what to do for the next year or two of my life

tistan

Established Member
I just quit a job 2.5 years ago because I didn't get a raise for 7 years. I summed that up to the economy. I was planning on going in business for myself, but I got a job offer that passed on an opportunity that I couldn't pass up as long as I stayed for 2 years. I have been eligible for my residential contractors license for a few years. Working for the new boss, I am now eligible for my light commercial license. I've been there 2 years and a couple months, and I haven't had a raise yet. I'm not sure if my boss is making good money or not because, even though I price the jobs, he doesn't ever go over the final billing with me. I don't really give a shit what he makes, I just want to know if I am pricing the jobs right. I really do not like where I live and am ready to pack up and move. My girlfriend for the last 1.5 years is finishing her masters in interior design in May. She thinks I should ask for a raise. If I am doing a good job, I feel it is unreasonable for me to have to ask for a raise. I feel If I have to ask for a raise, then it is a dead end job and I should get out now. The goal is, when she graduates, look for a new location to live and go into business together designing and building homes and remodels. I am hitting the point that I don't want to go to work anymore. I don't really need the money, and I could find cash jobs to do for the next 6 month to a year. Am I being stubborn, or should I ask for a raise, when I know I am leaving in a year. I am also a very good carpenter with all of my own equipment. I have options, but I am not really sure what to do. I am just not sure I can get up for the next year and give a shit about what happens to someone's company. I'm not sure what to do, maybe just looking for feedback.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
nope, you're right. if they show you that they dont love you (raise) leave them.

btw, can you install solar panels in SC?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If you can easily walk away and find work, I would go ahead and create your resignation letter and then ask for a raise. If you hear back and they say no, turn in your resignation letter and finish whatever you have left.

Do not burn any bridges because from my experience doing carpentry, that company could contract you for a job down the line and you can charge your own rate.

Edit: Something to think about is WHY should they give you a raise? If you can answer that solidly, then get'r done!!!

Last edited:

sniper85

Established Member
You are right. My old boss, machining mentor and good friend once told me. "Never be afraid to ask for a raise. Do not ever let someone else determine how much you are worth. If you do good work people will pay the money." Ask, the worst they can say is no. Your boss might think that you don't want or need a raise and he can use the money else where. And if they tell you no then just make it clear that you need to move on to bigger and better things. Once the day approaches and it sinks in that you are leaving I'm sure he will throw something your way.

Edit: Maybe make a portfolio with work goals, accomplishments and daily activities.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
I just quit a job 2.5 years ago because I didn't get a raise for 7 years. I summed that up to the economy. I was planning on going in business for myself, but I got a job offer that passed on an opportunity that I couldn't pass up as long as I stayed for 2 years. I have been eligible for my residential contractors license for a few years. Working for the new boss, I am now eligible for my light commercial license. I've been there 2 years and a couple months, and I haven't had a raise yet. I'm not sure if my boss is making good money or not because, even though I price the jobs, he doesn't ever go over the final billing with me. I don't really give a shit what he makes, I just want to know if I am pricing the jobs right. I really do not like where I live and am ready to pack up and move. My girlfriend for the last 1.5 years is finishing her masters in interior design in May. She thinks I should ask for a raise. If I am doing a good job, I feel it is unreaso
nable for me to have to ask for a raise. I feel If I have to ask for a raise, then it is a dead end job and I should get out now. The goal is, when she graduates, look for a new location to live and go into business together designing and building homes and remodels. I am hitting the point that I don't want to go to work anymore. I don't really need the money, and I could find cash jobs to do for the next 6 month to a year. Am I being stubborn, or should I ask for a raise, when I know I am leaving in a year. I am also a very good carpenter with all of my own equipment. I have options, but I am not really sure what to do. I am just not sure I can get up for the next year and give a shit about what happens to someone's company. I'm not sure what to do, maybe just looking for feedback.

Maybe with the attitude that you are developing, you should leave before you get fired. If the job is not working for you, leave while you can still do so on realitively good terms.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Why would you not ask for one? The absolute worst that can happen is he says no and it pisses him off. So what. Your going to leave in a year or two right?

If your as good an employee as you think he will not want to lose talent. I am speaking from experience saying a few dollars an hour is a low cost to keeping a good skilled labor employee happy and present. It's too hard to find trade skills any more.

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
So many employees feel that their boss knows exactly what they want. Have you had conversations with your boss? Ask how you are doing? Share your goals with your boss?

As someone who has direct reports its my job to help give employees the tools to succeed, not to just give them raises because they have been there for a certain time period. If I have employees that don't share their goals with me or don't reach out to me to make sure they are on track then its safe to assume they don't see this as a career and are just there to take home a paycheck.

I would set up 1:1 meetings with your boss and track your progress in His/Her eyes and ask for feedback on how you can succeed at a quicker pace rather than asking for more money. If it were me I would ask you back why do you deserve more money? Do you have solid quantifiable goals that you reached?

Not trying to be hard on you, just maybe see it from the opposite side of the fence.

tistan

Established Member
nope, you're right. if they show you that they dont love you (raise) leave them.

btw, can you install solar panels in SC?

I have not had the chance to install solar panels yet. Our electric is to cheap to justify the expense.

tistan

Established Member
If you can easily walk away and find work, I would go ahead and create your resignation letter and then ask for a raise. If you hear back and they say no, turn in your resignation letter and finish whatever you have left.

Do not burn any bridges because from my experience doing carpentry, that company could contract you for a job down the line and you can charge your own rate.

Edit: Something to think about is WHY should they give you a raise? If you can answer that solidly, then get'r done!!!

The simple answer to why do I deserve a raise is, I took the job at a low pay rate to get the 2 years of commercial supervising experience so I can get my commercial contractors license. I took the job for about $10k a year less than the median rate. I am also making less than a residential supervisor should be making. I have my own projects that I oversee. I get the jobs done on time with good quality.

tistan

Established Member
Why would you not ask for one? The absolute worst that can happen is he says no and it pisses him off. So what. Your going to leave in a year or two right?

If your as good an employee as you think he will not want to lose talent. I am speaking from experience saying a few dollars an hour is a low cost to keeping a good skilled labor employee happy and present. It's too hard to find trade skills any more.

Right before I went 7 years without a raise at my last job, I took another job for better pay and my boss only asked what it would take to keep me after I had found something else. I got my raise that day, then I was stuck where I was because the home building market went bust. I couldn't just ask for a raise because there wasn't any where else to go work. I also feel that If I have to ask for a raise, then I am not doing my job right. I have asked how I am doing, and he always says good.

wreckit

Established Member
I would ask. Your girlfriend is completely correct.
If you do not ask, they may think you are doing fine.
Do not get complacent.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
work can be like a marriage or other long term relationship. Don't leave unless you are financially prepared and have something else lined up and make sure to communicate your needs/wants. What did you do to earn a raise? Did you gain more responsibility or additional skills at any time? As others have suggested you need to meet with your supervisor and see what he/she can do.

Steve1578

Established Member
I would talk to your boss. When I first got promoted I spoke to my boss every single day for 2 months until they pushed my new rate through, and I requested them to retro it as well. The squeaky wheel gets greased. I work in a corporate environment so I get yearly raises like clockwork, but if I didn't I would definitely be speaking with them yearly unless I knew my performance didn't warrant it.

nxhappy

Established Member
let me give you some advise. NEVER, ever ever, go into business with your wife. It's hard enough to be in the family business. Your wife/girlfriend should not get involved.

Secondly ... talk to your boss immediately about getting a raise. But be prepared to back up your good work ethics. If they say no .....then you can start looking for a new job. And as always....never leave until your new job is 100% locked in ...

colin450

Established Member
You know you're leaving in a year, you don't need money, you're getting to the point where you "don't want to go into work anymore", and you want a raise? Sounds like your attitude is reflecting in your work.

tistan

Established Member
You know you're leaving in a year, you don't need money, you're getting to the point where you "don't want to go into work anymore", and you want a raise? Sounds like your attitude is reflecting in your work.

My attitude is starting to reflect the feeling that im in another situation of being taken advantage of. There is no shortage of work right now. It might be time to jump ship.

Users who are viewing this thread