What to look for when buying a used Vortech kit?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Sorry fellas this is a noob question and I don't have that much time to research it as there is a great deal on a vortech set up locally. The kit is said to be complete including longer belt, aftercooler, inlet piping, bracket etc...

I've never dealt with forced induction so I'm not sure if it's even a great idea but its too good of a deal!

Unfortunately the seller doesn't state what vortech system it is, so I'm unaware if it is self lubricated or if I'd have to tap the oil pan.

What should I look for when going to look at it?
*I know I should check that the impeller moves freely
*no chips or metal bits
*little to no shaft play and no strange noises

What parts should I look for??

Thanks in advance!

*I might end up posting this in the sn95 cobras section as well to get as many responses as possible; also this is for a 97 cobra.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
This may most likely be a 96-97 Vortech HO Kit for the cobra. If you visit the Vortech website and go to the supercharger kit section and find the 96-98 Cobra kit, there is an online .pdf manual that has a parts listing for the kit. You can use that list to check that the kit is complete.

eddyroxx

Established Member
take a flashlight with you, open up the plug where the oil feed or drain goes, flash the light in there and turn the gear, you will see if any gears or teeth are chipped, etc.
also stick your pinky in there and in the drain hose to see the oil has no metal flakes in it

Chances50

Established Member
Spin it by hand make sure it spins smooth and quiet most that have bad bearings will have a rough growl and if it real bad it'll sound like rocks in a barrel. Get the serial # and call Vortech they can tell you everything you need to know about as far as trim and gear set.

If its a v1/v2 S, Sc as what pulley combo was ran (help determine if it's been over spun)

Good luck, they are great blowers and the V2's are near silent which I think is awesome.

JW03

Established Member
Spin it by hand make sure it spins smooth and quiet most that have bad bearings will have a rough growl and if it real bad it'll sound like rocks in a barrel. Get the serial # and call Vortech they can tell you everything you need to know about as far as trim and gear set.

If its a v1/v2 S, Sc as what pulley combo was ran (help determine if it's been over spun)

Good luck, they are great blowers and the V2's are near silent which I think is awesome.

x2. I had a V2SQ on my 2003 GT and people very rarely could tell that it was supercharged because it was so quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread