What is Your Best Defense Survival?

slider701

Established Member
Couple of items you might want to invest in:

- Small (portable) pair of bolt cutters to get through locks and wire fences
- Toilet paper - If you have women you won't last long if they cannot wipe their asses.
- Tobacco and Alcohol...........along with extra toilet paper..........all for bartering.

I'm pretty sure that when the shit hits the fan, the first 10 days will be chaos. If you have tobacco, alcohol, and toilet paper you will be able to barter for most anything.

If you're planning on bugging out you better have some on/off road enduro motorcycles because the roads will be blockaded and a bad ass 4x4 will still get you nowhere. You will need the cycles to travel power lines, and the bolt cutters to get through fences and gates. If you have access to horses, like we have everywhere here in TX then make sure you have a few saddles and know where you can snag a few horses in the middle of the night.

If you are planning on staying put you might want to get 10-20 lbs of quinoa:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa]Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Stuff cooks like rice but is high in protein and amino acids, making it an essential food if you could only take/store one item.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Proving once again that Oldmodman and Jimmy are the smartest two guys on the board. When the balloon goes up, I'm looking to join up with them.

With lots of shoes and socks.

Jim Snover

LOL James! Cell phones will likely be down so, do you want to PM addresses now while the internet is still up?

Is your house brick facing the street? Mine is, with no windows except on the sides and back and they can be boarded up easy enough with fire slots left in certain ones.
It will be interesting to see how long certain things last.
Water pressure, natural gas pressure.
Batteries will be like GOLD!
And GOLD will just be another heavy metal, paper money will be kindling.

You coming here with your boots and people? Bring some Jalapeño Cheetos, and some Chappell hill sausage if you find some, and more water of course.

I got my steel toe Redwings but I won't be going out that much.
Especially if most people do bug out. It will make finding stuff much much easier.
I will have to build a rain catch and dig a latrine.
Dogs are eventually going to have to get used to squirrel and crow.

Gun shots attract a lot of attention so people breaking into places and making a bunch of noise are going to get neutralized rapidly and their goods taken.

Overall it's going to be a bit harsher than most of us are used to now.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I've thought about it but have never taken the time to actually stock some supplies. I am saving for a Springfield M1A though.

sikryd

Established Member
Benelli 12 Ga
H&K MP5
H&K 30-06
Shorty AR-15
Dessert Eagle .50 cal
tons of ammo
enough styptic powder to stop a 3 foot hole from bleeding out, no really.
25 gallons of bottled water at all times (gotta love delivery).
Costco toilet paper pack, should last a year.
4 costco sized bottles of Tabasco
generator for my 60" TV and Xbox 360

I'm kinda fat! Scratch that, my fat has fat so I'm good for say 6 months no food.
After that, I will feed on the bodies of all these fit people who have died of starvation (thats what the Tabasco is for). One of two times being fat will pay off, the other is getting hit by a car.

So... I'd say I'm set. Plus I have a really fast car, so looting runs will be quick. Crap, I can't fit much in the trunk...

GoatSlayer

Banned
I have an army of goats. I have been preparing for the last 2 decades, and all i can say is that "Preparedness has finally been achieved"
goattraining.jpg

goatsoldier23504.jpg

goatgeneral23490.jpg

marinegoat23497.jpg

mpgoatpatrol23482.jpg

soldiergoat23491.jpg

wargoat23472.jpg

armygoat23509.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LOL! Good luck pulling those triggers.

MMMM goat cheese is pretty good. Good as guards..... meh not so much.

Actually they are not all that bad, geese too, not too bad as guard dogs, but they are both good eating so they probably won't last long, where as I don't think dogs are as yummy.

Just thinking out loud..:beer:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Stay out of dangerous situations? Be aware of the dangers in your area? Get a car with lots of airbags?

Last

Established Member
Stay out of dangerous situations? Be aware of the dangers in your area? Get a car with lots of airbags?

I think he is more concerned with dangers you can't avoid or see coming, see when he says SHTF that means you don't have time to get your stuff together, you have to get up and go that instant and only have from that point on what you have brought with you.

Which is completely a reasonable situation for an atheist to see happening. If you could imagine a situation if we knew a asteroid was about to hit Florida within 8 hours, and everyone in Florida had to leave immediately, if you had your stuff together, you would be out the door first and would not have to worry about your basic needs, thus saving you and your family. Because the rest of the people that didn't prepare would be scrambling for food, water, fuel, and would be stuck in the traffic of people that are 4 hours behind the prepared people.

sikryd

Established Member
I think he is more concerned with dangers you can't avoid or see coming, see when he says SHTF that means you don't have time to get your stuff together, you have to get up and go that instant and only have from that point on what you have brought with you.

Which is completely a reasonable situation for an atheist to see happening. If you could imagine a situation if we knew a asteroid was about to hit Florida within 8 hours, and everyone in Florida had to leave immediately, if you had your stuff together, you would be out the door first and would not have to worry about your basic needs, thus saving you and your family. Because the rest of the people that didn't prepare would be scrambling for food, water, fuel, and would be stuck in the traffic of people that are 4 hours behind the prepared people.

Thats why we have Bruce Willis and the Fifth Element.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I am impressed. I don't know what else to say. That hydration unit will come in handy.

Jim Snover

I have an army of goats. I have been preparing for the last 2 decades, and all i can say is that "Preparedness has finally been achieved"

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Couple of items you might want to invest in:

- Small (portable) pair of bolt cutters to get through locks and wire fences
- Toilet paper - If you have women you won't last long if they cannot wipe their asses.
- Tobacco and Alcohol...........along with extra toilet paper..........all for bartering.

I'm pretty sure that when the shit hits the fan, the first 10 days will be chaos. If you have tobacco, alcohol, and toilet paper you will be able to barter for most anything.

If you're planning on bugging out you better have some on/off road enduro motorcycles because the roads will be blockaded and a bad ass 4x4 will still get you nowhere. You will need the cycles to travel power lines, and the bolt cutters to get through fences and gates. If you have access to horses, like we have everywhere here in TX then make sure you have a few saddles and know where you can snag a few horses in the middle of the night.

If you are planning on staying put you might want to get 10-20 lbs of quinoa:

Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stuff cooks like rice but is high in protein and amino acids, making it an essential food if you could only take/store one item.

That is good advice. Also some other items I forgot to mention is a water purification system. Military purification tablets are good too. A waterbob could be very useful in a "bug in" situation.

txyaloo

Established Member

:lol: Dale knows what SHTF means. He's seen more SHTF situations than any of us.

ViciousJay

Established Member
My Cat-like reflex's are whats gonna save me, you can have all the guns and ammo in the world but when you cant hear someone coming from behind you, its GAME OVER!

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
My Cat-like reflex's are whats gonna save me, you can have all the guns and ammo in the world but when you cant hear someone coming from behind you, its GAME OVER!

^^^^^^^^

That gif in your sig has me paralyzed. I can't stop staring at it over and over.

lol

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
One thing to think about is transportation. This might not work for the most extreme circumstances, but during the last hurricane down here there was a gas shortage and the stations that did have gas had long waits. The line for the diesel pumps were almost always empty.

black 10th vert

Established Member
For the guys mentioning "Costco sized" provisions... how the hell will you carry all of that crap? It's really only good for a "bug in" type of scenario, but if you need to "bug out", small, light, and portable is the only game in town. Firearms are extremely important here, as you can "procure" what you need on the road, as well as protect what you already have. One of the biggest things to have in a small bug out bag is a combo of water purification tabs, and purification filter with a container. Without adequate water supply you won't last long enough to eat all of your other provisions anyway. Jim brought up a great point about footwear also. You can forget about cars and trucks, as the roadways will be jammed in no time if there is a real shtf scenario anyway, and that's not even mentioning what you will do after the 2-300 mile range of your gas tank is exhausted - especially if sitting on a jammed up freeway.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
For the guys mentioning "Costco sized" provisions... how the hell will you carry all of that crap? It's really only good for a "bug in" type of scenario, but if you need to "bug out", small, light, and portable is the only game in town. Firearms are extremely important here, as you can "procure" what you need on the road, as well as protect what you already have. One of the biggest things to have in a small bug out bag is a combo of water purification tabs, and purification filter with a container. Without adequate water supply you won't last long enough to eat all of your other provisions anyway. Jim brought up a great point about footwear also. You can forget about cars and trucks, as the roadways will be jammed in no time if there is a real shtf scenario anyway, and that's not even mentioning what you will do after the 2-300 mile range of your gas tank is exhausted - especially if sitting on a jammed up freeway.

Another thing you really need to think about is where are you going to go. I have a plan in place. I only have to go 15 miles to my families property out in the country. I can take all rural backroads to get there and I will be out of town in 5 minutes from my house.

Coiled03

Established Member
Another thing you really need to think about is where are you going to go. I have a plan in place. I only have to go 15 miles to my families property out in the country. I can take all rural backroads to get there and I will be out of town in 5 minutes from my house.

So, if the SHTF where you are, you think 15 miles away is gonna be perfectly safe? :dw:

Must be a pretty localized event you're preparing for.

Users who are viewing this thread