What would cause a Vortech impeller to break like this???

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
The rubber elbow connecting my CAI to the supercharger popped off, but is it possible the elbow hitting the blades is what made them break???? Trying to figure how the impeller got destroyed???

vortech1_zpsgizen8c1.jpg

vortech2_zpswflykwe8.jpg

mustang19932014

Established Member
Maybe too much play on the impeller shaft. When I sent mine in for a rebuild they (Vortech) said there were signs of the impeller hitting the blower housing.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
why make multiple postings?

my guess is play in the input shaft caused the impeller to touch the housing and it shattered

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe too much play on the impeller shaft. When I sent mine in for a rebuild they (Vortech) said there were signs of the impeller hitting the blower housing.

Any idea how often this happens??? This blower only has 13,000 miles on it. Does it need to be sent in yearly???

2001sleeper

Established Member
were you over spinning it?
hard to believe that you got play in the shaft only after 13000 miles. Bearings are the wear items and those fail prematurely due to excessive heat from over spinning or lack of oil.

Looks like something went through it.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
That's far more than play in the shaft , the inlet is also destroyed, as stated looks like it ingested something.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
were you over spinning it?
hard to believe that you got play in the shaft only after 13000 miles. Bearings are the wear items and those fail prematurely due to excessive heat from over spinning or lack of oil.

Looks like something went through it.

It's on a stock 99 cobra engine (not forged...yet) so it wasn't over spun. Someone else pointed out that it's spinning at least 30,000 rpm and just the rubber elbow hitting the impeller would snap one off and have a domino effect.

Last edited:

2001sleeper

Established Member
yes, it does not take much to damage the impeller.
They are designed to move/compress air. That is it.

Even water droplets or sand particulates will erode/destroy an impeller.

Last edited:

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
yes, it does not take much to damage the impeller.
They are designed to move/compress air. That is it.

Even water droplets or sand particulates will erode/destroy an impeller.

Time to make an impeller out of diamond.... :beer:

Three21

Established Member
I'm no expert but I would think input shaft play would wear the sides of each of the vanes where it would contact the inlet tube. Definitely looks like it ingested quite a few miles of unfiltered air and/or something larger. Time for a rebuild.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
That blower ate something....small child perhaps....

hahaha could have been....

I'm no expert but I would think input shaft play would wear the sides of each of the vanes where it would contact the inlet tube. Definitely looks like it ingested quite a few miles of unfiltered air and/or something larger. Time for a rebuild.

it's getting rebuilt and I'm pulling the engine and going to forge it.

Stanger00

Established Member
Hard to believe that happened after a tube gets blown off. Looks as though some long term damage to the inlet and impeller. I rolled my v2 for over 30k miles and had no damage at all.

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
You said the cai to the blower came off? If the power pipe came off on the Inlet side of the blower it probably ate the hose clamp causing the damaged impeller

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to believe that happened after a tube gets blown off. Looks as though some long term damage to the inlet and impeller. I rolled my v2 for over 30k miles and had no damage at all.

You said the cai to the blower came off? If the power pipe came off on the Inlet side of the blower it probably ate the hose clamp causing the damaged impeller

I would have thought the same thing, but it's in perfect shape.... you can see the shredded rubber from the elbow alt the throttle body and look a the top plug (came out of cyl 5) something closed the gap...

elbow_zpsqgpsjujb.jpg

accufab_zps1eiqqnre.jpg

plugs_zpsl4zoif86.jpg

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
It looks like the end of that elbow caught it,the tolerance from impeller to blower is so tight the slightest little piece of rubber like that could easily damage it

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's probably a combination of picking up pieces. I had a similar issue with my T trim. The elbow slipped off and the impeller chewed it up pretty good. My impeller didn't get damaged however. The only reason I caught it is because I got in the habit of popping the hood after I parked it every time.

Something had to have gotten in there and bounced around pretty good given the damage to the volute as well. Of course it could have been something like a piece of the impeller broke off due to a bad casting and proceeded to take everything with it causing more pieces to bounce around.

Users who are viewing this thread