What size double din fits our cars nicely?

kreymis

Established Member
Is that a 6 or 7inch? Looking to fill out the space the best I can. Some of the boss radios they have look small.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I know you said double DIN, but I'm running a Kenwood single DIN in my Cobra with a mini spacer that double as a cubbyhole. Great place to keep my phone while driving.

Just something to consider....

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Is that a 6 or 7inch? Looking to fill out the space the best I can. Some of the boss radios they have look small.

the 7" screens fit perfectly in the opening. I think I have an alpine wx650 or something like that and it's a 7" screen

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
IMG_4309_Original.jpeg

I did a 10” Sony in mine. Still able to access all hvac controls.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Double Din is double din. The only real concern after that is depth which I have not found anything to not fit.

robvas

Established Member
I had the Sony, and the Pioneer.

The Sony had this little volume button that was the size of my pinky. And the Pioneer has small physical buttons. Very hard to use while driving or in a bumpy car like ours.

I end up controlling the volume from my phone, or the remote. Probably remote more now because in 2 weeks we can't use our phones even at a stoplight or we get a ticket.

Can't see shit on the screen with a convertible top down anyway. I need to replace the single-din stereo in my 2003 because it doesn't have Bluetooth. But I'll probably just stay single-din since you can get a decent one for $75

Anything in that pocket flies out when I punch it in 2nd gear anyway :D

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Double Din is double din. The only real concern after that is depth which I have not found anything to not fit.

the new ones with no CD player are freaking tiny

g500ILXW650-M.jpg

with that extra space they now have an external amp that attaches to the back to run speakers as well

cbehr

Established Member
How does sound quality compare to factory unit with just a head unit swap? Would like to replace my factory unit but am not interested in doing a full out speaker/amp upgrade.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
How does sound quality compare to factory unit with just a head unit swap? Would like to replace my factory unit but am not interested in doing a full out speaker/amp upgrade.

You would still be using 20 year old speakers with 20 year old technology and materials.

Even new Boss crap will be better.

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

you can probably make it sound a little better but there's only so much you can do with those speakers.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran the stock speakers for a bit with a Kenwood and they sounded ok. Granted I think they were pretty much blown. I ended up installing a set of Memphis Audio components in the doors with a crossover. I used the tweeter outputs as they go straight to the head unit. At least they do in my 04. They sound so much better than the stock set up. Eventually I'll get one of those small amps that go behind the dash.

robvas

Established Member
Aren't the Ohms wrong on the factory speakers (plus there are more than 4) and you can't just wire them up?

I plan on putting some $50 whatever brand name is on sale in the doors and rear and just running speaker wire to the aftermarket deck

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Not the best picture but here is mine for reference.
It is a Alpine INA-W900 double din 7” touchscreen

e4c3f9bf29b36aaa178c2d52bf851ad4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kreymis

Established Member
I appreciate all the responses. I’m definitely going to upgrade from stock soon. Mine is a vert so I’m sure I won’t be able to see the screen with the top down during the day

01yellercobra

Established Member
Aren't the Ohms wrong on the factory speakers (plus there are more than 4) and you can't just wire them up?

I plan on putting some $50 whatever brand name is on sale in the doors and rear and just running speaker wire to the aftermarket deck
The ohms are different in the stock speakers. Some aftermarket head units seem to have problems with it and others don't.

But then I'm not an audiophile by any means.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I appreciate all the responses. I’m definitely going to upgrade from stock soon. Mine is a vert so I’m sure I won’t be able to see the screen with the top down during the day

With a quality unit, it should not be a problem. I have never had issues with mine.

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

GoGreen04

Established Member
I did a ton of research on this last year when I did my all out build. Very happy with the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. Checked all the boxes of: sleek and functional interface, wireless CarPlay, app integration, and back up camera. It works with stock speakers but I will say the speakers need to be upgraded to sound clear. I plan to do that soon

Users who are viewing this thread