What tires for 18x10 ???

GF Scot

Established Member
I have just bought AFS 03 Cobra chrome rims from AFS. They should look good on my Torch Red vert. They are sitting in the garage right now. I bought 18 x 9 for the front and 18 x 10.5 for the rear. I will be going to my local tirerack tomorrow to fit 285/35 Nitto 555 Extremes at the front and 295/35 Goodyear BFG KDs at the rear. I had a good Nitto left from a previous car and so wanted to limit cost. I decided that 295 is wide enough and I did not want to bother with the IRS bolt mod. I wanted a flush look at the fender anyway. 305/30/18 is available in a Pirelli P- Zero at $337 from tirerack and would fit a 10" rim. The KDs were $345 each. I will post pics when they are on :)

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
Randy,
thanks for the info, just when I thought I knew what I might do:)
But, I guess I am working off the simple principal that more rubber on the ground should give more traction, I am not trying doubt what you are saying, just curious as to why the 18s would be worse for traction. Do you believe this to be case regardless of tire choice or just the F1s?

jc21

Established Member
I am running the Saleen 18 x10 and 18 x 9 rims with Pirelli P-Zero 295/35/18 and 265/35/18 tires. The car is lowered with MM coil over kits front and rear with no tire rub. Traction is better now than it was with the stock set up. Also I am running 2.80, CAI , X-w.cats, cat back, and chip so traction can be a problem if you get on it hard but it is better and feels more responsive than the 17" stock set up.

davidmax

Established Member
On my rearI went with Kinesis 3 piece modular forged K28's its a stunning wheel usually used on 911's and M-3' and M5's.I orderd a 18x11 for the rear and hope to find some KD's in 295/305-35-18 whichever I have in stock.I considered Pilot Sports but for daily use I want sticky I corner hard and I will use evey Sq." of each tire.Fronts are 18x10 with 275/35/18's and with all my other suspension mods including Brembo Gran Turismo's 14" 4 piston frt.13" 4 piston rears.
Great handling is important but great binders are equally important,entering a corner at hi speed requirs instant fade free confidance that for me only Brembo will deliver.You must pay attention to all parts of a car because no mtter how fast you enter the turn when the poop hits the fan you need excellent brakes and driving to haull it all down,just as you need gobs of Tqe. to throttle steer out of a tight situation.BE EZ,Dave S.

randy

Established Member
The 295's were Goodyear GS-A's. Each tire has it's own characteristics. The 295's have a 7mm shorter sidewall than the 315's or the 275 40's. This extra sidewall helps absorb some torque while the car tries to get moving. Another factor is compound. Obviously, the softer the compound, the faster the tire will wear. P-zeros have a 240 wear rating, which is a moderate compound and designed to last longer than our F1's. By comparison, BFG dr's have a wear rating of 0 and Nittos 100. This is why most guys who want the best traction at the strip use BFG's and others who need "some" wet traction ability and better wear characteristics use Nittos. In California, where I barely ever see rain, I have been running dr's for the last 5 months(4 and a half with BFG's and now Nitto 315's). I had an apportunity to drive the well worn BFG's in the rain and it was a scary experience. I could feel the rear lift at 50 mph. The Dunlop SP 8000's were a good all around tire, but definately lack the dry grip of a DR. The questions you need to answer are these. Do you want the best dry traction tire you can get or a good all around tire that will last? How do you drive your car? Do you take it to the track?... There are guys who post great times with F1's, but not here in SOCAL!!! I liked the bfg's until I drove them in the rain. I have another car, so this is not much of an issue, but keep that in mind. I would not, however spend 400 bucks on a 295. I would go straight to 315, regardless of brand. I hope this helps.

raiders03

Banned
I don't think I could run a 15.0 with the 18's......First was a joke, second pretty much smoke too. They were on 18x9's. My 11.xs were all on 275 bfg dr's......I would never....ever....EVER take the 18's to the track..There would be absolutely no point and, IMO, be dangerous as well. Ever get sideways at 60 plus?? It is NO fun....I could bust the 295's in third.....I actually tried to race a Talon on a deserted road and was behind by 5 car lengths trying to get traction......did not catch up until I hit 4th....That is the time when I almost lost the car in 3rd(I shifted hard into 3rd, after short shifting 1 and 2)....That combo came off the next day.....You would be very careful with the new combo and drive accordingly until you learn the new limit. I didn't try other tires, but the differnece between the stock 17's and the wider 295's(Goodyear) was dramatic......BTW, according to SVT, 18 inch wheels were considered, but the car "handled" better with 17's.

Randy, I find that interesting because I went from a 17X9 to 18X9 and the traction is much better. The tires are softer and a lower profile so that could be why. The rim hieght would have nothing to do with excesive spinning of the tires. Over all the rim and tire combo is still the exact same hieght and width. Not saying you are lying but the law of physics goes against your claims.

randy

Established Member
Originally posted by raiders03

Randy, I find that interesting because I went from a 17X9 to 18X9 and the traction is much better. The tires are softer and a lower profile so that could be why. The rim hieght would have nothing to do with excesive spinning of the tires. Over all the rim and tire combo is still the exact same hieght and width. Not saying you are lying but the law of physics goes against your claims.
Actually, the laws of physics ARE in my favor. The only reason you would get more traction would be a softer compound and wider contact patch. The lower aspect ratio of a tire reduces it's ability to absorb initial torque and makes the tires more prone to spin. This is why every true slick is made in 15 inches with a fat sidewall. The fastest DR car in the world runs a 15 as well. Without some shock absorbing properties, the cars would not hook with that amount of power. There are many factors involved, but I still maintain my claims are true. Reading back, I see I forgot to mention the aspect ratio being less with the 18's. There is 7mm less sidewall with a 295 35 than with a 315 35 or a 275 40...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread