What tuner to buy?

Cory

Established Member
I don't have the car yet, but I know i'm getting an 03/04 cobra just a matter of time now. So i'm going to go ahead and start buying parts. First thing i'm buying is a tuner.

I had orignally planned on getting the Sniper tuner kit, than I read some magazine articles about people using the diablo hand held and having good results.

I wanted something that will do it all, and not have limits to simple bolt ons. So I can tune for any future mods I might do.

The car will have full bolt on's, pully and such. Possibly in the future Cams, and a TS. I saw a mag article somewhere did full intake, whipple, bored the block, worked the heads, put some decent cams in, full exhaust, fully upgraded fuel system and tuned it all with a diablo?

cobracide

Established Member
Ideally look for a tuner that is good in your area and use what he programs. Ignoring this, I'd look into the xcal3 with the preloaded ford tunes to start you off.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
SCT X3 and I also recommend you might wait and get the handheld from you tuner with the files he has written.

Cory

Established Member
Tuners in my area = 0. haha there is not a single one within a couple hours of here. Steigemeier is most likely where I would go to have any major work done that I won't want to do myself.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Tuners in my area = 0. haha there is not a single one within a couple hours of here. Steigemeier is most likely where I would go to have any major work done that I won't want to do myself.

Then do mail order from a tuner who knows these cars.There is a couple vendors on here that are very good,Amazon and VMP Tuning.I used VMP and was/am very satisfied.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
Then do mail order from a tuner who knows these cars.There is a couple vendors on here that are very good,Amazon and VMP Tuning.I used VMP and was/am very satisfied.

+1 those are good mail order tuners. also consider RWTD. they are great to work with.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
do some research..chances are there is a tuner around you and you just don't know about them.

I wouldn't buy anything related to the tune just yet until you konw for sure the direction you are going in the car

there's tons of other preventative mods you can start to purchase now.

good luck and post up once you have purchased the car

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member

does steigemeier do tunes? i think he does

cobracide

Established Member
Just go with the X3 with the preloaded tunes then. That will keep you going until you need a custom tune with a pulley change.

stangliter04

Established Member
I would wait untill you buy the car... The owner before you might have a tuner already and might throw it in when you buy it. I am picking up a 04 next week that has a diablo with it but I will be getting rid of it because all the good tuners in my area tune with SCT.

Users who are viewing this thread