What Rim Size? Totally Confused. 17? 18?

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
I posted a pole previouslym, and received a lot of great feedback but not really sure what to run. I have a credit to get 4 rims and tires from a dealer. The rims will be AFS. I like the replica rims to match the stock look of the 2004 Cobra.

Here is what I want, wide wide wide in the back, why? Because. Now on to the next point. I would like it to really look aggressize and sharp. However, I want the 275 up front. So what should I do? What rims and tire combo for the street, daily driven, high horsepower?

I was thinking of getting the 17 x 9 and 17 x 10.5 ? If so, what size tires on the rear to really looking like the car really has some serious meet on it? Thanks to everyone that does answer this. And please post pics.

Bear in mind, I do NOT want to lower that car, and I dont want to spend a ludicrous amount on street tires, but yes I know they cost.

Last edited:

sweet10th

Established Member
I'd upgrade to 18's keeping the stock cobra wheel look.
Throw 275/35/18 on up front and get some nice 315/30/18 out back.
That set-up looks badass.
Or if you want to go that far you could try 335 , somebody on here has just done that i believe.
315's look bad enough though.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
AFS cromies 17X9 in the front 17x10.5 in the rear with 275 up front and 315s in the rear. It looks great! The rear tires look like steam rollers.

riplightning

Established Member
This isn't a great picture, but it is a Sumitomo 315/35/17 on replica 17x10.5 rims.
mini%2DBigback%20tires%20001.jpg

The sumi's aren't as wide as some 315's, but are def. wider than the 275s. Almost 12" wide.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
I found this picture, what do you all think of this stance but on an 04 Cobra? I know its a member here, but, he needs to know his car is REALLY sharp.

NiceRimsTires.jpg

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
18x275 frt & 18x295 rr on mine with factory style rims. Aggressive but not over done and no clearance or suspension probs.
Fred K.

BenD

Established Member
For FKing1

The size issue for the rear has been a troubling decision for me. I can't seem to get a definitive answer about safe rim width at the rear. Some say that a 10.5" rim, AFS or others, will hit the IRS bolt, especially on hard cornering. Even though I have the IRS bolt shaved, some say it will still hit.

I primarily Road race and that seems to create the problem. Can anyone provide a rim/tire combo that might work. Appreciate any feed back. Thanks.

Friendchicken

Don't 18" have a negative effect when road racing? 18's look good, but you have less side wall to flex in the corners.

newcastle

Originally posted by 98kobra
Don't 18" have a negative effect when road racing? 18's look good, but you have less side wall to flex in the corners.

less sidewall flex is a good thing in corners. less unsprung weight is a good thing always. if you want better looks go with 18s. if looks don't matter, go with the 17s. if you get a tire on the 17s with a smaller circumference, it's like using a lower gear.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Rev - like I mentioned to you before, I think you should go with 17's. Since your not going to lower the car, and since you have a solid axle, the 17's will look better and you will have a lot more sizes to choose from.

But it all depends on what type of racing you are going to do. Remember. . .the taller the rim, (18, 19, ect) the thinner the sidewall is going to be. It will get much harder to hook up on 18's. Trust me, I just got back from a race, my 335/30/18's are worthless. But I knew that from the beginning. I only got these tires for looks.

98kobra - 18's have a positive effect on road racing.

FKing1

Established Member
All I can say about bolt hitting 10.5 rears is my 295's have never hit or rubbed although have been on just about one month. I do push hard corners when the opportunity arises, like Freeway ramps. Sorry Officer too.
Fred K.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Rev
I found this picture, what do you all think of this stance but on an 04 Cobra? I know its a member here, but, he needs to know his car is REALLY sharp.

NiceRimsTires.jpg
What do I think about it? I WANT THAT STANCE ON MY CAR!!! Nice! Whose car is it?

Users who are viewing this thread