what is the best rebuild kit for 1998 cobra

1998jeremy

Established Member
My car 98 cobra has 150,000 miles and puffs alittle smoke at starts after its sets for a week its a weekend car and when i get in to it. I'm wanting to pro charge it but I want to rebuild it first and get some forged rods. And aome cams . But what is the best rebuild kis. I seen one on summit but its says sohc i don't know if that kit would work or not. Any info would be nice.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I don't think those kits would get you anywhere, especially if they are only for sohc. The cobra is dohc and I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a complete rebuild kit. Basically you just find the best deals on parts that you can (after doing research) and it ends up costing much more than you could have imagined lol. A set of forged pistons will be more expensive than that rebuild kit at summit, and that's only the beginning (and with aftermarket cams you may need valve reliefs). Time to decide if you want to stay on a budget - if so then replace your engine with a mark 8 engine (or similar option) or do a budget rebuild on your current engine. If you want to add a lot of power with a procharger then plan on an expensive rebuild- between the forged rebuild and procharger kit it will be more than most 96-98 cobras are worth.

1998jeremy

Established Member
Yeah I plan on doing everything right but im just new to these motors. I'm not going to ever sell the car so I'm not worried about what's its worth. I'm shooting for 500hp I think after forged everything with cams,boost,fuel system,head work and good tune I think I can reach 500hp. maybe?

Black Stang 97

Established Member
I'm just shy of 500rwhp on the stock long block. I have a Vortech pushing 10lbs. If your goal is about 500rwhp I dont think you need to go all out and spend thousands of dollars.

dowchr

Established Member
I'm currently rebuilding my 97. I had a Vortech V1, 42lb injectors, full exhaust and a stock bottem end. It made 425 rwhp. A bad tune caused the number 6, 7 and 8 pistons to crack. I will tell you right now, you can slap a blower on these cars and make a ton of power for a short time but eventually you will break the motor. Just surf around this site and look at how many 96 to 98 guys have rebuilt motors.

Ford built these cars with cast rods and pistons that are like glass. If you plan to keep the car go with forged internals. There are forged bottem end kits out there by Livernois, MMR and ModMax to name a few.

With a forged bottom end, a blower, the right fuel set up and a good tune you can easily make 500 rwhp.

Good luck.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
500rwhp doesn't take a crazy combination. Put a decent set of forged pistons and rods in your stock block, install a 340lph fuel pump and 42lb injectors and a D1SC Procharger (or comparable Vortech) and you'll easily hit your goal no problem. There is no reason to get into the additional expense of cams unless you're just wanting the sound.

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
Tabres is correct, you do not need cams to reach your goal. You can pick up a forged piston/rod combination for around 700-800 bucks from the companies previously mentioned. Also, make sure your crank is balanced for the new piston and rod combination. If not you will be tearing it back down as I've recently discovered.....

RollTideSon

Son...
Established Member
Ebay can be a good ally when collecting engine parts. Picked up these MMR 800's on the cheap.
imagejpg2-14.jpg

1998jeremy

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. I read that 96-98 cams are good with boost. Yes no? Is there anything to gain with doing port work on these heads? And sounds like ill be going all forged and d1sc or f1sc charger. Is there anything to gain besides sound with cams? I mean if I can reach beyond 500 that's great the more the marrier.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
cams are fine with boost. not really, well....bowl work and short side work but in this instance its not worth the cost for the level you want. cams...they will offer gains but not needed for your goal.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
B heads work well in high rpm situations, unless you plan on constantly using higher rpms it may be better to swap to 1999+ C heads and have better usable power. Porting B heads is probably not necessary, when my heads were at the machine shop they used heli coils to make my 4 thread heads into 9 thread heads - the 9 threads will be smart since you plan to use boost.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Thanks for all the info. I read that 96-98 cams are good with boost. Yes no? Is there anything to gain with doing port work on these heads? And sounds like ill be going all forged and d1sc or f1sc charger. Is there anything to gain besides sound with cams? I mean if I can reach beyond 500 that's great the more the marrier.

Longer duration cams will add power, a good amount if the are spec's correctly.

1998jeremy

Established Member
Sorry can you explain 4 to 9 threads? Sorry I'm 100% new to these motors its going to be first build of a 4v so I'm just asking as many questions as possible.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
B heads are no better than C heads on "high RPM" applications.

Do not use helicoils as spark plug threads...ever.

4 thread heads are fine for boost. Plugs blow out because people remove them when they are hot which is something you should never do.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I'm currently rebuilding my 97. I had a Vortech V1, 42lb injectors, full exhaust and a stock bottem end. It made 425 rwhp. A bad tune caused the number 6, 7 and 8 pistons to crack. I will tell you right now, you can slap a blower on these cars and make a ton of power for a short time but eventually you will break the motor. Just surf around this site and look at how many 96 to 98 guys have rebuilt motors.

Ford built these cars with cast rods and pistons that are like glass. If you plan to keep the car go with forged internals. There are forged bottem end kits out there by Livernois, MMR and ModMax to name a few.

With a forged bottom end, a blower, the right fuel set up and a good tune you can easily make 500 rwhp.

Good luck.

That's what I decided to do. My motor is at the shop now getting all Manley forged rods and pistons. IMHO if you decide to rebuild the motor, save a little more money and do it right with forged internals.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I would seriously consider replacing items like chain tensioner and chain guides. Or at minimum, check the condition of stock ones. Nothing worse then having a shiny new engine only to have to tear it down again for something small, cheap, and simple.

1998jeremy

Established Member
Yes when I rebuild it everything with be new or at least take it to the local speed shop to check out. And since I'm going ahead with cams I'll be replacing the hole valvetrain. only on plan to rebuild it once. Lol ok big question here the hellion complete single turbo kit or f1sc procharger? Anyone have a hellion turbo kit?

Kool_Guy84

Established Member
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1999 mustang cobra with 113,000 miles on it. This car runs great and has no issues. I want to get 400-450 horsepower range but do not want to do forced induction since the engine has high mileage. I want to pull this power plant and rebuild with forged internals. What would you guys recommend? Is there kits available for this? Am I on the right track?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BMCGC

Established Member
What is the obsession with 500hp?

Unless you are building a track car, 500hp is a waste of money for a street car, especially a DD. The engine will be worth more than the rest of the car at least 2x over. You do know a forged DOHC 4.6 with FI is going to run you close to 10k? More, much more if you have to pay labor to make it happen?

Are you upgrading the transmission? wheels/tires? suspension? rear end and gears? If not, you can kiss them goodbye on a high mileage car once you throw 500hp at them.

IMO the smarter move is to do a refresh on your current engine if it needs it, get a good tune, gears, suspension, and put more rubber on the pavement.

On my 97 Im working from the back forward/bottom up. Rearend, wheels/tires, suspension, tranny, exhaust, then engine.

Also, my Cobra, which is just a hobby is the last thing that gets my money, not the first thing. I pretty much retired at age 50, careful planning and good spending habits made that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread