What to Do With Old Tires?

Snoopy49

Established Member
I have a couple of sets of low mileage GY Eagle F1 SC G:2 tires collecting dust in my garage and was wondering how people are getting rid of used tires. This isn't a for sale ad, just an inquiry.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Local dump or maybe your town will take em. I'm thinking about getting a full set of the GY's that come with the car to keep nice for years down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
Four of these are the originals from my car and I was thinking the same as you, but with a 7 year shelf life it may be hard to find someone in the future that will be willing to mount them and take on the liability.

Bad Company

Established Member
Four of these are the originals from my car and I was thinking the same as you, but with a 7 year shelf life it may be hard to find someone in the future that will be willing to mount them and take on the liability.
Snoopy

All tires have a date code on them. The first part of the code is the number of the week it was built in, the second part is the year. Most reputable tire shops will not install a tire after it is 5 years old no matter what the condition of the tire case or tread depth. Once you are looking at a high performance tire with a speed rating in excess of 168 MPH I don't think anybody would install them to be used for anything other then a museum piece for display purposes when considering the liability factor of one failing at speed

here is how you can read the date code on a tire. It is something I learned a long time ago dealing with truck tires when deciding if the casing were worthy of retreading or not.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret... date&ef_id=VenMEQAAAEDWetZU:20160524053139:s

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I took two to Discount Tire and they took them. I went to the back where the employees worked and asked if I could drop them off.

Rocketir

Established Member
I took two to Discount Tire and they took them. I went to the back where the employees worked and asked if I could drop them off.

When I bought tires from them, they gave me a credit for the tires already on my car because they had some tread remaining. Not sure what they do with them.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I have a couple of sets of low mileage GY Eagle F1 SC G:2 tires collecting dust in my garage and was wondering how people are getting rid of used tires. This isn't a for sale ad, just an inquiry.

Are they mounted? I kept my stock good years and wheels when I went to the TF 702's even with offers to buy. I'm glad I did. When I had that tpms blowout the old set saved me from over a month of my car sitting on jack stands because I couldn't get a new front mpss tire. imo you might consider letting them collect dust until that 6 year mark and then tossing them. With a little help they might also save you from putting your car on the back of a tow truck just because of a flat.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I didn't know about shelf life of tires. Good to know. Doubtful the factory GY's will be available way down the road. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjandascog1

Established Member
Since mine is a daily driver I kept one of each size just in case tear up one currently on the car. That way at least I can drive it while I wait for another MPSS.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Are they mounted? I kept my stock good years and wheels when I went to the TF 702's even with offers to buy. I'm glad I did. When I had that tpms blowout the old set saved me from over a month of my car sitting on jack stands because I couldn't get a new front mpss tire. imo you might consider letting them collect dust until that 6 year mark and then tossing them. With a little help they might also save you from putting your car on the back of a tow truck just because of a flat.

They're not mounted.

Since mine is a daily driver I kept one of each size just in case tear up one currently on the car. That way at least I can drive it while I wait for another MPSS.

Since all four tires are different (directional, right & left), I would have to keep a complete set.

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
I swapped out the rears on mine with less than 3500 miles. I thought I had them sold until we priced the shipping. I will gladly put them on someone for cheap. No shipping. I figure they will get old before I will need them and someone with less HP could live with them if the size fits.

jjandascog1

Established Member
Since all four tires are different (directional, right & left), I would have to keep a complete set.

You can keep all four, but the tire rotating in the wrong direction will not bother anything for getting back and fourth to work for a week or so. I would not take it to the track that way, and if it is on the front it will pull some and will be noisy.....

Bad Company

Established Member
That is interesting to see.

All commercial truck tires are considered junk at 5 years of age. No tire retreader will give you a case trade in if the date is 5 years old or older. But depending on where they've been in that 5 years or whether they're virgin casings and have been retreaded already they can have anywhere from 90,000 miles to 500,000 miles on them at that age. In the line of work I did I went through tires at a very high rate due to the constant stopping/starting and turning. Steer axle tires would only last me 90,000, drives and trailer tires roughly 125,000. I always bought new virgin tires and traded casings back in, due to the nature of my driving style and the weight I loaded...........or lets say overloaded. LOL I worked tires extremely hard by doing this and I didn't want to deal with casing failures in the future with retreading them and installing them back on my own truck

I'm surprised that the tire industry is giving car tires a much longer shelf life given all the crap Firestone and Ford went through with tread separation a number of years ago. Those failures are what are known as zipper blow outs in commercial truck tires and are the most common failure with a truck tire. Again they are caused by excessive loads on the tire or low air pressures for the load being carried by the tire.

Most any tire shop will take old tires for a fee. Most local landfills also have a tire disposal program, but again they will charge you to drop them off.

brianz426

Established Member
Snoopy,
Near my work there is a bunch of used tire guys operating out of old gas stations and repair shops. Here in Maryland these places tend to be in or near poorer parts of the city. Probably not many guys going to these places for GT500 tires but I'll bet they would be glad to take them off your hands if you just want to unload them.

10"Terror

Established Member
We adhere to the 6yr rule. After 6yrs, the tire is junked.....even if it is sitting new on the shelf. Will also not work on/repair any tire over 6 yrs old.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Snoopy,

They are good track tires. I would figure out a fair price and see if a track dog would take them Track tires are a consumable and somebody would want them. I've never shipped tires, but have bought them. Packaging was simple. Just slap a label on them and off they go.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread