What is this?

Lance SVT

Established Member
Hey guys, I've been meaning to clean up my vacuum lines for awhile and decided to start messing around with it yesterday. My car has a Kenne Bell 2.6H that was installed by the previous owner and although everything seems to be hooked up correctly, I can't seem to figure out what this thing I'm pointing at in the pic is? It has a vacuum line hooked to one end and two electrical connector prongs that lead into a wire that goes through the firewall next to the brake booster. My car did use to have Kenne Bell flipswitch in it before I got it dyno tuned, could it be leftovers from that?

20150713_205630.jpg

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
its A hobbs switch to stage the pumps or transducer for boost gauge.
looking at it again it looks more like hobbs switch,where the car will run on one fuel pump & when it sees 5#boost it turns on the second one.

Last edited:

Lance SVT

Established Member
Thanks you guys! I just did some research online about it and I get what it does, although it sounds like most people just ditch it. So if I get rid of it, do I just cut the prongs off and twist or solder to two wires together?

TRBO VNM

its A hobbs switch to stage the pumps or transducer for boost gauge.
looking at it again it looks more like hobbs switch,where the car will run on one fuel pump & when it sees 5#boost it turns on the second one.

You are getting the Fore setup confused with the BAP. The hobbs switch can be used for many different functions. One of which you stated. But with the BAP it is used to turn the BAP on and off, or really the voltage increase to the pumps on and off. Both pumps are still running with the BAP and hobbs switch. With the switch in the Fore return setup it is used to turn one pump on and off like you explained. :beer:

Thanks you guys! I just did some research online about it and I get what it does, although it sounds like most people just ditch it. So if I get rid of it, do I just cut the prongs off and twist or solder to two wires together?

yes, cut the wires and tie them together. And frankly, if you haven't had the tune checked since you bought it, I would.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Correct again Jason! I was just thinking about Fore system! Keep me in the loop for next years MIR had A blast last year& would love to meet up with you next year!

Lance SVT

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! I now understand how it all works. I did have the car dyno tuned when I first got it. Do you think it'll mess up the tune by deleting the Hobbs switch? I'd think it shouldn't mess anything up since it should only make a difference under low throttle where the boost a pump will always be working now. I wonder if the Hobbs switch is the reason my car kinda hesitates between high revving but easy shifts instead of the pprv valve. I guess I will try deleting the Hobbs switch and see what happens. I can always hook it back up if it doesn't workout, but I really would like to delete it if it's not necessary.

GTIZZL

Established Member
I wonder if the Hobbs switch is the reason my car kinda hesitates between high revving but easy shifts instead of the pprv valve.

I wonder the same thing as well. My car has the hobbs switch and will hesitate under partial/heavy throttle. At full throttle, the car runs hard with no hesitation. I was told not to delete with my BAP setup as its the gt500 dual fpdm setup. I was told it would for sure burn up the pumps.

Lance SVT

Established Member
I wonder the same thing as well. My car has the hobbs switch and will hesitate under partial/heavy throttle. At full throttle, the car runs hard with no hesitation. I was told not to delete with my BAP setup as its the gt500 dual fpdm setup. I was told it would for sure burn up the pumps.

I will try it out tomorrow and report back to you on if it gets rid of the hesitation or not. I'm just running the stock pump with a bap.

TRBO VNM

Correct again Jason! I was just thinking about Fore system! Keep me in the loop for next years MIR had A blast last year& would love to meet up with you next year!

Trust me, have my share of brain farts. LOL

yeah man, always a good time. They also have 2 other big events you might be interested in coming down for. I know Jake has come down for either import vs. domestic or World Ford Challenge. Both great events.

Lance SVT

Established Member
I just want to say thanks to everybody for all the help! Deleting the hobbs switch from my car made a huge difference! What I though was a little bit of hesitation coming from the pprv valve was actually being caused by the hobbs switch this whole time. My car now pulls from top to bottom hard with no hesitation whatsoever! I also took the time to clean up some of my vacuum lines like I've been wanting to do, and did the boost bypass mod while I was at it, and made sure I ziptied down every vacuum line that has boost going to it so I don't have to worry about any vacuum leaks. It feels like a whole different animal now :)

Here's all the crap that came off the car!

20150716_173422.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread