What to buy? 2014 Mustang GT or C6 Corvette?

Landmonster

Established Member
Hey guys.

I currently own a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0, M6. It is in great condition, with only 24,000 miles.

The time has come to either upgrade the performance on my Mustang, or consider selling it and going to buy something like a C6 Vette.

I'm reasonably happy with the Mustang's acceleration, but it could certainly use more. I've also become increasingly unhappy with the handling and braking characteristics of the Mustang... the car seems unstable in stock form over curvy back-roads. I've also grown to really dislike the choppy shifter.

While I am sure these things can be fixed, I am not sure how the improvements would stack up against a stock Corvette.

For clarification: I do want an overall high-performance car, not just a straight line dragster. Additionally, this car would be a daily driver for at least several more years, so it would not be a garage queen.

So... I'm trying to weigh the monetary, logical, and emotional factors of choosing which car to go with! Can anyone weigh in?

Acceleration:
From what I understand, the Mustang is going to need full exhaust, intake, and a tune, just to keep pace with the acceleration of a stock C6 Vette. (The exhaust is going to run around ~$3,500 installed for me)

Handling and Braking:
From there, the Mustang would still need better wheels and tires ($2,000), brakes ($??), suspension ($??), lowering springs ($??), and a shift kit ($??) just to keep pace in other areas with a stock C6 Vette. Even with all these upgrades, I'm still skeptical if the Mustang would out-handle a basic Vette. The stock handling of a Mustang leaves alot to be desired, IMO.

Long-Term Value:
So, I'm debating whether spending all this money on upgrading a regular Mustang GT makes any logical sense? For $6,000+ worth of upgrades, would it not make sense to use that money instead to upgrade to a Vette with a better platform? I'm doubting if I could get any of that money spend on mods back on resale.

I'm also questioning the long-term value of owning each car. I may end up keeping either car for a long time. In 10, 15, or 20 years from now.... would either of these cars be considered desirable to own? Would they likely become "classic" models by then? .... or would they just be old models with lots of lost value and depreciation?

Monetary Factors:
Going from a 2014 Mustang GT to a C6 Vette could be a roughly even swap in value, or it may cost me another $5,000-8,000 on top of the Mustang sale. I'm also questioning the depreciation going forward of a 2014 Mustang, vs., say, a 2008 Corvette. The overall financial picture between these 2 cars will also play a role in my decision.

--Which car would likely lose more value in the next 5 years?
--Will maintenance and repairs be a large increase on a C6 Vette?
--Are there any "hidden" fees or costs on a Vette that many people are not aware of?
--(Insurance will be roughly a wash. )

Landmonster

Established Member
As a clear bonus question:

How much money would it take in mods to equal the performance of a stock C6?

DaBigBone

Established Member
I wouldn't do it. Going to be going from a 3 year old car to a 5+ year old car that will cost more. Parts cost more and insurance costs more.

Spend that 5-8k difference you'd need on a blower and some suspension parts and you'll be way ahead of a stock c6.

KushBandit

Established Member
LS2 or LS3 C6? I've driven a lot of Corvettes, and the only C6 I'd get rid of my car for is a C6Z.

Keep in mind, parts are twice as expensive for the 'Vette, thanks to the "corvette tax".

The LS3 cars are pretty nice though. The Grand Sport has a dry sump oil system, if you're into hitting the track.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The Mustang will never match the vette in handling, mod for mod. Live rear axles plain suck. You can reduce the rear hop on bumpy curves, but you will never fully eliminate it.

Honestly, from your post, you sound like you have made your decision.

Post pics of the vette when you get it! ;)

top_notch

Established Member
The Vette will cost more, mods will cost more, and it will depreciate more as well. (Maybe not percentage wise, but dollar amount wise).
The Vette will also perform better, especially if you are not worried strictly about 1/4 mile performance. LS is a great platform, but not perfect either.
One would be better off purely financially in buying a Vette and doing small upgrades as opposed to buying a Coyote and doing larger and costlier upgrades. Financially, it would make more sense to drive a Honda accord 4 banger, but where's the fun in that? So, pay to play and decide which you like better.

I was looking one time for a C5Z06 or a Coyote but ended up with the Mustang. I've owned previous Fox bodies and like them very much. I have a Vette too, but it's from the 60's when cars were cars and men were men. They don't make them like that anymore. Either way, can't go wrong.

Last edited:

TrickLittlePony

Established Member
You may also want to consider the ergonomics of the car. Are you and potential passengers happy climbing "down" into a vette? Is the seating position comfortable? Does the vette have enough interior/storage room for a daily?

