What laptops do u guys have??

Needcobra

Established Member
IM looking for a laptop. I need to become more computer friendly. Just woundering what you guys have???? When you say i have a 25.6526 MB or whatever i don't kno what that means?!? Don't need one for work i would break it in 5sec at work and dont go to school. Just to play some games photos, internet and that pretty much it.

So just say Carter you should buy this one and that would help alot lol.

Thanks guys :beer: ,

Carter

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I curently have a HP NX9600.. but HP has some other very nice latptops for a great price. I do a lot of gaming, so I look for certain things. Circuit City has a really nice on for $799. I think it was a dv9600.. or something like that.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have two gateways and a toshiba. I just got my newest gateway about 3 weeks ago, and so far I"m thrilled with it. My wife has a dell for work, and she has had a couple of problems with it. However, I wouldn't let that deter you because if you talk to enough people you will find problems with every brand.

Personally I've always had very good luck with gateway products, so I've stuck with them.

Everything you said makes shopping easy save for one word...games. That single thing right there will probably do more to determine what kind of processing and gpu power you need. If you want to get serious with computer gaming, you'll be better off with a desktop because you will be upgrading your graphics card every year or so.

The best thing you could probably do is to take a look at the requirements of the games you are interested in playing and make sure that anything you get meets or exceeds those requirements.

Three things NOT to skimp on with a laptop:
1) The screen. This thing is there forever...make sure you get a nice one or you'll regret it later.
2) Graphics card. This is typically not upgradable either, so make sure you get one you want.
3) Media drive. Again, this is typically not upgradable, so get what you want the first time.

Other things that are also important, but less so because they can be upgraded. Ram(the more the better, although XP can only recognize 3 gigs, the new version of windows will handle alot more). My current laptop can handle 4 gigs, although I only have 1gig in it.
Harddrive is another thing you want to pay attention too, but this is probably the least important because you can get external USB harddrives and such.

I'd mention the cpu here, but that will probably be decided with the kind of games you want to play.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
btw, mine is a gateway NX570 or something to that effect. The area under the keypad is metal which I found to be a nice touch, the mouse buttons are nice and large, and the screen is bright.

TRBO VNM

I would recommend buying a dell. you can get one at a reasonable price and definitely pay for the extra 3 or 5 yr warranty. the warranty I have I could spill oil in the keyboard and they would fix or replace it. I have used it a couple of times already to get it fixed, so they stand behind it.

I would also recommend that anything you get you will/should be using with your car to hook the xcal up to and log.

the warranty is going to be a BIG thing. they came to me to fix the items. I didn't send it anywhere. my wife has been screwed over big time with her HP and circuit city. stay far, far away from those places.

BTW, we have nothing but dell at work and great luck. I have had 2 issues at work. one a hard drive crashed. we had the service/warranty that they would replace the part within 4hrs. let me say this, the day the hard drive crashed is the same day I had the computer back up and employee working in CAD and checking email and I went home on time. They stand behind their product, especially if you pay the extra for the coverage. other problem was a power outage we had at work fried the ram in a laptop. next day we had replacement ram.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I have a base model Dell laptop (B120), lol! Works great for just surfing the web and isn't too bad on multi-functioning. It's surely no good for games and video editing though! I work with computers too much to care about specs now at my older age. It has 1GB of RAM, internal wireless and a DVD burner. The bare essentials caught my eye for a $399 brand new price.... :lol1:

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Dell. That is all.

No really, +1 to Jason's consumer review. No you can get 2+ gig memory sticks if you are doing video editing and need to upload temporarily for editing them dump the original footage. We use them in our construction business and they are on jobsites everywhere standing up to dust and dings all day. Dell widescreen all the way.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Just got a Dell Inspiron E1505 with all the bells and whistles. It's pretty big but bought it to replace a desktop so the fact that it is portable is great. So far I love it....

Needcobra

Established Member
Thanks guys. When i might play games i just meet 1 or 2 games to have if im on a plane or whatever. I been flying planes for about 5 years or did fly and all my Flight Simulator game or on my desktop, because i kno how much space they take up.

Yes Jason i was think of that. Hooking up my SCT to it to log everything.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I have a Dell D620, an Acer Ferrari 3200, and a Micron. The Dell is the best of the three. DEFINITELY get a warranty for whatever you buy!!!

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a Toshiba .As a roadie I must say this laptop has been the best, I had an IBM, Dell and a Gateway before this one and NONE of them has been able to take the road like the Toshiba.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Evil Bender said:
I have a Toshiba .As a roadie I must say this laptop has been the best, I had an IBM, Dell and a Gateway before this one and NONE of them has been able to take the road like the Toshiba.

Roadie for who?

Ken

:beer: :beer:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I have a small Sony VIAO which I use for business on the road with a docking station and a 24" wide screen monitor for use at home. I just bought my wife a Gateway Tablet PC (like a laptop, but you can write on it). Most any of the brands mentioned are good.

Look for a wide screen, a large hard drive, large video memory and as much RAM as you can find. The RAM can always be upgraded later. Spend the time at stores looking and asking questions. Comp USA, Best Buy and Circuit City are good choices. You should be able to get one for less than $1,000. :beer:

Last edited:

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
We used to work the country cuicit. Garth Brooks ,Martina Mcbride.some R&R.Cheep Trick, Lalaploza a time or two. Now its mostly corprate shows .Walmart, Tyson.Some motivational shows . More money less work,fewer long nights and better hotels

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Evil Bender said:
We used to work the country cuicit. Garth Brooks ,Martina Mcbride.some R&R.Cheep Trick, Lalaploza a time or two. Now its mostly corprate shows .Walmart, Tyson.Some motivational shows . More money less work,fewer long nights and better hotels
Yea, but Walmart groopies!? :xpl:

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea well you can't have it all,but I can tell you the MILFs come out for the Motivational show's. Go figure ?

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Gotta Dell right now, but have to give it back (resigned from position) and getting a HP Tablet.
One problem though... between changing jobs I won't have a computer. No SVTP for an entire week!!!

Users who are viewing this thread