What is the verdict on the Predator R12 flash?

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I've got a dyno-time scheduled for Friday and I would like to have the extra fuel/spark adjustability in different RPM ranges as well as the ability to load more than one custom tune to the Predator at a time. It would really simplify things and I wouldn't have a reason to cart the laptop along. Has the R12 flash been deemed safe?

ALA G8R

Banned
I am using R12. It seems to be working fine. Plus the datalogging feature is fixed. You can datalog then upload the file to a PC and look at the results graphically. The PC software still needs a little work but it's usable.

James at RWTD told me that the WOT timing is reduced in R12. I have my timing set to 0% for both ranges and datalogging indicates 21 degrees. Much lower than the 26 degrees from the previous version.

James also indicated that R12 provides more fuel especially in the low RPM range. I left my fuel adjustments alone to be safe until I can get on a dyno and tweak.

Bottom line, I recommend upgrading to R12 if you have not been reflashed for the stall fix from Ford.

carlp

Established Member
My Predator was not functioning and was replaced by Willie from Diablosport. He said that the basic tune has not changed, but from a seat of the pants perspective I think it definitely had. My car's low and mid-range does not feel as strong with the same settings as I had before. MPH in the quarter is up. 116.7. I have K&N fipk, magnaflow cat-back and a 2.8 with the tensioner and idlers. The best part of the new revision is the 91 Octane Pulley tune. my wife got bad gas the other day, I changed to the 91 Pulley Tune and it took care of all of the detonation. As soon as tank was full of good gas again, I just switched back.

Ystang99gt

Established Member
Quick question if i already have a custom tune don't i have to put the stock configurations back, change it to the r12 software and reflash the custom tune?? Will my custom tune work with the new software??

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Ystang99gt
Quick question if i already have a custom tune don't i have to put the stock configurations back, change it to the r12 software and reflash the custom tune?? Will my custom tune work with the new software??

Yea you do. It's kind of a pain in the ass (I did it the other day) but I think it's worth it.

Yes your custom tune will work with r12.

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
Originally posted by Ystang99gt
You are correct. In all cases you need to flash the vehicle back to the Backup Factory Default Tune. In a since un-marry your Predator from your car, load the R12 update, once the update is flashed use the Predator in your car and it will act just like the first time you used it.

I am using R12 with the same custom tune that James gave me. Everything works great.

Ystang99gt

Established Member
Thanks everyone i just wanted to make sure i could still use my tune. I am going to upload the software tonight and mess with it some more.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I am currently using the stock pulley tune after my recent pulley swap and I had a great results as far as A/F goes. I just got dyoed with this last week. Would I be safe using the new pulley tune? I sure dont want to drop another $65 for a few dyno runs.

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
I am very interested in this development. I had a lot of problems with the predator pulley tune before.

I was detonating around 2500rpms which was killing my peak hp. I was also running a little too lean until 4000rpms. I pulled the timing all the way out and gained a little hp and a lot of torque. Still not a good tune though.

I guess that diablo has heard the same complaints that I had from others and fixed it.

So the consensus is that they pulled timing and added fuel down low on the new version? I just hope this is correct.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Mine works great with the pulley tune and I am hoping they didnt change it. I do only have a 3.2 which is a little larger than they suggested. But my A/F was perfect when I dynoed last weekend with my current mods. I want to upgrade for the datalogging and windows software but not if its going to change my current tune. Then it will be another trip to the dyno and I dont want to do that again for a little while. I sent Diablo Sport an email today so I should hear back from them soon. Maybe the minor changes wont affect it much. I will post what I find out.

Users who are viewing this thread