what type of boost for a 5.0

Which type of forced induction would you run on a 5.0?

• Twin Turbo

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Single Turbo

Votes: 52 44.4%
  • Roots Blower

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Centrifigul(sp?)

Votes: 32 27.4%

• Total voters

BPA

Established Member
ya come on.. lol KBs' make boost off idle and are great for the street. Vortech's are a great reliable blower and make great power #'s maybe not as good as a similar setup with a turbo but they look a lot nicer under the hood.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
Single. No one really makes a good twin kit for foxes now since Cartech went under anyways. Unless you want to represent the cool factor of saying you have two turbos, one will do just as good.

alotahp92gt

Established Member
03infrasvtf said:
im now pretty sure im gonna end up getting a coast-high 347 with AFR 185's prolly around 8 or 8.5compression...not sure on the cam yet...bbk ssi intake is the one i want and prolly either a hellion turbo and ill modify the cross over or a vecco turbo...im gonna also have a built aod...not sure on how much boost so that will have to be figured but im wanting to shoot for around 600hp...im running 4.10's now so that may have to be dropped back to a 3.73...let me know anymore suggestions the help ive gotten so far has been great

Just a thought, I think you may want to go with a 331 instead of the 347, they last longer and are better suited to daily driving. I.E. they last longer than that 347. just resurch it and ask around, I am sure many more will agree with what i am saying.

longrodLX

Established Member
that is true but not by much. i had the same choice a couple years ago and went with the 347 but if i still had my LX and were to do it all over again i would do a turbo 306. no reason to add extra stress to the motor for the torque your already going to get from the turbo setup. just my .02

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
I'll let you know as soon as im done with my current motor build.

Although I'm obviously a big advocate of the KB setup. The KB Blowzilla/Flowzilla on the Stock block w/heads alone made 473 rwhp, The 347 KB setup was in the 600 bracket but it blew up before we got a proper tune and dyno.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
if you are going to go the turbo route you need to rethink your gears. Turbo's love engine load, maybe 308's or 327's?

Ideally the 3.27 or 3.55 is a more turbo friendly street gear.

MJR_TRBL

Established Member
random-strike said:
single turbo, less piping than twins, easier to run a nice cooler. ext

I would run a big turbo you on the street it should not kick in right away and should help stop you from spinning in first gear (maybe). Those 5.0 are hard to launch on the street when they have 550 or more hp (even with MT ET streets).

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
It is a waste lowering the compression much below 8.5. All that will do is make the motor less responsive. You can still have a very high boost engine with mediocre compression. It's all in timing and fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread