What say ye?

Who's responsibility is it to pay for your kids' extracurricular activities?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FJohnny

Established Member

02reaper

Established Member
When I was a kid and had to raise money for some type of fundraiser, we had to actually get out and work to raise the money. That consisted of car washing, chicken plates, Ect.. . I can't stand this type of fundraising you have here.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have seen some that ask for donations for the entire team, including parents/chaperones - full ride - transportation, food, etc. Otherwise they couldn't get parents to go. Seriously.

Should be a team wide effort for the team and should involve them actually doing something, not begging. But then the parents are "the kids are practicing and training and the parents are ferrying them to and from, blah, blah, blah..."

Who doesn't see parents that get their kids involved in something with little to no thought about the cost that can be involved. I particularly like the Moms with sleeve tattoo's, hair done up, nails, latest fashion but won't pony up a $100 to pay for something they allowed their kid to get into.

I paid for everything, they should too.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
A guy i fish with dad has several horses and a giant barn, inside its a show arena. He has 2 horses that a 7 figures each....and hand full of mid 6 figure horses...the are amazing...meanwhile i wont let my kids have run down 1k nag quarter horse lol...shit they they wont even tskr care of thier damn dog

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
A guy i fish with dad has several horses and a giant barn, inside its a show arena. He has 2 horses that a 7 figures each....and hand full of mid 6 figure horses...the are amazing...meanwhile i wont let my kids have run down 1k nag quarter horse lol...shit they they wont even tskr care of thier damn dog

if they're breeding them or otherwise making some money back on it that's one thing but ya, horses just to **** around with is crazy money... says the guy with probably 3-4k in vet bills on a dog this year

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
if they're breeding them or otherwise making some money back on it that's one thing but ya, horses just to **** around with is crazy money... says the guy with probably 3-4k in vet bills on a dog this year
He isnt makin money on them anymore...he could but he just loves spending his pile of cash on horse stuff...dude used to big into breeding and show horses, plus herding horses. He is getting old and just like em these days

Dude has **** you money so he doesnt care lol

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
He isnt makin money on them anymore...he could but he just loves spending his pile of cash on horse stuff...dude used to big into breeding and show horses, plus herding horses. He is getting old and just like em these days

Dude has **** you money so he doesnt care lol
Is he a car guy? I don't know many people with money. Maybe I can wax his cars.......

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Is he a car guy? I don't know many people with money. Maybe I can wax his cars.......
He the old man drives a 2023 TRX...like he hates it lol

Dude is 75yo...former Marine Sniper , owns a few beer distributors....super cool guy. Got blown up pretty good on his 2nd tour in vietnam...give no Fs...hardcore republican...i love him lol
His wife was my very first patient when i was a newly minted RN ironically his son and i now hunt andfish together often. We are same age, he went to school 10 miles from me and wr never met until last year

Our daughters have the same names and run track aginst eachother, boats same color...its odd lol

My wife has bigger tits though...and is taller lol

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m going the other route.

Athlete in question is going to be so good that OP wishes he supported them financially.

Once they enter college, they’ll be so good that OP wants to sponsor them via NIL, but gets rejected because parents remember how he denied them earlier.

oneof185

Established Member
Double answer: It's okay to ask for business to support your kiddo if you can't afford it.....but It IS your family's responsibility, period.

Never hurts to ask, I guess.

I have a daughter who played competitive soccer from U8-high school and it was expensive...I paid every $.

I then had a buddy (use that term loosely) that had a daughter that did so as well and a son that did baseball.
Well, he asks me to go to a poker tournament as a fund raiser for his son. When you bought chips, you mentioned which kid you were buying for. We then start playing and he busts out (happened to be put on the same table as him - mind you there were probably 10 tables of 10 going) and then he re-buys. I don't think much of it (they did not say at the beginning you could re-buy), but the winner did get a cash prize too so I get the desire to re-buy to try and win, I just wasn't going to do it. My initial understanding was that part of your buy-in for said kid would go into their pool of money to help with expenses. I found out after seeing multiple parents re-buy multiple times (no limit until like the final table) that all the money, minus the prize money of course went straight to the kid you were sponsoring and if their fund went over the amount they needed, the parents got that money. So these mfrs are buying chips over and over, which essentially was just putting money straight into their own account to use and any left over they got back. So there was really no reason not to re-buy and of course the overall winner was a parent. Talk about some straight up BS.

rborden

Established Member
edit: I misread the question. Screw 'em. A two-income family should be able to fund their kids' activities. Teachers are notoriously bad with money though.
How do you figure? Teachers made up one of the top 5 career fields of millionaires polled by Dave Ramsey.

As for OP' questions, parents should cover it but I'm ok with fundraiser events like selling candy bars, etc.

VegasMichael

Established Member
How do you figure? Teachers made up one of the top 5 career fields of millionaires polled by Dave Ramsey.

As for OP' questions, parents should cover it but I'm ok with fundraiser events like selling candy bars, etc.
Perhaps the teachers he polled were university professors at large institutions who are very well compensated. Most of the public school teachers I worked with were financially illiterate and many were barely scraping by--frequently because of their inability to budget as well being buried in school loan debt on a salary in the low 40s.

rborden

Established Member
Perhaps the teachers he polled were university professors at large institutions who are very well compensated. Most of the public school teachers I worked with were financially illiterate and many were barely scraping by--frequently because of their inability to budget as well being buried in school loan debt on a salary in the low 40s.
Nope. Many were regular K-12 teachers.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Nope. Many were regular K-12 teachers.

How many were in two income households where the teachers' salary is able to go entirely into savings/investments?? I mean if one marries well it's a different ball game.

Users who are viewing this thread