What was the retail price for a '03-'04 Cobra New?

BIG LUV

Established Member
I just wondered b/c it seems like mocst people are reaching pretty high when they are reselling their Cobra's. I am trying to make an educated decision on how much I should spend when I buy one and whether or not to buy one that is modded or not. :shrug:

I absolutely am in love with Terminator's and will be getting one soon. Black or Sonic Blue. :D

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
MSRP on my 03 10th Anniversary was 36,400. I got 5500 off on a promotion but had negative equity in my 02 GT. Purchase price finalized at 34,600.

I'm not sure what exactly you call reaching, but even with 22600 on my 03 NADA private party/retail is still around 27500.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
"Reaching" is circumstantial. I paid 31K new and private party resale on mine w/ 2K miles is 34800.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There will always be those who will pay above market prices. However, the market on these cars right now is still a bit soft. '03s in good shape are still selling in the $23-$26K range (coupes) and '04s in the $26k-$29k range. I guess no matter what you ask, the condition of the car and timing are important factors. Sometimes price is secondary. Especially if someone wants THAT car. Case in point. I had a gorgeous '94 Z-28 that was heavily modified by Callaway Cars. Back in 2001 a guy in Florida heard about it and asked if I would sell it. I told him I would have to get $29,500. for it. I would not take anything less. He quickly said YES and two weeks later flew up with a check. A year and a half later he tried to sell it and couldn't even get $9,000. for it. In this case I got a lot more than the car was probably worth but the buyer wanted it (no, HAD to have it) at the price I was asking. There was probably no other person on the planet who would have paid that much for it. So I've learned that the going market price on a car isn't always what the car will fetch, or what you can pay to get one. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

BIG LUV

Established Member
Iwasn't trying to be rude, but normally a car looses 5k to 10k when you drive it off the lot. I lnow the Cobra is a highly desireable auto, but pay ing 31k for a car that cost 34k-36k is absurd especially considering that it a car that usually gets abused. Still gonna buy one, but I am pretty sure wholesale is in the low 20k range. :rollseyes

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It really depends on the car. Certain options will increase the base whole sale and retail of a car. Options like convertable or coupe, what wheels did it have, 10th anniversary or not.

I've had my car on the market for a couple months now so I know what it books for. On my particular vehicle for my market demographic whole sale is $24,400. I wouldn't call myself a motivated seller, but I will not sell my car on the open market for whole sale. You could save yourself some trouble and trade the car in if all you want is whole sale.

But then again maybe that's the reason I haven't sold mine. Like I said I wouldn't call myself motivated, there is a price that I am not willing to take. I'm not out to screw anybody if they really want the car, but I don't want to let myself be screwed either. If that makes any sense.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Black2004Cobra said:
"Reaching" is circumstantial. I paid 31K new and private party resale on mine w/ 2K miles is 34800.
34800, I and most paid less than that new. Resale value and what you would actually get are very different things.

SVT04

Established Member
Regardless of what anyone says if I were to sell my car now it would likely be for more than I paid for it .I love my 04 Oxford white Cobra and treat it well and look after it ...a few mods to make it faster of course but I don't abuse it. The market will be different in different places but as far as I'm concerned my car will increase in value and did not go down when I left the lot. In the future anyone who wants my snake will have to pay....but that will be OK cause it's not for sale !

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
2003 DSG 'vert w/chrome wheels MSRP = $39,530
Purchased off the dealer showroom 6/2004 for $31k + $5k in mods since. Good luck in your search. It'll be worth it.

jimwood

Established Member
CobraBob said:
There will always be those who will pay above market prices. However, the market on these cars right now is still a bit soft. '03s in good shape are still selling in the $23-$26K range (coupes) and '04s in the $26k-$29k range.
Its all relative. If you told this to the average person in California, they would laugh at you. On the East coast it maybe true, I don't know, and wouldn't claim to. However, you can get 23-26 as trade in price, if you negotiate. Hell, I got 32k TRADE IN on a vert...

Bottomline, the market dictates the price, fair or unfair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread