What was Ford thinking??

HONBOY1

Established Member
I just saw the new mustang gt in person today. I never really cared for the new body style, but tried to keep an open mind until I seen it up close and personal. Well, all I can say is, "what the hell was ford thinking?" The rear of the car is not only plain, but just down right ugly. The front grill looked gay as hell with those huge fog lights that were almost the same size as the headlights. As I looked inside, the interior was just too cheap for words to describe. All I have to say is that they made a new thunderbird clone. I will bet money that ford's mustang sales are not going to be nowhere near successful as the previous years. If I get rid of my precious 2003 cobra, I am surely not going to get the new stang. Unless svt or saleen can make alot of changes to the exterior and interior, I'm getting the new vette. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but whoever thinks the new mustang looks nice is a big retard!!!!!! Sorry, but Ford really pissed me off on this one.:cuss:

Great8

Pulley-less in Motown
Established Member
Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I think the interior is a much needed improvement, nothing looks worse than the current 'outdated' interior that's been in existence for 11 model years. There are some nice things about the exterior and some not-so-nice things. I think the car will sell well in the first few model years, but retro can get old quick. Ford needs to stay on top of exterior improvements, minor changes can make large differences. Only time will tell.

CobraXtreme

Banned
idk, stock it may look like shit, but it does have great potential for modding... Like the Nissan Skyline, or Toyota Supra (not so much) even though they are both imports, the Nissan Skyline looks like a P.O.S stock, something i would never own, but put on a good bodykit / modding and jesus christ i would do anything for one.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by HONBOY1
I will bet money that ford's mustang sales are not going to be nowhere near successful as the previous years. I'm getting the new vette. but whoever thinks the new mustang looks nice is a big retard!!!!!!

If it wasn't illegal, I'd take you up on that bet.

The C6 Corvette is nice and only twice as much as a '05 S197. Why not the Viper? It's only three times as much. I'd prefer the GT; it's only 6 times as much. Why get rid of your precious '03? How can you have only one car? Everyone I know uses their Vette as a second (or third) car.

I guess I am a retard. I like the look but more important to me is is what's under the skin. The front and rear suspension (coilovers, 3-link w/ panhard bar), the lower roll center, the 300HP of the GT, longer wheelbase, and the the firmer structure are a few things that excite me. According to my dealer the cost is $24K+tax. I'll have one in my driveway.

UCBeau

yea but ford never killed off their performance car ;)

and for the record, i think the 05's look like ass. makes me love the look of my cobra more and more.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
I agree and disagree. The 05 has great potential but I think Ford should have brushed up on some of the styling features. The foglights are dumb, the ass end is ass ugly, and the wheels are tiny. If they carried more over from the prototype (horizontal taillights, cleaner front end...etc) Ford would have been golden. I havn't seen one in person yet but I've just got word they are in my area so I'll have to see how they look in real life.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by dorky LS1 chick
the worst part is...now that the new body style came out - the value of the old ones have decreased..

see?? Even FORD makes ghey ass decisions too :p

Isn't this the same with EVERY manufacturer? That was a very immature and biased statement. When new models come out, earlier model's values will almost always drop a little. All I can say is at least Ford didn't drop their muscle car for something as worthless as the new GTO.

I personally love the body style of the new Stangs. I haven't seen one in person yet, but I think they are just awesome. They could use a couple improvements (the same can be said for any car), but that's what the aftermarket is for. I love what they've done with the new suspension (while keeping the live axle) and the interior. I think my Cobra looks meaner on the exterior than the new Mustang, but there is definitely a lot of potential in the new car. Even a simple hood scoop would make a world of difference. If Ford builds an '07 Cobra with more power, even if it looks just marginally better than a current '05 GT, I will definitely be in line to get one. :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
1st I don't think those are fog lights, but driving lights... aka, they light up the road more for you, in serious driving at night.. and the GT I do like the looks of, wonder what the Cobra version will look like?

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Ive owned quite a few Mustangs, and its so obvious with the new car that not one single stamping, componet, or even piece of hardware is inferior to the SN-95. This car screams out how much thought went into every single part. Its dumbfounding how long the old platform ran, and I loved all my gt's at the time I had them. I almost feel a little anger now about what I had to work with in hindsight. It takes a little while to appreciate the 05, there are so many bad comprimises we delt with on the last car it takes time to nurse off the old platform. I am surrounded by Fords every day, but I sold my last mustang over 8 months ago so I am used to not having it anymore, and now don't miss it one bit. I saw it the other day, for some reason I almost feel cheated thinking about how much I spent on that damn thing for nothing really gained.

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
At least it's got 300 hp. Should have had that much for years when the camero and firebird was kicking it's arse. Haven't seen one up close yet so I'll hold my opinion untill I do

HONBOY1

Established Member
We'll, now that I have seen the '05's it makes me glad I didn't wait to buy one. I plan on keeping my '03 cobra until it breaks. If ford doesn't come out with something better by then, I think it's time for a vette. No offense, but this retro crap to me is just wrong. I am curious to know what the new saleen might look like. I've always love the saleens. I'm sure they will make drastic changes to the design. Does anyone know when saleen supposed to come out with their new stang??

2000 MGT

uummm for your information Ford can't keep up with owner demand....they can't even stay on dealers lots they're going so quickly.

AAI ia backlogged till like thanksgiving I believe

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I just had a black 05 convertible gt in my driveway with a tan top and tan interior. It is one of the sexiest stangs i have ever seen....they are going to sell as many as they can make!!!

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
When the '99 Mustangs came out, I hated them. It took me a year before I loved them. I don't really like the new look, but I bet they will grow on me, especially if I hear one with full exhaust with different wheels.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by HONBOY1
I just saw the new mustang gt in person today. I never really cared for the new body style, but tried to keep an open mind until I seen it up close and personal. Well, all I can say is, "what the hell was ford thinking?" The rear of the car is not only plain, but just down right ugly. The front grill looked gay as hell with those huge fog lights that were almost the same size as the headlights. As I looked inside, the interior was just too cheap for words to describe. All I have to say is that they made a new thunderbird clone. I will bet money that ford's mustang sales are not going to be nowhere near successful as the previous years. If I get rid of my precious 2003 cobra, I am surely not going to get the new stang. Unless svt or saleen can make alot of changes to the exterior and interior, I'm getting the new vette. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but whoever thinks the new mustang looks nice is a big retard!!!!!! Sorry, but Ford really pissed me off on this one.:cuss:

:lol: :lol: :beer:

I've got another thread showing a more forensic approach to the fashion faux pas that Ford did on the styling. I'm with you. I'll put hard earned cash down that Ford is going to sink on this one. But I'm sure the folks around here will disappear once collection time comes. :lol1:

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I havent seen one in person yet... But i think they look good... I woudl have gave them some type of cowl hood, i hate the flat look. They were made to look like the old 67-68 fastbacks, exterior and interior wise... 300hp from a factory GT is nothing to complain about. I will be picking one up for my daily driver in the next year or so

Users who are viewing this thread