What trans to buy TKO 600 or T56 viper spec?

dtonesfan

Established Member
My 99 cobra needs a transmission to handle some power. now what would be a better choice the TKO 600 or a T56 viper spec im looking at getting a solid trans to handle 600ft pounds of torque with ease. i want to put in one trans and have some soild long term reliability. If i go with the t-56 viper what other components are needed for the swap? I plan on supercharging the car with a solid axle swap.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
What is your current setup? The TKO series transmissions are good for the older Fox cars, but they don't like shifting above 6k rpms with our cars. The T56 is a strong trans that will handle some serious power. If you're looking to stay with a 5 speed, give Promotion powertrain a call for a built T45.

NukeGuard

Established Member
I've heard that the TKO's have remedied their problem of high rpm shifting. I can't speak from experience, just what I've heard, so take that for what it's worth.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
I've heard that the TKO's have remedied their problem of high rpm shifting. I can't speak from experience, just what I've heard, so take that for what it's worth.

I have too. Standard Gear and Transmission here in fort worth swears by them. The break in period is important. the TKO's are better built than any T-45 or tr-3650 will ever be. hardened gears, syncros etc...I would go TKO-600. been looking in this alot recently as well.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
do you plan on mainly drag racing, street driving, autocross, etc.. that is an important factor in recommending a transmission.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i do love my viper geared t56.. that .5 6th gear is great w/ my 4.30s.... I'm thinking 4.56s soon!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
With the blower, you can overcome the high gears in the T-56 and they will actually give you a more usable gear. For the T-56, you'll need a new clutch, crossover or mod the location of your stock one, shifter, and a new driveshaft. Plus a pigtail for the reverse lockout solenoid if you want to use it. The TKO is awesome, but I would find someone who is shifting it above 6k first rather than what someone heard on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread