What tools for plenum porting?

n0xlf

Established Member
I can't find anyone in my area that will port my Billetflow plenum (just gasket matching it to the Apten ported Eaton) - There really isn't a lot of material that needs to be removed...

I saw that some people on here used a dremel, but none of the bits I have or could find seem to have enough bite to do a nice job, plus they clog rather quickly with the aluminum...

Any suggestions for exactly what I would need to accomplish this nicely? I have access to a die grinder and some other tools that may help, but don't know exactly what bits/attachments I need...

YGETV8

Established Member
There are plenty of carbide burr tips out there. Get one with the extra "teeth" that is recommended for aluminum. I use a cone shaped tip, which seems fairly versatile. Keep dipping it in oil as you go, be it WD40, motor oil, whatever... it'll help a lot. If you don't have much material to remove, just get a couple of flapper wheels in 60 and 120 grit. The 60 grit cuts pretty good, then semi-polish with the 120. HTH.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Be careful with the porting. We're seeing a wide range of results from all the ported Eatons. Some good and some not so good. At this point it is hard to say if the wide discrepancies are from tune variances or from porting design variances. Best of luck with yours. Hope you get some nice gains.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by YGETV8
There are plenty of carbide burr tips out there. Get one with the extra "teeth" that is recommended for aluminum. I use a cone shaped tip, which seems fairly versatile. Keep dipping it in oil as you go, be it WD40, motor oil, whatever... it'll help a lot. If you don't have much material to remove, just get a couple of flapper wheels in 60 and 120 grit. The 60 grit cuts pretty good, then semi-polish with the 120. HTH.

TRUE TRUE TRUE!

also, I like a "Flame point burr"

n0xlf

Established Member
CobraBob - Not porting my Eaton myself - Already done, and I'm not that brave...

I like the idea of the flapper wheels..Since I don't have a lot of material to take off, that may be the way to go...

If I really mess it up, Doug will send me another one, right Doug?
:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread