What oil pressure should I have?

SuperG

Established Member
It seems after my last oil change (and I have forgotten which filter I used) the oil pressure is high...the needle is at the "A" in "NORMAL". It's fairly steady at that point no matter what kind of driving...

It would also be interesting to know the psi value if anyone knows...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Teksid281

Banned
factory oil pressure gauge is a dummy, it reads anywhere on normal whether it be 6 psi or 60.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Your symptom is a bit strange. The oil pressure gauge is an ammeter that deflects based on how much current goes through the meter. The oil pressure sender is a pressure switch that is closed to ground above 6 PSI and open below 6 PSI. With no current flowing through the meter, it reads as low as it can go. In 97 and 98 cars, there is enough resistance in the meter itself that the needle goes to a high-normal reading when it has full battery voltage across it.

FYI, 96 and older cars have a regular analog oil pressure gauge in them, but Ford added a 20 ohm resistor to limit the current so the gauge will read no more than high-normal with battery voltage across it, too.

The only way I can think of that it can read higher than it normally did is if your battery voltage has gone up a volt or two (or more).

SuperG

Established Member
Wow 20-45 psi at 1500...that's one heck of a range.

So in a nutshell, it seems I am ok, but maybe not for sure...

Guess I need a real gauge...

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
mine also reads at the A in normal, and..... that is 75psi according to the diagnostic gauge that I used to test it once, and thats at idle, rev it and it pegged the gauge, high I know! but don't have any probs so screw it.

4.6 SNAKE

Established Member
mine also reads at the A in normal, and..... that is 75psi according to the diagnostic gauge that I used to test it once, and thats at idle, rev it and it pegged the gauge, high I know! but don't have any probs so screw it.

Must be something wrong in your oil pump pres.relief valve.:eek:

dpenny

Established Member

my oil pressure is usually around 25 at idle, then 75 when not at WOT, where it then pegs the gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread