don't even think could be repaired. I asked the guy at least 3 times if there was any damage and he sad no. I would have at least checked before I sent them to someone to make sure the shop or even my wife didn't curb one with out me knowing. He also said they had TPM sensors and they didn't.

So you guy's believe this was done by the tire shop?

Coxy

Established Member
There might be a couple marks from mounting and demounting tires, but not all of them. Usual damage is from the duck head getting too tight on the lip, from a really low pro tire, which will be on the machined part of the lip, or slipping with the bar... Looks like dude is using the tire shop as a scape goat

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The important thing is you were told there was no damage and there is. You don't want them but want a refund. Hopefully the seller will make the refund to your satisfaction. Is he paying for the return shipping?

99arboC

Established Member
I think the tire shop may have did some of it but some of it looks like they were washed with a dirt rag causing the swirls, scratches and marring.
Were they protected well in shipping?

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
Definitely a Tire Machine handled by unskilled hands. I had just tires put new tires on my dads M3's front wheels. Both came back with gouges like that...

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I bought a set of used super duty platinum wheels (picked them up myself) and they were a little dirty. Upon cleaning them up, I found they did not clean up well. There's not rash or real signs of abuse, they are just rougher than they should be, considering they're 1-2 years old. The machined/ black painted pocket wheels from ford seem to hold up poorly. Yours were abused though

04YellowGT

Established Member
The woman remark made me laugh. That's what I was thinking initially.

I'm paying up front to ship them back and he is refunding me the cost of rims plus shipping when he gets them back. I got it all in emails that he agreed to all this. The guy is a big name real estate agent that owns his own business selling high dollar homes so I don't think he would risk his reputation to screw me over. He was kind of being a dick about it yesterday but I think we worked it all out. He almost acted like I was trying to scam him yesterday and I told him straight up that hes the one that stated multiple times they were mint and they clearly aren't. He even tried to accuse me of damaging them myself. Which made no sense. I asked him what exactly I would get out of damaging the rims...

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I swear, I am going to buy a tire machine so none of us have to worry about this type of thing again. Seems like every time I have tires done they end up like this.

Users who are viewing this thread