Personally I would pay off the Mustang and mod it until content :)

noldevin

Established Member
LS2 or LS3 C6? I've driven a lot of Corvettes, and the only C6 I'd get rid of my car for is a C6Z.

Keep in mind, parts are twice as expensive for the 'Vette, thanks to the "corvette tax".

The LS3 cars are pretty nice though. The Grand Sport has a dry sump oil system, if you're into hitting the track.

I'm sort of with Kush on this one. I enjoy hitting up HPDE, autocross, and track days myself, so I'm all about the handling. If i were to dump the mustang for a vette, it would be a c6 grand sport or Z06.
Probably the z06, because that 7.0L is just pure sex.

That being said, if your goal is just to match or barely beat a stock, regular non z06 or grand sport c6, it wouldn't be that difficult to do with the mustang and would probably be cheaper just to mod your current car. These coyotes can handle quite well with not a ton of upgrades. The mustang also makes a better daily driver with back seats, more cargo room, a nicer interior, and a softer ride.

basspro302

Established Member
What's your price range for a vette? have you considered a base 2015-17 mustang then upgrade the suspension from there. I'm not a fan of Thebes's track PAC if your going to upgrade the suspension why pay more when you are going to throw all the track pac upgrades out.

Landmonster

Established Member
That being said, if your goal is just to match or barely beat a stock, regular non z06 or grand sport c6, it wouldn't be that difficult to do with the mustang and would probably be cheaper just to mod your current car. These coyotes can handle quite well with not a ton of upgrades. The mustang also makes a better daily driver with back seats, more cargo room, a nicer interior, and a softer ride.

This is an important figure to know, actually.

How much money would it take to equal or beat a Vette, in handling and acceleration?

What specific parts would be required?

I was estimating $6,000-8,000 in my initial idea, but that figure may be too high.

Last edited:

Landmonster

Established Member
What's your price range for a vette? have you considered a base 2015-17 mustang then upgrade the suspension from there. I'm not a fan of Thebes's track PAC if your going to upgrade the suspension why pay more when you are going to throw all the track pac upgrades out.

Well, that's the thing. I didn't want to spend a lot more money for an older car. Regardless of how it makes sense to car guys, I don't think I could convince my wife to go for that.

The '14 Mustang would likely bring $21-22k on sale or trade-in.
The decent C6 Vettes that I've seen go from $25-27k. So, it would cost me $4,000-6,000 + TT&L to trade.

So my logic is.... if the Mustang could be made equal in performance to the Vette for less than $5,000, it may not be worth the hassle to swap. I could just add bolt-on parts to the Mustang, and keep my car which is a known factor.

The other factors are long-term depreciation, maximum performance potential, "cool factor", etc.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I would say get an 08+ Vette with the LS3 if it WASN'T a daily driver. You are sitting very low and have limited space in the vette compared to the Mustang.

ORX-pipe/intake/good tune should put you pretty close to an LS3 corvette. I have lowering spring, ford racing struts and wider wheels on my mustang, and limits are way too high for the street.

KushBandit

Established Member
You can definitely match the handling and acceleration of a C6 for $5K.

Figure roughly $1,500 for suspension, $1,000 for tires, $500 for tuning, and $2000 for go-fast parts. This is all just ball park of course. That's what I have into my car, and it handles and accelerates better than a stock C6.

Terminator for a daily isn't the wisest choice. The interior is pretty dated, as are the creature comforts for a DD.

LowBoltBoy

Established Member
Landmonster, the obvious answer for you is a 2012-2013 Boss 302. I am fortunate to have both a 2013 Boss and a 2005 Corvette LS2 with Magnetic Selective Ride and Z51 sways a Breathless CAI and Flowmaster American Thunder catback system. With all the arguments on the virtues of IRS and solid diff out there, I can say after driving them back to back on the same roads, their performance is amazingly similar on the street, on my favorite backroad challenge run. Power to weight very close with the 444hp Boss and the 400hp (factory underrated) C6. The Corvette does have a Tremec in it, though the Boss does ok with the MT-82 with an MGW upgrade. In all honesty the stock C6 shifter is lacking as well and mine has an MGW in it. I dearly love both cars and feel like I have 2 examples of the finest America has to offer. The Corvette with MSR I would get in and drive coast to coast. The Boss is what I grab when I want to go out and make some noise! If I had to keep just one, I would have to say though that I would keep the Boss .

eekkaann

Established Member
For me with 2kids its a no brainer. Love my mustang. The only vette I would trade for would be a Z06...... The c6 is just to plain in my opinion

hand-filer

Established Member
neither... Focus RS...

df9572598c0bb2a8d0c20353c1053871.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread