what to do for the next year or two of my life

verbal

Established Member
So many employees feel that their boss knows exactly what they want. Have you had conversations with your boss? Ask how you are doing? Share your goals with your boss?

As someone who has direct reports its my job to help give employees the tools to succeed, not to just give them raises because they have been there for a certain time period. If I have employees that don't share their goals with me or don't reach out to me to make sure they are on track then its safe to assume they don't see this as a career and are just there to take home a paycheck.

I would set up 1:1 meetings with your boss and track your progress in His/Her eyes and ask for feedback on how you can succeed at a quicker pace rather than asking for more money. If it were me I would ask you back why do you deserve more money? Do you have solid quantifiable goals that you reached?

Not trying to be hard on you, just maybe see it from the opposite side of the fence.

This is good advice.

I would not be afraid to ask for a raise. OP - you need to be ready to present to your boss why you deserve the raise however.

I am a salaried employee for a large corporation so yearly increases are built into the HR process. When I worked as a contractor it wasn't. After my first year I realized a raise was not a part of the process and that contractors' salaries stay the same year over year. I talked to my manager and got an increase pretty easily. The rest of the people I worked with did not ask as far as I knew and they stayed at the same pay rate.

tvspower

Established Member
OP .. nxhappy had the best advice.. keep family/girlfriend out of all business you plan on setting up.. Also .. if your boss has not given you a good work evaluation, why do you think you deserve a raise? Your opinion of your own work is very self centered.. Others may not agree.. But go ahead and ask, then decide after the answer. GL

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
My attitude is starting to reflect the feeling that im in another situation of being taken advantage of. There is no shortage of work right now. It might be time to jump ship.

IIRC there was some sort of shenanigans with your ex-wife where you basically were taken for a fool...if not disregard. But if so, you need to nut up and take your life into your hands! I'm in the same boat as you. **** work, it's time for me to do me. That is my advice.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
IIRC there was some sort of shenanigans with your ex-wife where you basically were taken for a fool...if not disregard. But if so, you need to nut up and take your life into your hands! I'm in the same boat as you. **** work, it's time for me to do me. That is my advice.

WTF?:shrug:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Right before I went 7 years without a raise at my last job, I took another job for better pay and my boss only asked what it would take to keep me after I had found something else. I got my raise that day, then I was stuck where I was because the home building market went bust. I couldn't just ask for a raise because there wasn't any where else to go work. I also feel that If I have to ask for a raise, then I am not doing my job right. I have asked how I am doing, and he always says good.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it's your bosses job to worry about what it's going to take to keep you in his employ, or know what exactly you are feeling/thinking. He certainly isn't thinking about your pay rate as often as you.

It sounds like a small company that probably doesn't have a standard system to review and give raises or promotions. If that's the case, it's up to you to make the case to your boss that you want and deserve a raise. Just making the case and bringing it up shows initiative.

As a manager I cannot think of a situation where a employee asking for a raise would piss me off. Worst case I would say no but give them a list of goals to complete to get one. But I also would be confused if a employee quit on me for money without asking for a raise first.

I wouldn't let a good employee go 7 years without a raise regardless, but if you went that long without asking some of the blame is on you. Alot of managers out there are going to assume since you haven't asked for one, you must be happy.

nxhappy

Established Member
Don't make the mistake of thinking it's your bosses job to worry about what it's going to take to keep you in his employ, or know what exactly you are feeling/thinking. He certainly isn't thinking about your pay rate as often as you.

It sounds like a small company that probably doesn't have a standard system to review and give raises or promotions. If that's the case, it's up to you to make the case to your boss that you want and deserve a raise. Just making the case and bringing it up shows initiative.

As a manager I cannot think of a situation where a employee asking for a raise would piss me off. Worst case I would say no but give them a list of goals to complete to get one. But I also would be confused if a employee quit on me for money without asking for a raise first.

I wouldn't let a good employee go 7 years without a raise regardless, but if you went that long without asking some of the blame is on you. Alot of managers out there are going to assume since you haven't asked for one, you must be happy.

that about sums it up !

tistan

Established Member

There was some shenanigans on her part. She defrauded $100k from the army. I just finalized everything in august. I cleaned her out.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
There was some shenanigans on her part. She defrauded $100k from the army. I just finalized everything in august. I cleaned her out.

Glad to hear you didn't get held liable for her bullshit then. You never updated that thread so I was wondering if you got ****ed in the process.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
First of all get the hell out of this crime ridden city and get over to Bluffton. New home construction is booming right now.

MFE

Established Member
I've never heard such a junior-high chick attitude as "if I have to ask for a raise it must be a dead-end company". Maybe the boss is raking it in thinking "LOL how long can I milk this guy?" Sack up and ask for a raise if you think you deserve one. A wise man once said "no askee, no gettee".

Users who are viewing this thread