What kind of bird is this?

scottminot

Established Member
Was out for a hike today and saw this bird hanging out on a rock outcropping and snapped a few pics of it before it spotted me. Is it some kind of hawk? I saw a bunch of hawks circling overhead and thought this might be one their buddies.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

scottminot

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked like a vulture. I did a search for vultures and I thought it might be a turkey vulture. I had no idea we had vultures in PA. The only vultures that I ever saw were the ones you see on tv munching on some roadkill on a desert highway.

cthunder

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked like a vulture. I did a search for vultures and I thought it might be a turkey vulture. I had no idea we had vultures in PA. The only vultures that I ever saw were the ones you see on tv munching on some roadkill on a desert highway.

Turkey vultures are pretty common in PA... where theres a rotting corpse chances are a vulture has been there.

Thrust

Established Member
Those birds will not move out of the street while eating roadkill. I have even seen one get hit by a car, only to come back 15 minutes later to see his buddys parting him out.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
We actually had them up in Syracuse, NY too. They like open land fills quite a bit, as well as any carrion they can find, or create.

Technically Buzzards are a different species. Similar though.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Those birds will not move out of the street while eating roadkill. I have even seen one get hit by a car, only to come back 15 minutes later to see his buddys parting him out.

Yeah, one time in my old 99 GT I was going to work and a flock in the road saw me coming and took off flying in maybe a 2 o'clock direction away from me, when all of a sudden one of them busted a 120 and flew into my car. It hit the antenna(which I could hear the antenna smack the hell out of either the roof or windshield) and then it hit my windshield about midway up and I could see it start to roll over the top of my car. I was going about 60 so I know flying into the antenna had to hurt like hell, but I didn't see it on the ground in my rearview so I think it just rolled over my roof and started flying again. When it happened I was pissed because I thought it might have damaged my car, but I could find anything so I thought it was pretty funny.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I'm such a bird freak. Do yourself a favor and try and chase one down, if you get close to it, it'll vomit as it tries to get away.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'm such a bird freak. Do yourself a favor and try and chase one down, if you get close to it, it'll vomit as it tries to get away.

Now that is the truth! I've had one vomit on my truck and you want to talk about bad smell! I can't believe their stomachs don't just rot out.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Hahaha; yep thats a buzzard/vulture. Its pretty funny to watch them try and take off. Its like watching a fully loaded C130 get off the ground without JATO.

kingcato

Drunk Ninja
Established Member
I hit one of those suckers going 55 in my brothers dodge truck... lol when i got to school there were feathers stuck every where, they do not move very fast

Users who are viewing this thread