what size belt do I need

jmccown

Established Member
I'm still a noob to the Cobra scene. I got my car out a few days ago and drove it a bit and I noticed my SC wasn't as loud as it usually is. I figure my belt is slipping a bit. My boost gauge shows okay when I get into the gas pedal, but it doesn't seem right. My mods are listed below. I just need to know what size belt to get and where to get it from. Are these hard to install?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Welcome to the Terminator scene!

Go here on the Billetflow web site, scroll down to the list of belt sizes.
http://www.billetflow.com/IdlerBracket.htm

You'll need to figure out if you have the "old" or "new" style snub idler, it will affect the belt length. You could also look at your current belt and try to find the part number, then just purchase a new belt that's a half-inch shorter. That would be a good start if you think it's slipping. I buy the Goodyear Gatorback at Auto Zone, some other chains will carry the Gates Green Stripe (NAPA?).

The install is not bad: Make a sketch of the belt routing. Get a 1/2" drive socket wrench or breaker bar and put the head in the tensioner, put pressure downward until the belt is loose enough to pull off of the pulley. Then you can release pressure on the tensioner, remove the old belt, and reverse the procedure to install the new one. If that's not clear enough, try doing a search on "belt install" or a variant and you'll find a better explanation. Search is a powerful tool when you're learning about your new Cobra!

PS Since your car is pullied, I'd always recommend getting it on a dyno and verifying the air/fuel ratio so you know the tune is AOK.

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
DOH! never mind, went back and did a search after posting.

P.S. A Whipple with 3.5 and stock idlers uses a 76" belt, regardless of what their installation manual tells you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread