What sort of RPM can a centri boosted 99/01 style 4V take?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Thinking of dropping a stock bottom end 99/01 style 4V into my 2000 Steeda just as is to get it back on the road. Motor has 42k and runs fine. Looking at like 8-10 psi intercooled, maybe 425rwhp or so and would like to be able to spin it to 6500-6800 or is that wishful thinking on the stock rods? 93 octane pump gas with a real good tune obviously but I do have access to E85 if needed but its only 1 station 30 minutes away.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Well that's as simple as a set of Boundary gears if the rods will take more power than that. Currently on a stand with the front cover off so would not be an issue to do it now I guess.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
450rwhp is the general consensus. But some take more power, others....not so much. The question is how much of a chance do you want to take? When I had my stock 01 engine I spun it to 6800 with a D1. It had no problems getting there. Until three pistons broke. Really as long as you keep the impeller speed within limits the centri can spin as fast as the motor can do.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Im not looking to set the world on fire with this. I was going to do a full build but some budget stuff came up and then I happened upon a screaming good deal on this engine with 42k on it. Would like to have a 400-450rhwp street car with this and be able to pull to 6500-6800. I'll build another one on the side in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread