What is this strange droning sound coming from my Terminator? (video included)

1bad_stang

*BAR-NONE*
Established Member
My car just started making this weird drone sound at redlights and stop signs. It sounds like it is coming out of the motor on the drivers side. I've had the car 8 yrs now with 80,000 miles on it now and have never heard that sound.
Thanks guys
Verlin
VIDEO0116.mp4 - YouTube

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
My ipad actually vibrated from listening. It is the sound like blowing over a jug? Almost like a fog horn type of sound? I've heard that from idle air controls before. Usually you can tap with a screwdriver or mallet/hammer right on the IAC or just unplug it while holding the throttle arm.

Did you check the normal stuff like cooling fan, throw out bearing, front accessory drive components, alternator, etc? Do you have a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver? How about a restricted catalyst? Is it running normal and are the idle RPM's normal?

What does it sound like from the top side with the hood open? Not coming from the oil pan like a cracked pick up tube? Do you have access to a lift?

1bad_stang

*BAR-NONE*
Established Member
My ipad actually vibrated from listening. It is the sound like blowing over a jug? Almost like a fog horn type of sound? I've heard that from idle air controls before. Usually you can tap with a screwdriver or mallet/hammer right on the IAC or just unplug it while holding the throttle arm.

Did you check the normal stuff like cooling fan, throw out bearing, front accessory drive components, alternator, etc? Do you have a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver? How about a restricted catalyst? Is it running normal and are the idle RPM's normal?

What does it sound like from the top side with the hood open? Not coming from the oil pan like a cracked pick up tube? Do you have access to a lift?

Blowing over a jug is exactly what it sounds like. Yes I've checked all the usual front drive accessories. The sound only happens at low rpm's around idle. It is loudest when its idling and I rev it a little. When the rpm's drop down the sound starts. With the hood open it sounds like it is coming out of the front drivers side or exhaust.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Check to make sure your IC fluid is moving, when the pump gets air locked it can sound just like that. My old '03 used to do that, tapping the pump with a mallet or squeezing one of the lines would fix it.

Last edited:

1bad_stang

*BAR-NONE*
Established Member
Update.. I finally got a chance to look and listen to the car and the noise is coming out of my air filter? Could it be the bearings in my Kenne Bell? Its been on for 50,000 miles now.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Update.. I finally got a chance to look and listen to the car and the noise is coming out of my air filter? Could it be the bearings in my Kenne Bell? Its been on for 50,000 miles now.

I wonder if your boost bypass is not opening correctly?

1bad_stang

*BAR-NONE*
Established Member
I wonder if your boost bypass is not opening correctly?

Well I just pulled the belt off the and started the car and the sound is still there just not as loud. When I put the belt back on its 2-3 times louder when it happens. And its only from idle to about 1300 rpms or so. It goes away when you barely touch the throttle.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I didnt listen to vid but there isnt much..

Hose under supercharger..or. the I hoses going behind drivers valve cover to egr Tube

Users who are viewing this thread