What supercharger to get me to 750-800rwhp? Current Engine Mods Inside.

GM2Ford

Established Member
You should easily get there with a 2.9 Crusher. You should hit it with 25 PSI but its hard to say. If not just add a little more lol. My motor's 10.5 CR, cams, ported heads, 1 7/8 long tubes etc. so a little different. I spun the 2.9 to 30 PSI on that combo.

The IAC adapter is available from Cobra Engineering. He proto typed with my help / car and now sells them. Scroll to the bottom of this page

http://www.cobraengineering.net/IAC adapters.html

That's pics of my car on his page down there with before and after.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll keep you guys posted on what my car puts down. It'll be on the dyno sometime in March I'm assuming.

What pulley's should I run?

10.5CR & 30#'s sounds INSANE! LOL. What did you put down with that?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What pulley's should I run?

Start with a stock lower and a 3.25 upper. With a stock lower and 3.0 upper I made 27.5 PSI on a mostly stock setup, heads, cams, intake, exhaust manifolds, no cats and very free flowing exhaust.
On my new built motor that only made 24 PSI due to how much more air the new motor was moving. So I went with a 4 lb lower and the 3.0 upper and that pushed me to 30 PSI.

Malcolm whats the benefit of doing this?

I assume you mean the IAC motor bracket that changes the angle of it? Whipples design puts the IAC motor directly into your a/c line. Every time the engine torques or moves it rubs and smashes it and eventually destroys it. This adapter turns it for clearance.

Also be aware that while yes technically the 2.9 clears the stock hood it does lightly rub. You need to either notch your hood, which is what I did, or shim your k-member down for clearance. If you do a search you'll find pics of my hood notched, fiberglassed in and repainted. No one can even tell, looks factory.

lucheski

Established Member
Made 790/673 @18psi with spark blowout letting out early with KB 2.8 mammoth...car at shop now getting a Boost-a-Spark and re-tune. This blower has got alot left in it, spinning way under it's peak efficiency...

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ second that blower. I had one and had awesome luck with it, made 750 on a stock longblock on e85 and still had room to spin it. That said I just switched to a 3.4 crusher. Mainly for more room to grow and couldn't pass up the deal I got. But with your setup, and if you're going to Lidio just do a 2.9 crusher. Lid loves the whipples and is great with these cars, you wont be dissapointed with him or a 2.9.

modFTW

Established Member
3.4L Crusher big dog... its only $100 more than the 2.9 Crusher. You don't have the compression to make 770 on a 2.9L with stock heads and cams. At max effort to make the power you want the 2.9L will create so much heat it will be hard to keep it cool and not completely heat soaked.
2 more obvious reasons..
1- The 3.4L makes more power at less boost which in turn is less heat!
2- The most important reason is room to grow into more power for $100 more.

modFTW

Established Member
I will be starting a build thread very soon called "Monster in the making"
2004 Silver Cobra
324 ci Boss Block
Billet 4 bolt main caps
Winberg Billet 3.800" Crank
MMR 3.700" Piston
Manley Billet I Beam rods
11:1 CR
E-85 DUHH!!
2005 FRPP "DC" 9 thread heads
REV Inconel Exhaust Valves
REV Stainless Intake Valves
CNC Ported/Polished by Pro Street Engines San Antonio, TX
MMR 3000 1/2" Head studs
MMR Custom Spec'd SC Cams
3.4L Whipple Crusher

Projected #'s on FTW Purple E85 are 900-1000 on max boost (27-28#'s) alone

65fastback289

Established Member
a 2.9l crusher on a stock motor can easily make over 800. there are quite a few setups that have surpassed 800 on ''kill'' too.
with increased compression, that 800 can be done easily especially with e85.

you should be able to do the same (plus more) with the 3.4 as well. it depends on what your plans are and if you plan to push it further in the future.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
Don't let the numbers go to your head either it all depends on the dyno your going to be on... some 2.9L will make over 800 and some won't depending on dyno

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
Awesome. Thanks! I'll keep you guys posted on what my car puts down. It'll be on the dyno sometime in March I'm assuming.

Yea, please post up what you made! I'm doing a 2.8 KB with Behemoth intake and will be running a 3" upper only. All the same mods as you, except I'll have a stock engine. I'll be getting tuned in late March or early April.

KB's boost chart shows about 24.5lbs with a 3" upper, so I hope I'm not much higher than that yet without any ARP studs.

GM2Ford

Established Member
3.4L Crusher big dog... its only $100 more than the 2.9 Crusher. You don't have the compression to make 770 on a 2.9L with stock heads and cams. At max effort to make the power you want the 2.9L will create so much heat it will be hard to keep it cool and not completely heat soaked.
2 more obvious reasons..
1- The 3.4L makes more power at less boost which in turn is less heat!
2- The most important reason is room to grow into more power for $100 more.

Lidio recommends the 2.9L so that is honestly why I went that route. Plus everyone says that it's all around a good blower. As for future plans, I probably wouldn't need anything more than 900rwhp max! & that like a very big exaggeration to that word, max. I wouldn't want anything more than that.

Now, as to why he or other people recommend the 2.9L? Idk. But I do know that people bring up some points about the 3.4L regarding either getting a new hood or lowering engine with K spacers & adjusting pinion angle. Those being the reasons why people do not want to deal with the 3.4L.

I have a Team Z K-member.
  • So I'm not worried about the hassle of swapping K-members or adding spacers just to adjust the height of the engine.
I have Team Z's SRA strip series adjustable rear upper control arms & adjustable rear lower control arms.
  • So I'm not worried about adjusting pinion angle.
I have a 2 inch cowl hood.
  • So I'm not worred about the hood not fitting
Which that said, I went with the 2.9L because that's what everyone was saying was Whipple's best blower. I honestly didn't even check the price different on Lethal's Website. I just went straight for the 2.9L.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
2004 Silver Cobra
324 ci Boss Block
Billet 4 bolt main caps
MMR 3.700" Piston
E-85 DUHH!!
MMR 3000 1/2" Head studs
3.4L Whipple Crusher

With that kind of build you better be at 1100+to the tires..

01yellercobra

Established Member
2004 Silver Cobra
324 ci Boss Block
Billet 4 bolt main caps
MMR 3.700" Piston
E-85 DUHH!!
MMR 3000 1/2" Head studs
3.4L Whipple Crusher

I'm really curious about this. I have a Boss stroker sitting in the garage waiting to be rebuilt. I was thinking that with a Whipple 2.9. But I was thinking pump gas with E85 occasionally.

nxhappy

Established Member
whipple hands down makes some of the best blowers

you could run a little less boost, throw on a 75 shot....cools down the blower and the IATs

GodStang

Established Member
Kenne Bell make power (not like the other brands typically), but make a bit more heat from what I've seen. Hence why the 2.2s scream like a banshee, but make less power than a 2.3 Whipple or a 2.3 TVS. The higher compression will help you make power. Who's doing the tuning? This is a more complex setup so I would make sure you get a true dyno tune vs email tuning. That way its done at one time, turn key, ready to go. No datalogging / etc. Just crank her up and she's ready to go once the tuning is completed.

A 2.2L is an Autorotor not a Kenne Bell rotors. The Kenne Bell is much better design hence why they stopped making them.

Do you have any hard proof that the Kenne Bell makes more heat? I have had many KBs and have not found that the case. I have continually over the years made more HP/tq than equal Whipples.

Lidio does great tuning from what I've heard, no 1st person experience though.

Even with all of the cooling available the KB will still run hot, its due to the case / blower design, and nothing can be done about that.

And no, Kenne Bell will make LESS power. But its not a detrimental difference. Perhaps 3-5%

Again it sounds like you are making up numbers with no proof. 3-5% is 20-30rwhp that you are claiming. I have only been around these cars for 13 years and I have equal KBs make more than equal Whipples and I have seen them make less.

Whipples are great blowers and Kenne Bells are great blowers. He will be able to make those numbers he wants with a 2.8LC (I have done it), 2.9, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.6L, 4.0L.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
whipple hands down makes some of the best blowers

you could run a little less boost, throw on a 75 shot....cools down the blower and the IATs

Unless you have a way of spraying post intercooler it will not cool the IAT2s down at all. I did a ton of testing and spraying with 100 shot. No change in IAT2. I was spraying into the blower inlet behind the throttle body.

Zemedici

Established Member
A 2.2L is an Autorotor not a Kenne Bell rotors. The Kenne Bell is much better design hence why they stopped making them.

Do you have any hard proof that the Kenne Bell makes more heat? I have had many KBs and have not found that the case. I have continually over the years made more HP/tq than equal Whipples.

Again it sounds like you are making up numbers with no proof. 3-5% is 20-30rwhp that you are claiming. I have only been around these cars for 13 years and I have equal KBs make more than equal Whipples and I have seen them make less.

Whipples are great blowers and Kenne Bells are great blowers. He will be able to make those numbers he wants with a 2.8LC (I have done it), 2.9, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.6L, 4.0L.

I'll post up dyno sheets tomorrow. I can't recall a single time where a KB made the same power as a similar whipple / TVS with less heat....

I.e. My car makes 619whp on a pulleyed up whipple 2.3 and longtubes

Buddy's car made 550-560whp on a pulleyed up 2.2 KB with Longtubes...this is common knowledge that smaller KB units don't make the power other blowers do. Best part is both cars were tuned by the same guy on the same dyno....

And the bigger blowers will be beyond overkill for his intended power level, let's stay on track. No need for a 3.2/3.4/3.6/4.0 to make 800whp lololol

I'm sure OP can make 800whp with a KB it'll just take a bit more work ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread