What would cause oil in the exhaust ports?

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Had to pull my motor for the 3rd time this year cause of a bad build. Pulled the pass side header off and every port looks like this. This motor seen very little run time and no boost.

1F37BFBF-1A90-4BB9-BE0D-DDC1386927BF.png

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That doesn't mean you can dismiss the valve seals/guides as a potential source. I had my '94 Camaro engine rebuilt by Callaway Cars in the mid-90s which included new valve seals/guides. A month later, after driving maybe 400 miles on the re-built motor, the engine died on the freeway. The issue? Bad valve seals/guides. They had to replace them. I'm not saying that your valve seals/guides ARE the issue, just don't dismiss it before checking them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The fact that your engine was rebuilt by Fox which resulted in your oil in the exhaust ports issue certainly points to any number of causes resulting from the rebuild. An incorrectly set valve clearance can cause the guides to fail. Also, a excessively large or small valve guide clearance can cause the guides to fail.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
The fact that your engine was rebuilt by Fox which resulted in your oil in the exhaust ports issue certainly points to any number of causes resulting from the rebuild. An incorrectly set valve clearance can cause the guides to fail. Also, a excessively large or small valve guide clearance can cause the guides to fail.
They didn’t build the motor just ported and put new parts in the heads, sorry for the confusion. I will definitely have the new builder look over the heads and probably replace the guides and seals just in case.

MG0h3

Established Member
Did you seat the rings after rebuild?

A lot of people think you need to put around no load but that’s wrong. The engine should see load right away.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Did you seat the rings after rebuild?

A lot of people think you need to put around no load but that’s wrong. The engine should see load right away.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Probably not. Didn’t drive it much cause of oil pressure issues.

cj428mach

Established Member
I had a head rebuilt by L&M and immediately it leaked a ton of oil into the manifold and into the cylinder. I could shut the car and pull a spark plug and it would be clean, let the car sit a few hours and pull the plug and it would have oil on it.

L&M installed viton seals and I replaced them with felpro seals which fit much tighter than the viton I removed from the head and the new vitons I had from modular head shop. I installed the felpro and no more oil issues. Very frustrating to have to do them in the car thankfully it was only 1 head on the pass side.

When I had livernois build my new heads I insisted felpro seals over the viton. No issues.

Users who are viewing this thread